• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

App Annie: Pokemon Go made $950 million in 2016

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
App Annie is generally considered the best mobile market research company, as most of the top 100 apps use their integrated dashboard to track their own earnings.

Pokémon Go generated an estimated $950 million in revenues in 2016, according to a report by market researcher App Annie.

Niantic Labs launched Pokémon Go on July 6, 2016, and it became a smash hit. Within a couple of months, Niantic announced that it had been downloaded more than 500 million times.

Source: http://venturebeat.com/2017/01/17/pokemon-go-generated-revenues-of-950-million-in-2016/

Ray Down

Banned
giphy.gif

I have to say congrats to Niantic for spotting this opportunity! (I'm assuming they were the ones that Pitched to Nintendo/PMC)

It was a really great decision, and although there are some issues with the game I still find myself playing it every day as I walk to work. Well done guys :)

The game was a cultural phenomenon. It was surreal seeing people playing it absolutely everywhere, passing by pokestops and seeing groups huddled around them and going to big public areas to see hundreds gathering. I honestly don't know if I will ever see something like that again. It may not have lasted but it was pretty amazing while it did.

aBarreras

I have to say congrats to Niantic for spotting this opportunity! (I'm assuming they were the ones that Pitched to Nintendo/PMC)

It was a really great decision, and although there are some issues with the game I still find myself playing it every day as I walk to work. Well done guys :)

google and nintendo came out with the idea on that aprils fool joke

The game was a cultural phenomenon. It was surreal seeing people playing it absolutely everywhere, passing by pokestops and seeing groups huddled around them and going to big public areas to see hundreds gathering. I honestly don't know if I will ever see something like that again. It may not have lasted but it was pretty amazing while it did.

You'll see it again this summer when the weather changes in most of the World and they release new Pokemon in the game.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So it made $800M in a little over three months, then roughly $150M in the following six months? Is that as precipitous a drop as it seems?
It came out in July. That said, yes, it is making less money now than it was. It's a Top 10 app these days, but not a #1 app like it was.

Mind, it's also winter.

Top Bottom