• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

App Annie: Pokemon Go made $950 million in 2016

kswiston

Impressive.

I haven't been following Pokemon Go news that much lately. Has the app dropped off in usership, or it it still up there?

I see the chart showing time to $800M, but all of those other apps took a long time to ramp up. Go was huge out the gate.

Griss

For their next mobile Pokemon game:

Just a plain battle simulator please. Nice and easy. Play vs the CPU or online. Rental teams or choose your own pokemon and earn / catch more.

Simple as hell.

sgjackson

How many golden pikachu statues is that?

I'm assuming there's some kind of weird shit about the actual process of making a gold statue that probably increases this number, but if it's pure gold it's around 70.

Pikachu's height is 16 inches - going off of artist reference sheets we can assume it's width and depth are about 9 inches. If we treat it as a cylinder to find its rough volume it has a volume of ~1017.88 cubic inches. A standard Good Delivery gold bar has a volume of around 38.5 inches, meaning it'll take 27 bars to make a Pikachu statue. A bar weighs 12.5kg, and the kilogram price of gold in USD is currently 39154.54, so 27*12.5*39154.54 = 13,214,647.13. Divide 950m by 13,214,647.13 and you get 71 statues.

True Fire

I wonder what the number will be in 2017? They'll need a pretty large scale overhaul this summer to recapture a respectable audience.

Biske

Just imagine how much it could have made if it was a great game.

If there was more to do and buying stuff like pokeballs wasn't such a waste, they could have got probably a good chunk of money for me.

But buying say 20 pokeballs to try and a catch a rare pokemon that popped up (Charmander) proceeding to waste all 20 and not catch the Charmander, I learned right quick never to do that shit ever again.

udivision

Well, there goes that whole thing about whatever arguments were being made about whatever it was that made Pokemon GO a bad idea some long long months ago.

Whens Gacha Emblem.

Yup. But split five or six ways ways, with large pies all over.

A modern "real" Pokemon game is split two or three ways, depending on how you want to look at it.

A mainline game also stops making any money after some time. It seems like this has the potential to avoid that inconvenience.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Well, there goes that whole thing about whatever arguments were being made about whatever it was that made Pokemon GO a bad idea some long long months ago.

Whens Gacha Emblem.

It unveils tomorrow, and is supposed to come out before the end of March.

fucking nuts

funnily enough I haven't spent a dime on IAP but have been playing Go regularly since launch

Pokémon IP is on another level. If they do a full fledged console Pokémon the Switch is a guaranteed success

ive been saying this for 10 years haven't i

ggx2ac

Not bad.

It's probably outdone the revenue of both Pokémon X/Y and OR/AS but if it hasn't yet, it will get there shortly.

Flip4k

The game was a cultural phenomenon. It was surreal seeing people playing it absolutely everywhere, passing by pokestops and seeing groups huddled around them and going to big public areas to see hundreds gathering. I honestly don't know if I will ever see something like that again. It may not have lasted but it was pretty amazing while it did.

It was absolute madness. My gf and I would drive around and capture gyms. We would lose every single one within 30 minutes. I doubt it'll reach those levels again.

antonz

Well, sure. But then they release another one and it produces another huge sales figure. :p

That and due to the splits it will take half a decade or more to make Nintendo the money a mainline game makes. That is not to knock it as extra money is extra money but it clearly shows why Nintendo wants to make their Mobile games companion games. Make a few hundred million here while also making hundreds of millions off main games is their end goal.

Mr-Joker

Banned
For their next mobile Pokemon game:

Just a plain battle simulator please. Nice and easy. Play vs the CPU or online. Rental teams or choose your own pokemon and earn / catch more.

Simple as hell.

The battle simulator series is dead and isn't coming back.

udivision

Well, sure. But then they release another one and it produces another huge sales figure. :p

True. There isn't a reason not to continue the shift towards annual releases.

The battle simulator series is dead and isn't coming back.

It would be a great idea for the quicker, shallower mobile experience like Yu-Gi-Oh Duel Links.. It could also be the first official tool for testing teams for competition, rather than people relying on Pokemon Showdown Live. There really shouldn't be a need for a thing like Pokemon Showdown Live by now.

Salmonax

It came out in July. That said, yes, it is making less money now than it was. It's a Top 10 app these days, but not a #1 app like it was.

Mind, it's also winter.

Gotcha - I misunderstood the chart. Thanks!

In related news, I feel like I've been level 25 for four of those months.

Pretty amazing, 'phenomenon' only begins to describe it. Everyone I knew was playing it, even completely unsuspecting people like friends parents and complete strangers would ask me about it.

KSweeley

fucking nuts

funnily enough I haven't spent a dime on IAP but have been playing Go regularly since launch

Pokémon IP is on another level. If they do a full fledged console Pokémon the Switch is a guaranteed success

ive been saying this for 10 years haven't i

Eurogamer reported in 2016 that GameFreak is working on bringing Pokemon to the Nintendo Switch: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-11-18-nintendo-switch-will-get-pokemon-sun-and-moon-version

A new version of Pokémon Sun and Moon will launch for Nintendo Switch.

Multiple sources tell Eurogamer the game is already well into development, will launch in 2017, and currently holds the codename of Pokémon Stars.

With Pokémon Stars, this idea will be revived - but for the first time we'll see the mainline Pokémon series spanning separate Nintendo consoles within the same generation of games.

Indeed, Switch will be the first Nintendo "home" console to receive a main Pokémon adventure.

Stars will now resume with the development of features not found in the 3DS versions.

Pokémon Stars' development shouldn't be seen as taking anything away from Sun and Moon's launch - this is how all third entries in the Pokémon franchise are developed.

And there will be reason to play both: Pokémon will be tradable between Sun/Moon and Stars via the Pokémon Bank app. We've also heard suggestion there will be more creatures to collect in the Switch version, although not all of our sources could confirm this.

Expect the Switch version of Sun and Moon to feature the same map - the same routes and cities - and the same art style, although be built using separate, higher-resolution assets.

KSweeley

Great news.

I still play it daily, I love this game.

I completely agree. I've played every Pokemon game and Pokemon Go. I've already decided to buy a Switch for Super Mario Odyssey and The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and reading from Eurogamer that GameFreak is currently working on bringing a Pokemon game to the Switch was great news for me.

I believe Eurogamer because they had published articles about the Switch that eventually got confirmed such as the confirmed 720p 6.2 inch multi-touch capacitive touchscreen, Eurogamer got word of the Switch having a touch screen in 2016: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-10-27-nintendo-switch-has-a-6-2-multi-touch-screen

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
That and due to the splits it will take half a decade or more to make Nintendo the money a mainline game makes. That is not to knock it as extra money is extra money but it clearly shows why Nintendo wants to make their Mobile games companion games. Make a few hundred million here while also making hundreds of millions off main games is their end goal.

Fact is simple

Pokemon go has been a win win situation for everyone involved, Nintendo (direct and indirect revenue from the game, brand awareness, sun/moon preorder and debut record and general sales, 3ds sales spike, merchandising rise) primarly

Dreavus

I'd love to see what people are spending on!

A big chunk of that has to be kids right? (and by extension their parents)? My nephew loves this game and uses up his pokeballs pretty fast. I don't think they've bought any for him but I could see other parents just buying a bunch.

Also "lures" must be popular, or at least were for a while. And maybe backpack expanders? I was considering one of those but now I just throw out extra potions/revives. Other than those two I've never felt the need to buy anything. The pokeballs you get from leveling up start to dry up around level 15 or so (when it starts getting slower and slower) but before then I never ran out.

For me it just needed something else. It was really fun for the first couple months since there were always new pokes to catch, and lots of people were playing it. But I was super disappointed with the gym/battle stuff, so once I caught a lot of my local pokemon types I stopped playing. I still have the app and jump on from time to time but the craze has definitely died down for me.

Eurogamer reported in 2016 that GameFreak is working on bringing Pokemon to the Nintendo Switch: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-11-18-nintendo-switch-will-get-pokemon-sun-and-moon-version

I've heard about that.

I don't mean an upped port. A game fully designed from the ground up for the Switch. One that would sweep people off their feet like Mario Odyssey did.

At least You can tell by the design of Sun/Moon, Poke Co. is almost ready for a full fledged

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I've heard about that.

I don't mean an upped port. A game fully designed from the ground up for the Switch. One that would sweep people off their feet like Mario Odyssey did.

At least You can tell by the design of Sun/Moon, Poke Co. is almost ready for a full fledged

I think that a Pokemon Eklipse (so, the third versions of Sun/Moon) with up-rez assets (that have been already developed, it seems) is the maximum we can expect for Switch in 2017 of course.

A new full fledged Pokemon game will arrive later on the life cycle

oti

Banned
Out of the almost 100,000s of mobile games very few mange to even break even let alone amass a staggering amount of in the hundreds of millions.

What people don't seem to grasp is that Pokémon GO could have been a lot more egregious with its F2P mechanics. Pay instead of walking around, pay for a chance to draw the Pokémon you want instead of RNG, pay for 100% perfect Pokeballs, implement some kind of ticket system in addition to the Pokécoins and so on. For Pokémon GO people don't really pay to win, as that would mean paying for XP doublers that don't do anything and there are no global rankings to compete for anyway. People pay to play and it STILL generates tons of money. That's the story here. But that's the strength of the Pokémon IP.

Top Bottom