• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

App Annie: Pokemon Go made $950 million in 2016

LordOfChaos

This is a company with ~70 employees *after* the Pokemon Go boom and under 50 before, that's a massive amount of money for them.

I hope they reinvest in more full Pokemon mobile games, since they have the rights to mobile.

LordOfChaos

How much does Nintendo get?

~10% I want to say? They told their investors to not expect much added cashflow from this.

pokemon-go-who-owns.png

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Anyone know how much of that goes to Nintendo they own 1/3 of the Pokemon ip.

While they own 1/3rd of the Pokemon Company, the Pokemon Company doesn't just funnel all of its revenue to its parent companies, otherwise it'd have no money to operate on.

I think analysts estimated it at something like 13%, with 10% coming from the arrangement in the first place, and 3% from getting 9% of what The Pokemon Company is making.

13ruce

Banned
~10% I want to say? They told their investors to not expect much added cashflow from this.

I guess this is right 30% goes to the app stores google gets a cut and niantic so there is probably like 30% left wich Nintendo gets a third of if you go by the Pokemon IP ownership.

So yeah 10% seems about right

DJ_Lae

That's really impressive.

I mean, I don't understand it, but I also don't understand the billions that other mobile games have made, either.

I wish Pokemon Go was a better game. It could be.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Not bad considering its barely a game and they dont really push you into iAP.

13ruce

Banned
While they own 1/3rd of the Pokemon Company, the Pokemon Company doesn't just funnel all of its revenue to its parent companies, otherwise it'd have no money to operate on.

I think analysts estimated it at something like 13%, with 10% coming from the arrangement in the first place, and 3% from getting 9% of what The Pokemon Company is making.

Yeah sounds about right thanks.

Hoo-doo

Banned
That's immense. Well fucking deserved too, it's a fantastic app.

Cue people whining that it's not a 'real' Pokemon game and that they should add feature X already.

13ruce

Banned
Half arsed mobile ports of beloved franchises are the future.

While the gameplay is not the most fun thing ever, the social interactions is why i liked it so much. Going to a place with a few friends or family and seeing 100s if not 1000s sometimes people play the same game, run in large groups, talk with each other, scream when a certain rare pokemon was there and more it was a very special experience imo.

DLaicH

It really was amazing how much of a cultural phenomenon it was at its peak. I would be walking around my apartment complex looking for Pokemon, and someone would shout from their balcony, "Hey, go that way! I saw an Eevee over by that dumpster!"

Even the Walgreens near my work is still selling little booklets with Pokemon Go tips. I was in there just earlier today and saw them near the register.

Ruff

It was fun for the first month seeing everyone around catching their pokemons. Sad that they did absolutely nothing with it and actually made the experience worse. Now I don't see a single person playing or interested in it anymore. It may have made bank but speaking as just a gamer I consider it a complete failure.

But I guess with that money they have no incentive to actually improve.

Daschysta

I won't forget certain moments. At its peak I had a path I'd walk after work each evening to play. At the pak there were 100 people playing and a level ??? Dragonite appeared out of NOWHERE! people might have died in the ensuing stampede it was nuts.

It was fun for the first month seeing everyone around catching their pokemons. Sad that they did absolutely nothing with it and actually made the experience worse. Now I don't see a single person playing or interested in it anymore. It may have made bank but speaking as just a gamer I consider it a complete failure.

But I guess with that money they have no incentive to actually improve.

I suspect the game wasn't developed well. The way it works as a mobile app is a bit of a mess. I'm not sure why Niantic didn't do a better job with 1.0, but hey, game development is hard work.

I suspect their next go around will be much cleaner, will actually operate like a proper mobile game, and be easier for future updates.

But as far as Pokemon Go is concerned, I think they probably retained enough users for a month or two which is probably pretty damn good under any measure.

Griss

Even if Nintendo only gets 10% (which I assume is done through licencing the Pokemon trademarks that they hold), the fact that Pokemon Company works entirely at Nintendo's benefit (and said trademarks being held by Nintendo means it will always be that way) essentially means that all of the money made by the Pokemon Company does end up benefitting Nintendo in the long run, even if it doesn't ever appear on their balance sheet.

Will be really interesting to see how well it will do in summer. It's obvious it will get a lot of people coming back in or as new players, but how much, remains to be seen.

I'd be curious to know its retention though. I can't imagine that the userbase is large anymore.
It's still one of the top money makers on mobile. Like yeah, it has dropped a lot in popularity, but it's still huge.

antonz

Back in October it was revealed Nintendo already made 100 million off Pokémon Go. So their initial investment into Niantic is paid back and they are making decent money for having little to do with anything

'i have played this game every day for over 200 days in a row.....it's rubbish'

Sounds about right for some people here.

Pokemon Go is like Nicotine. At first its pleasurable and gives you a buzz but after a while you get tired of it and want to quit, but it won't let you because its addictive.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Pokemon X/Y at 16 million units sold worldwide * $40 = $640,000,000 in total revenue (before all costs associated and assuming everything at full MSRP).

Not sure if this $950,000,000 number is before or after Apple's cut, but that $640,000,000 million is definitely before retail cut and cost of production.

DJ_Lae

What isn't there to understand? Simple, inviting games with low barriers to entry.

More how people get suckered into buying virtual currency to speed up the grind.

Which now that I type that out sort of explains itself, but you'd think most people would realize they're only being duped.

Top Bottom