• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transgender 101: A Starter Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey GAF. As a transgender woman, it’s hard not to see ignorance and bigotry sometimes. I won’t claim to be representative of every trans person, or anyone who identifies outside of the gender binary. I do hope that this thread can help to inform you if you have questions about the trans experience, or just want to hear another perspective.

What is this transgender thing, anyway?
I’ll start with a definition, because it is better than anything I could come up with myself. Merriam-Webster defines “transgender” as “of, relating to, or being a person whose gender identity differs from the sex the person had or was identified as having at birth”. That’s all fine and good: now you know the definition of the word. But what does that mean? When someone says “I’m transgender”, what are they truly saying? To me, it’s this: when I was 16, I had a realization. For all those years, I never wanted to date the girls I was into- I wanted to be them. Well, I did want to date them, but sexuality is an entirely different issue.

Wait, sexuality is different from being transgender?
Yes. To explain this simply, gender identity =/= sexual identity. A transwoman can be a lesbian, or bisexual, or asexual. The same way a non-binary person can be pansexual or a cisgender person can be straight. I mention this because it seems to be a common misconception. There are multiple reasons I hypothesize this happens: be it TERF propaganda about autogynephilia (the idea of being sexually aroused as a man by the thought of being a woman), or the simple fact that trans people are grouped under the LGBT+ umbrella. Again, a topic for another time, but GSM (gender and sexual minorities) is a much better term, in this humble poster’s opinion. It is both less exclusionary and clarifies better the identities it is speaking about.

TERF? Like, surf and turf?
Trans-exclusionary radical feminists, or TERFs, are a branch of pseudo-feminists who view trans individuals as mentally ill men and women who undermine the feminist movement are reinforce gender roles as a concept. They are, in short, regressionary at best. And at times, they are just as dangerous a group as the conservatives we all know and don’t love. Hell, at times, they are the same thing.
Wow, that all sounds terrible. What can I do to help transgender awareness and stop bigotry?
Well, by asking that question, you’ve taken the first step. Good for you. Now, I’ll defer to another poster who has compiled a list of agencies and actions that I find to be excellent.
Along side keeping states honest by voting and contacting legislators, there are many organizations that need support by physical or monetary help to protect trans peoples:

LGBTQ+ RIGHTS - Defense and support for minority genders and sexual orientations:
Lambda Legal
National Center for Lesbian Rights
The Trevor Project
Trans Lifeline
Transgender Law Center
National Center for Transgender Equality
GLAAD
National Coalition of Anti-Violence Programs
Again, thanks EdibleKnife, if you read this.
If anybody wants to offer critique or add to this OP, feel free to PM me. I would be completely open to that and as I said, I am by no means an authority.

Is (insert thing here) transphobic?
Typically, I wouldn't use the "if you have to ask" argument, but here, you likely are being unintentionally transphobic. If you misgender someone, you are being transphobic. Especially if it is on purpose. Transgender people have a right to being identified by their preferred name and pronouns: including shitheels like Caitlyn Jenner.

Final
I’ll be honest here: GAF has a transphobia problem at times. For a place that, truly, is one of the most liberal and moderated forums on the internet, it does feel as though certain groups are “favored” in discussions over others. This is not an indictment of the mods, or the users. This is my feeling, and I know I’m not the only one who feels this way. It’s a statement of fact. Trans people are ignored here for the most part. It feels like yelling into a void at times. So, in closing, I ask this: if you truly, deeply care about being liberal, about uplifting the underprivileged and giving a voice to the voiceless, show it. Oppose transphobia. Oppose homophobia, and racism, and the types of privileged perspectives that we so often see when discussing minority politics. Most of all, be decent. Be a good person.

pashmilla

Banned
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good shit go౦ԁ sHit👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌shit right👌👌there👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯 i say so 💯 thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good shit

take 'em to school gurl

edit: this is a compliment ya old fogies. all of us in girlGAF are rooting for TenCentCoast. Now stop derailing the thread by quoting this post.

sirap

👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good shit go౦ԁ sHit👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌shit right👌👌there👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯 i say so 💯 thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good shit

take 'em to school gurl

I had to google this to find out it was a meme. I am officially too old to keep up with the internet.

hypernima

Banned
Good OP, OP.

Been working on remembering pronouns for my Trans/Non-Binary friends. I gotta get used to using they/them in a singular mode.

Also have been trying my best to be behind them in this age where the government has been trying to shit on them even more. If you have people in your life who are transphobic, speak to them on behalf of your trans friends, helping their cause starts with the people you know.

BearPawB

Banned
I think it's still stigmatized because people don't come across it always in their daily life. And unlike "being gay" it's hard to hide. Which leads to gawking/transphobic comments.

I will never understand why people won't just treat people like humans. And respect them for the people they are, not who they think they should be.

So many great people working in games who also just happen to be transgender. If you are sort of transphobic seek some of these people out! Follow them on twitter! dont be hateful of something just because it's unfamiliar.

Treat people kindly. It's not that hard.

good OP, I have a lot of questions but really don't have any transgender people in my life to ask, hopefully I will be illuminated by this thread

Goldboy

Just want to say that this is a great thread. I'm super broke now but planning on making some donations to the organizations listed in the OP at some point.

Yayate

Thank you for this thread.

There's definitely a fair share of diet transphobia and concern trolling going around here. It's pretty ridiculous what some people get away with.

pashmilla

Banned
On a more serious note, I'm not trans but it seems to me that this thread is sorely needed. Dimes (OP) and others have expressed their anger and hurt at the level of casual transphobia that is allowed to slide here. GAF is liberal as far as gaming forums go but its treatment of the L, B and T in LGBT, ESPECIALLY trans people, is often shameful.

I guess what I'd like to learn more about is, what causes the brain to differ your gender from your sex?

I've read something along the lines in the case of an XY, the Y genes aren't being expressed as they normally do.
I'm sure that's just one example, though.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything

take 'em to school gurl

I can't tell if this is supposed to make fun of the OP or if it's a compliment.

Good stuff OP and thanks for making this thread. I hope some people can learn from it.

My personal experiences with gender are weird, and I don't know if I'll ever figure it out entirely, but that's fine with me, I think.

SpOOkyO

Neo Member
Thank you very much for the excellent OP. 😘
as a fellow Transwoman I appreciate it.
Thanks again.

Pau

Might have to put in a portion about why we shouldn't suddenly stop caring about gender now that trans people have more visibility in the public eye. :/

I think a lot of cis people take our gender for granted and say we wouldn't care about being misgendered. But if we actually lived through it we'd be singing a different song. And the whole "I don't see gender" thing sounds too familiar.

On a more serious note, I'm not trans but it seems to me that this thread is sorely needed. Dimes (OP) and others have expressed their anger and hurt at the level of casual transphobia that is allowed to slide here. GAF is liberal as far as gaming forums go but its treatment of the L, B and T in LGBT, ESPECIALLY trans people, is often shameful.

I want to piggy back on this because I have a question and I've thought about starting a new thread for it for a while. I know several LGB people who definitely don't support transgender rights, or do so hesitantly, or are outright hostile, and as someone who isn't part of the LGBT community, it kind of surprised me since simplistically I always see the term "LGBT" and not just "LGB". Is it a rarity for people who are lesbian, gay, or bisexual to not be supportive of the trans community, or is it more common than I imagine?

I want to piggy back on this because I have a question and I've thought about starting a new thread for it for a while. I know several LGB people who definitely don't support transgender rights, or do so hesitantly, or are outright hostile, and as someone who isn't part of the LGBT community, it kind of surprised me since simplistically I always see the term "LGBT" and not just "LGB". Is it a rarity for people who are lesbian, gay, or bisexual to not be supportive of the trans community, or is it more common than I imagine?

Discrimination within the LGBTQ community is absolutely more widespread than you think, unfortunately. Experienced it quite a bit myself as a bisexual man.

Thank you for the thread, I love everyone here.

Great thread, OP.

Treat people kindly. It's not that hard.

This x1000. It seems like the easiest shit in the world to figure out, but people still try and play pronoun games and get all psuedoscience-y bullshit on people who are just trying to fuckin' live.

I got nothin' but respect for trans people. Y'all deal with some bullshit that I can never begin to understand at anything but the most superficial empathetic level.

Good OP, and provides some nice coverage alongside the thread pashmilla made about bisexuality. Hope it helps someone gain a better understanding about being transgender.

Fate Of The Art

Neo Member
Just wanted to say thanks for making this thread. Here's hoping this helps to dispel some of the more commonly held misconceptions about transfolks.

Is it a rarity for people who are lesbian, gay, or bisexual to not be supportive of the trans community, or is it more common than I imagine?

I would say it's common on grounds of the distinction the OP hits upon, that of sexuality and gender identity. I, myself, have never understood why the acronym LGBT exists because I think its harmful to the Ts out there since a lot of LGBs do not support them. Remember, that a hateful person is L,G,B and, yes, even T is a irrelevant to why they are hateful. Hate isn't tied to who you want to fuck or how you identify. Also, the reverse can be true too. You can be a hetero Transgender person and not support homosexuality.

PSqueak

Banned
Been working on remembering pronouns for my Trans/Non-Binary friends. I gotta get used to using they/them in a singular mode.

Frankly, even in non gender discussions, this usage of They/Them as a wild card pronoun that technically is never wrong is the best thing ever and i can't believe i used to communicate on the internet without it before. Truly a blessing for non native speakers.

Frankly, even in non gender discussions, this usage of They/Them as a wild card pronoun that technically is never wrong is the best thing ever and i can't believe i used to communicate on the internet without it before. Truly a blessing for non native speakers.

This reminds me of a discussion I had recently, and it baffled me how little people seemed used to the usage of 'they'. Like, people claiming it was never, ever singular, and I'm just tilting my head at how they've never come across it.

I still don't really get it.

I mean, I respect it. I have nothing against it. I just have been curious about it for a while and don't really get it. Don't get why "gender" is something different than sex. Is it the social role we associate with certain sex? If so, then aren't those social roles a bad thing that limits who we are, and we should dispose of them?

Also, sometimes, most times actually I wish if I was a woman, because I prefer the social role given to them and maybe feel more comfortable with it. Does that makes me trans by definition?

Sorry if what I'm saying isn't clear or if I sounded offensive in any word I said. English isn't my first language, and if that happened, it was totaly unintentional. I'm legitimately curious here.

btags

Ok, I have a couple questions just to actually know proper terminology and stuff. First, if a woman transitions to becoming a man, would you refer to that as a transwoman or transman (obviously when actually referencing the person in normal day to day life you would use their prefered gender)? Second, with sexuality being distinct from gender, what would you say the sexuality is of say a man that transitioned to be a woman but wants to date men? Would they be considered straight or lesbian (basically is sexuality defined by the gender the person identifies with, their birth gender, or is there some whole terminology that I am missing out on?)?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can answer these questions. I just want to make sure that I know the terminology and can use it properly in the real world.

I would say it's common on grounds of the distinction the OP hits upon, that of sexuality and gender identity. I, myself, have never understood why the acronym LGBT exists because I think its harmful to the Ts out there since a lot of LGBs do not support them. Remember, that a hateful person is L,G,B and, yes, even T is a irrelevant to why they are hateful.

By the same logic a lot of LGBs do support us. It's about strength, I assume. I mean, we are one of the tiniest most persecuted minorities. I don't seek out support often, but I am so grateful there are communities and organizations there if I need to.

I mean, I respect it. I have nothing against it. I just have been curious about it for a while and don't really get it. Don't get why "gender" is something different than sex. Is it the social role we associate with certain sex? If so, then aren't those social roles a bad thing that limits who we are, and we should dispose of them?

Also, sometimes, most times actually I wish if I was a woman, because I prefer the social role given to them and maybe feel more comfortable with it. Does that makes me trans by definition?

Sorry if what I'm saying isn't clear or if I sounded offensive in any word I said. English isn't my first language, and if that happened, it was totaly unintentional. I'm legitimately curious here.

Welcome to why TERFs (and others, both feminist and not) can be at odds with the concept.

Unless your liking of 'feminine' attributes extends to the point you feel you actually are a woman, whatever your body, then you're still a dude that just likes feminine things. How you genuinely identify is what matters here.

Ketkat

Gender roles have nothing to do with it. Its about your gender identity, the innate sense inside of yourself about what you should be. As far as I can tell, cis people don't notice it because there isn't an issue with it for them.

Ok, I have a couple questions just to actually know proper terminology and stuff. First, if a woman transitions to becoming a man, would you refer to that as a transwoman or transman (obviously when actually referencing the person in normal day to day life you would use their prefered gender)? Second, with sexuality being distinct from gender, what would you say the sexuality is of say a man that transitioned to be a woman but wants to date men? Would they be considered straight or lesbian (basically is sexuality defined by the gender the person identifies with, their birth gender, or is there some whole terminology that I am missing out on?)?

MtF would be transwoman. I'm not going through all of this work to still be called a man.

A transwoman that is only into men is straight.

pashmilla

Banned
Ok, I have a couple questions just to actually know proper terminology and stuff. First, if a woman transitions to becoming a man, would you refer to that as a transwoman or transman (obviously when actually referencing the person in normal day to day life you would use their prefered gender)? Second, with sexuality being distinct from gender, what would you say the sexuality is of say a man that transitioned to be a woman but wants to date men? Would they be considered straight or lesbian (basically do you define sexuality is defined by the gender the person identifies with, their birth gender, or is there some whole terminology that I am missing out on?)?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can answer these questions. I just want to make sure that I know the terminology and can use it properly in the real world.

For your first question: FtM (female to male) = transman. MtF (male to female) = transwoman.

Second question: Sexuality and gender are separate. If a MtF woman wants to date men, she is straight. If she wants to date women, she is a lesbian. And so on.

Well you can't really separate your identity from the society your'e living in can you?

collige

Banned

1. Transman. They're still a man, with trans being a modifier like, gay, straight, white, etc.
2. Straight. Sexuality is defined with respect to the person's identified gender.

mollipen

Ok, I have a couple questions just to actually know proper terminology and stuff. First, if a woman transitions to becoming a man, would you refer to that as a transwoman or transman (obviously when actually referencing the person in normal day to day life you would use their prefered gender)?

Reference is always to the gender they identify as. So, a woman transitioning into a man would be a transman.

Second, with sexuality being distinct from gender, what would you say the sexuality is of say a man that transitioned to be a woman but wants to date men? Would they be considered straight or lesbian (basically do you define sexuality is defined by the gender the person identifies with, their birth gender, or is there some whole terminology that I am missing out on?)

Same as above, you always determine things by how they identify, not what they were. So, if a man has transitioned into a woman, they would then be considered straight if they're interested in men.

I was once told by a the head of a student run university LGBT centre that Trans people maybe don't belong in the community because LGB is all about breaking gender norms and T folk reinforce them. Which is bullshit of course as that pressure is usually because of the generally very old very male very cisgender gatekeepers that literally decide if we're really trans or not in the eyes of the medical community. God knows I was way more traditionally feminine basically up until I got my surgery and then I settled into a much less traditional style afterwards when the pressure to perform was off.

btags

For your first question: FtM (female to male) = transman. MtF (male to female) = transwoman.

Second question: Sexuality and gender are separate. If a MtF woman wants to date men, she is straight. If she wants to date women, she is a lesbian. And so on.

Thanks, that clears it up a great deal. Also, forgot to say in my first post but thanks for the thread OP!

Cels

cis hetero men who refuse to date trans women or cis hetero women who refuse to date trans men: transphobic or no?

mollipen

cis hetero men who refuse to date trans women or cis hetero women who refuse to date trans men: transphobic or no?

No, but I know 99% of others will disagree with me on that.

Edit: Well, let me clarify. "Refuse" may fall under a "yes" for me, but there could be other reasons for that (like excelsiorlef's mention below of wanting biological children). Not interested in because they aren't attracted to trans people? That I don't consider transphobic.

Depends on why... is it because they want biological children? Than nah not really. Is it because ewww you used to be a man or woman? Then absolutely yes.

As others have said, it depends. It's very much a "I don't date black people, sorry, it's just my preference." type of thing.
So yes, it's probably being transphobic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom