• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen to use only Vulkan API

Renekton

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/7581676/#Comment_7581676

Years ago we stated our intention to support DX12, but since the introduction of Vulkan which has the same feature set and performance advantages this seemed a much more logical rendering API to use as it doesn't force our users to upgrade to Windows 10 and opens the door for a single graphics API that could be used on all Windows 7, 8, 10 & Linux. As a result our current intention is to only support Vulkan and eventually drop support for DX11 as this shouldn't effect any of our backers. DX12 would only be considered if we found it gave us a specific and substantial advantage over Vulkan.

Geedorah

0e3.png

Seriously though, implemented right - I don't have any issue with Vulkan at all.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Do the ps4 and xbo even support vulkan?

I don't think they do? I think Switch might. Star Citizen seems like a game that would release on PS5 and whatever Xbox exists then, and if Vulkan is still around at that time, I'm sure both of those future hypothetical consoles will support it.

Makes sense to me, would be nice if more support headed in that direction. DX12 is basically a first party Microsoft tool locked down to windows 10 "store" so piss on that if you can get the same or better performance with much better compatibility across several platforms.

Not yet, but that's the way those kickstarter games work. They always announce console versions at a later point.

As mentioned by them before, two things need to happen for SC to come to consoles: more power (PS5 or XB2), and removal of the cert process for their updates. They plan to release new authored content every two weeks or so, and no way can they wait a month for an update to be approved. See: tf2 on consoles.

I don't think they do? I think Switch might. Star Citizen seems like a game that would release on PS5 and whatever Xbox exists then, and if Vulkan is still around at that time, I'm sure both of those future hypothetical consoles will support it.

I don't think the OG XBone and PS4 supports Vulkan. The PS4 Pro probably does, but I doubt it is really needed since the PS4 and PS4 Pro have their own low level API's. Scorpio probably could run Vulkan, but I doubt that it is supported by Microsoft. Microsoft exclusively uses DirectX for their consoles. Switch does support Vulkan however.

DieH@rd

Banned
Do the ps4 and xbo even support vulkan?

PS4 has its own low-level API from the day 1 [which is most likely even faster because it is optimized only for one hardware and one OS]. There is no need to have recently unveiled DX12/Vulkan on it.

Xbone launched with DX11, but then it switched to [slimmer version of] DX12.

The more games that push Vulkan, the better - there's simply little reason to use DX12, and if more devs finally move away from DirectX, maybe the industry can teach MS a little lesson. Maybe.

But in any case, nice to see SC going the more flexible route that lets more people play.

Vash63

This is awesome news, and it's especially cool that they're planning on removing legacy D3D11 support eventually. Is this the only true Vulkan exclusive game announced so far?

Chev

Wasn't the whole purpose of using Cryengine (and now Lumberyard) so they could dispense with dealing with low-level graphical layers? Doesn't switching to Vulkan graphics negate that?

KKRT00

Btw the work on migration to DX12 started more than year ago.

----
Wasn't the whole purpose of using Cryengine (and now Lumberyard) so they could dispense with dealing with low-level graphical layers? Doesn't switching to Vulkan graphics negate that?

You are mistaking writing the whole engine from scratch with changing rendering pipeline to use full advantage of new APIs.

Saweeet.
dx14 will be out by the time this game is done
Is it ever coming out at all?
When development hell freezes over.
using_imagination_scnma1j.png

Replace "pics" with "receipts".
Is Star Citizen coming to either one of them?
To xb1 or PS4? Nah. To their successors? Maybe. It depends on how much peripheral support they have and whether or not their customer populations would be arbitrarily separated by MS and Sony. Beyond the technical problems of bringing SC to current gen, a problem in the road for next gen consoles would be that Chris Roberts wants all the game populations playing in the same simulated persistent universe. MS and Sony are not too friendly about allowing intergame meshing across the competitor platforms historically.
Not yet, but that's the way those kickstarter games work. They always announce console versions at a later point.
I think SC is a statistical outlier at this point. So much so, that predicting facets of its development and course vis-a-vis otehr kickstarters is not so... convincing.
CryEngine was originally chosen under a uniquiqe context and set of circumstances when you think about it. At a time before UE4 when the game's internal scope was different in a number of ways. CE was, at the time, the most advanced engine graphically and had the vehicle set up support to make the game. Now since the game has had so much funding, they can afford to match the design scope on a technical level, hence how they have basically a large portion of the old CryEngine rendering and architecture team in Frankfurt and a lot of low level graphics coders in the UK.

Chev

You are mistaking writing the whole engine from scratch with changing rendering pipeline to use full advantage of new APIs.
Sure, but they've already had to rewrite the physics and entity management to get their multiple physics grid thing and 64 bit coordinates going, and also rewritten the netcode, and part of the animation system, and now graphics too.

There's what, audio left before they've gone full Theseus Paradox?

Akronis

HURR DURR LOL DEVELOPMENT HELL NEVER RELEASED SCAAAAAAAAAM.

Literally every Star Citizen thread.

OT: Hopefully their implementation won't be a disaster like so many other low-level API games have been

HURR DURR LOL DEVELOPMENT HELL NEVER RELEASED SCAAAAAAAAAM.

Literally every Star Citizen thread.

No, you are just incredibly biased.

We have a thread which is almost all positive so far, where the discussion revolves around what it means for SC and Vulcan, but you just have to front-load your comment and ask for trouble.

Lister

Banned
No, you are just incredibly biased.

We have a thread which is almost all positive so far, where the discussion revolves around what it means for SC and Vulcan, but you just have to front-load your comment and ask for trouble.

OK....

This game is vaporware.

When development hell freezes over.

Is it ever coming out at all?

Hmmm....

Yeah, no he's right. It's not a Star Citizen thread without the same nonsense - it's never coming out, and when will the PS4 Pro version be announced.

Top Bottom