• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen to use only Vulkan API

These comments are so dumb to me. When has a game with this kind of scope been made in like 3-4 years? When has a game with this kind of scope been made at all? Of course it'll take long, it's still humans working on it and there will be difficulties.

We're in the 6th year.

Akronis

We're in the 6th year.

>Game has a scope larger than most games ever created
>WHY IS IT TAKING LONGER THAN MOST GAMES

ME:A took 5 years, Elder Scrolls Online took 7 years. This is an MMO AND a full SP/Coop experience. It's going to take a long time.

Chev

the game was basically a different game
That's part of what has people worried though. some of them wanted that other game.
has a scope larger than most games ever created
Feature creep is not an excuse, it is a symptom. Having that huge scope is only a plus if the game is finished. If most of it isn't implemented, that scope is meaningless and may even take away focus from what the game really needs.

Akronis

Feature creep is not an excuse, it is a symptom. Having that huge scope is only a plus if the game is finished. If most of it isn't implemented, that scope is meaningless and may even take away focus from what the game really needs.

One, the scope creep stopped years ago. Two, they've already said some of the features will not make it to release candidate and will be added alongside the extra content after release.

If anything is going to end up tanking development, it's going to be Chris Robert's obsession with perfection.

Dmented

Banned
My hope is that this will give Vulkan a major push for devs to use. So we don't have to be forced to use Windows 10 and possibly downgrade to 7 if we so wish to do. Or Linux of course.

Akronis

Hasn't that been the main issue, thus far? Things get done, then he tosses them in a trash.

The main one was them dumping Illfonic after they were dissatisfied with the FPS component they had created. I believe they stopped outsourcing after that fiasco. I'm not aware of anything else major being thrown out, but I could be wrong.

TankRizzo

Banned

ME:A took 5 years, Elder Scrolls Online took 7 years. This is an MMO AND a full SP/Coop experience. It's going to take a long time.
None of those were crowd funded.

TankRizzo

Banned
Cool, how is that relevant to development time?
They're playing with house money and no incentive to actually finish the game. They know suckers out there will blindly throw their wallets at them at any and all updates. So why finish the game when the gravy train has no brakes?

Akronis

They're playing with house money and no incentive to actually finish the game. They know suckers out there will blindly throw their wallets at them at any and all updates.

That's true, but then why would they bother even trying to work on the game? Why would they spend money on 4 studios staffed with hundreds of employees?

At the end of the day, you're totally right though. They could just be pushing bullshit and never intend on finishing the game. It'd be the absolute end of Chris Robert's career plus a bunch of other execs, but it could totally happen. That's just how crowdfunding is.

Chris has made some great games in the past, I'm hoping he can use the money to make his best one. As long as they keep showing progress, I won't worry. Maybe that makes me overly optimistic, but meh, better than being cynical.

That's part of what has people worried though. some of them wanted that other game.

There was no other game, just a different scope/implementation. But during the kickstarter chris made it clear that they would change how depending on how much they got. They detailed what they would do if they got minimum asking price. They got more than that before kickstarter was finished iirc.

And game doesn't have an issue with feature creep, stretch goals stopped over two years ago and most of them weren't even major features. Alot of them were, hey you can get this space bonsai tree or gun.

I am not sure why exactly I bother though because this misinformed stuff comes back time and time again.

They're playing with house money and no incentive to actually finish the game. They know suckers out there will blindly throw their wallets at them at any and all updates. So why finish the game when the gravy train has no brakes?

Because a finished product would also net them more money for simply managing the finished game that crowdfunders already paid for? The logic is, it is either vaporware or not. They spent way to much for it to be vaporware (not to mention it is in a playable form), they have way to many established names attached and valuable devs from the industry to simply not do anything. It is more of an easy win for them to complete it.

KKRT00

So you think that 350 developers are in a scam to make a game till infinity?
Are you crazy?

-----
Hasn't that been the main issue, thus far? Things get done, then he tosses them in a trash.
Only Illfonic work and not even all of it.

-----
We're in the 6th year.

Not true, but lets post inaccurate information, instead of checking wiki ...

Spectone

I backed overgrowth which has been in development for almost 9 years now with no sign of release. Some people are just impatient.

gfxtwin

Is it ever coming out at all?

giphy.gif

Zalusithix

Sorry, I wasn't clear,

was a quote from Chris Roberts in October 2012.

One year in by small indie game standards perhaps. SC/SQ42 is very much AAA game territory at this point. That prototype stage doesn't mean anything as far as modern SC is concerned. (For all intents and purposes nothing from that stage even exists anymore.) Right now in a given week, more code would be written, more models designed, etc. than the entire year leading up to the Kickstarter.

One year in by small indie game standards perhaps. SC/SQ42 is very much AAA game territory at this point. That prototype stage doesn't mean anything as far as modern SC is concerned. (For all intents and purposes nothing from that stage even exists anymore.) Right now in a given week, more code would be written, more models designed, etc. than the entire year leading up to the Kickstarter.

I don't think re-writing code resets the development start? Sorry I'll go with Chris Robert's own date.

Zalusithix

I don't think re-writing code resets the development start? Sorry I'll go with Chris Robert's own date.

Count the time however you want. Chris could have wrote a couple of lines of code 10+ years ago if he was so inclined to start the arbitrary timer. That doesn't really change when the real current production level stuff started happening. To treat all time as equal and ignoring all other circumstances is rather silly, even if it has an element of truth to it.

Count the time however you want. Chris could have wrote a couple of lines of code 10+ years ago if he was so inclined to start the arbitrary timer. That doesn't really change when the real current production level stuff started happening. To treat all time as equal and ignoring all other circumstances is rather silly, even if it has an element of truth to it.

Chris Roberts said they started in 2011, that's a fact, no? It's not me that's counting however I want, it's you, against the words of the main Star Citizen guy. Did Duke Nukem Forever start in 2010 because that's when Gearbox picked it up? Did Star Ciziten start in 2017 because the scope is ever increasing?
Chris Roberts says 2011, it's his game, that's good enough for me.

Newboi

At this point, it's almost nonsensical to me that anyone would support DX12 at this point. Maybe MS's support and documentation is so much better than devs don't want to deal with it, but it makes no sense not to use an API that offers nearly an identical feature set as DX12, is open source, and it's cross platform, which lowers development costs.

On a side note, since Star Citizen is a game that's meant to be supported an upgraded for years, would that mean that the team will introduce new visual enhancements even after the game's release? It would be cool to see a game that visually improved as hardware got better. I guess the real incentive for this would be if they had a monetary platform to support such visual upgrades...

Zalusithix

Chris Roberts said they started in 2011, that's a fact, no? It's not me that's counting however I want, it's you, against the words of the main Star Citizen guy. Did Duke Nukem Forever start in 2010 because that's when Gearbox picked it up? Did Star Ciziten start in 2017 because the scope is ever increasing?
Numbers are just that, numbers. Without further details they mean little. I'm not debating when some arbitrary start point happened, as that means little when trying to meaningfully gauge progress.

I could write a chapter in a book and let it sit for a couple decades and then finish it in a year. Then I could slap a "20 years in the making!" blurb on it and it'd be technically correct and my word as the creator. That doesn't make the statement useful though.

Counting the time before the Kickstarter is similarly correct, but ultimately misguided if you want an accurate portrayal of the dev progress of SC.

gatti-man

Who is they? His developement studio didn't even earnestly exist until late 2012.

"Smart" decision ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

This is great news, using Vulkan will go a long way in making the game playable to more people, the stuff that's used it so far has been pretty impressive.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Wonder if this means Vulkan support will make its way into base Lumberyard or it'll just be in Star Citizen's implementation of it.

KKRT00

On a side note, since Star Citizen is a game that's meant to be supported an upgraded for years, would that mean that the team will introduce new visual enhancements even after the game's release? It would be cool to see a game that visually improved as hardware got better. I guess the real incentive for this would be if they had a monetary platform to support such visual upgrades...

Yeah, thats the plan. Its also a reason why the build everything modulary and in scalable way, so improving tech will be easier in future.

How will Nvidia perform with this?

Also unrelated but is grinding a ship tedious? I can't imagine dropping 60$ for a game only to grind for a week to get a single ship.

DieH@rd

Banned
How will Nvidia perform with this?

Also unrelated but is grinding a ship tedious? I can't imagine dropping 60$ for a game only to grind for a week to get a single ship.

Basic ship is included even in the cheapest version of the game. Also, the game has fully featured bigass singleplayer campaign, and there you will fly fancy military ships.

KKRT00

Its not WoW, its a sandbox game, you will be able to earn wealth in many different ways.
Also Auroras are fully capable both in combat and exploration.

Ps. You could buy a game for 35-40$ for like two years :)

Zalusithix

Also, the game has fully featured bigass singleplayer campaign, and there you will fly fancy military ships.
This is true, but only if you fork over the extra $15 during the order phase to pick up SQ42 with the SC package or vice versa. The days of both being included in a base package price are over. Still, even with that caveat, both games together are no more expensive than a single AAA game.

One, the scope creep stopped years ago. Two, they've already said some of the features will not make it to release candidate and will be added alongside the extra content after release.

If anything is going to end up tanking development, it's going to be Chris Robert's obsession with perfection.

It never ceases to amaze me how much patience you guys have dealing with the same drive-by shit posts. The number of times "why is it still in development?" and "but that feature creep!" have been explained over the years is mind boggling.

Vulkan implementation is going to be really interesting. Performance across a wide range of PC builds has been my only recent concern for this game, but I always felt that even if it ends up becoming another Crysis it wouldn't be much of an issue, just more of a talking point and a big driver of hardware adoption. The rate at which they've been hiring ex-Crytek staff, and everything they've shown lately on environment design, has been really promising.

Top Bottom