• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How is your "gaming budget"

Dabi

Budget always goes out the window, especially this year. Best thing I can do for myself is too think long and hard about which games are day one purchases for me and get the rest on deals.

Haven't really had a need to budget. The amount of games I'm interested in is well within my expendable income, and I try to buy most things on sale.

wamberz1

One steam purchase (10-20$) every month, one big triple A purchase (70-80$) every other month (depending on if there is something I actually want)

Celcius

°Temp. member
I keep a spreadsheet of all the games I'm interested in. As the year goes on I already know what I'm going to want to buy for the most part. Then when the time rolls around I simply buy it.

_Clash_

I'm thrifty by nature, gaming included. But I play a few games well and rarely have an active backlog of purchases if ever. 1 game in, 1 game out usaully.

but i get Nintendo consoles day 1 usually

I probably blow 50USD a month on gaming (including hardware)

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I have a PayPal account with money from sold items that pays for new stuff.

Just sold my NES, SNES and Master System for $1000AU. Megadrive is next. So the account has about $1400 in it right now.

kennyamr

I separate $120 per month for games only.

Having said that, if I need more or less, that amount can change really easy.

galvatron

Haven't really had a need to budget. The amount of games I'm interested in is well within my expendable income, and I try to buy most things on sale.

Same here. I did splurge on hardware this year with an AVS, NT Mini, and Switch in the last couple of months, though. That's pretty unusual for me.

Gurnlei

I usually upgrade most of my PC for ~$700 every 4 years or so, buy at least one current gen console, $30/mo for the two MMO games I'm playing (casually for the most part) and ~$50/mo for a new game.

Nothing is set in stone though. Some months I buy a bit more some months I go without buying anything.

Dabanton

Unlimited. But my time is not.

So I buy a game when I really want to play it.

So recently that was Horizon Zero Dawn and Ghost Recon,

My "gaming" budget is really just my hobby budget, since I have a few. I would say on average its anywhere from $200-800 a month. But I buy like 2 games a year and game like 2 hours a week. I spend most of my hobby money on bigger purchases.

I've only bought two full price games this year - Horizon and Persona 5. I only plan on paying full price for RDR2 if it comes out this year and that's it. Everything else I'll wait til it's under $25 or so.

Honestly, unless you're dying to absolutely positively play a game as soon as possible and have the time to play it fully, you should just wait a couple of months for a decent discount. Everything goes on sale so fast nowadays, it's awesome.

RMI

Banned
I haven't bought any full price games this year. I don't have a "gaming" budget, per se, but rather a budget for things that aren't essential. Sometimes if I have money left in that budget I will buy games.

Samikaze

Used / on sale games only, unless I absolutely have to have it on release day. Thankfully that's rare. Last one was Nier : Automata, before that was Deus Ex, before that was Witcher 3.

I don't budget for my games, but I only buy them when I have overtime or a nice cash flow going on.

120v

if i want a game i just buy it, though with the sheer insane release schedule as of late i've been paring that back some... has to be a killer bargain or something i know that won't get lost in the backlog

for "big purchases" like GPUs, monitors, ect. i try to keep it at once every six months or so. for example i really would like a Switch and could afford it but i just bought a gaming laptop, buying a $400 zelda machine seems superfluous in the gist of living expenses, and i'd feel kind of shitty going through with it

TheXbox

No need to budget. I buy so few games these days that it's not a big deal if I wanna throw down $60 whenever I get some downtime.

Maxinas

No problem buying 1st party nintendo games at full price. Normally wait for a sale for playstation games however (unless i really want the game eg. persona 5)

EndMerit

Too-Damn-High.jpg

Then again, money you waste to things you enjoy isn't wasted money.

Voke

Banned
Pretty random, I buy what I want. In the past two months alone I bought Resident Evil 7, Nioh, For Honor, Horizon, Zelda, and NieR. But I didn't purchase a new game last year until around May when Uncharted 4 came out. So whenever the industry calls I buy.

Usobuko

Banned
I buy whatever I want, that's sound a lot but lately my preferences shrank considerably.

I'm not really limited by money because gaming expenses are kinda trivial to my overall monthly expenses.

lem0n

I just buy what I want when I find it for a decent price, unless it's a new game that I've been hyped for. I generally can afford to do that when I want because I live well within my means these days. That was never feasible before so sometimes I need to slow down and remember to save.

TransTrender

Gold Member
Meh. Time is my most limited currency, but with that said I never pay full price for a new game between Best Buy GCU and Amazon Prime. Since my backlog is pretty big I skip on most new games but have my alerts for when new games get cheap and when games that have been out for a few months drop well below the discounted price after GCU or prime.
Like for this month I bought BotW because I couldn't pass on that, Toad Treasure Tracker, The Last Guardian, Yoshi Wolly World, and World of Final Fantasy. Nier and Horizon are on my top 'to get' list right now.

UNless the game is something I want and can play right now, I'm not paying full price. Most 've paid is £30 (new games have been coming in at £42 to £50).

Plus I use a £14/month Gamefly-ish rental in the UK called Boomerang so I don't miss out.

For super big AAA releases, I try to just buy games that I really want to own, or ones that my public library doesn't have. Due to this, I just buy 1 full-price game every 3-5 months, with the Amazon prime discount bringing it back from 80 C$ to 60 C$.

I used to dabble with the occasional PSN sale/free game in between the big releases, but I'm a bit too busy to even bother anymore.

I don't think I really had a budget before 2017 started. Since then it's pretty much been an obligation.

I try to not go higher than two full-priced games per month (or higher than 100€ worth of games). So I had to skip some stuff lately so my finances wouldn't get too fucked up, like RE7 and Nioh.

Totally fucked up my budget in March by buying the BotW Special edition though along with Horizon, Nier and a bunch of games on sale on PSN. 2017 is horribly hard to manage.

muu

With a young kid around I get through a couple games a year if I'm lucky. Having said that, if something catches my interest enough I'll buy what I need to play it. Titanfall 1/2 have been day1 purchases, Nintendoland multiplayer was some of the best multiplayer gaming w/ friends in a while, Vive and VR has been very fun for short bursts that I play either by myself or w/ others, Switch and BotW have been fantastic. Probably spent a grand on Granblue Fantasy during the 18mo or so that I played it.

I limit myself to 2 games a month. I got 3(Zelda, BOI, Nier) this month but that's only because of the Switch being a new console. Plan on buying Persona 5 and Mario Kart 8D next month. Of course some months there is nothing I want.

Arrrammis

Maybe 2-3 new games a year. College kind of takes away any gaming time (except mod smash bros/mario kart nights) and money, so I really get my mileage out of games (Destiny kept me going for 2-2.5 years, Titanfall 2 is fantastic and is still going strong for me, and now it looks like BOTW will last a while (gotta get those
900 Korok seeds
). Otherwise, some f2p games like World of Tanks, SWTOR, and Paladin help save money if you can resist the microtransactions.

Squarehard

My collecting budget is typically $10k a year.

So far I'm under that since I started keeping track in 2011.

From 2011 through 2016, I've only spent about $42k on games, anime, figures, etc.

I'm only a little over $2k this year, so I'm doing pretty good so far. :D

1/4 of my income goes to games, 70% of that to Nintendo. Easily $3K-5K a year minimum.

Really? I didn't even know Nintendo had 70% of $3-5k/year worth of games to buy...

I mean, I love Nintendo don't get me wrong. I own every system and I buy a decent portion of their games per year, but still... There's no way I'm forking over that much per year on them, even counting the hardware. What are you buying? Amiibos or something?

Top Bottom