• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How is your "gaming budget"

I don't really have one. If I really want a game, platform or whatever I buy it. I don't play enough games or have interest in enough games for it ever be an issue.

Koh

Unless it's a super Black Friday-esque sale, I don't buy a game until I've finished the one I was playing. I also typically play at least one PS+ game a month, often multiple depending on offerings.

Playing time keeps my money budget from ever being a concern.

CEJames

My collecting budget is typically $10k a year.

So far I'm under that since I started keeping track in 2011.

From 2011 through 2016, I've only spent about $42k on games, anime, figures, etc.

I'm only a little over $2k this year, so I'm doing pretty good so far. :D

That's definitely some book management right there....

But I rarely buy at $60 and usually 1 RPG that takes about 1 to 2 months to platinum along with 1, maybe 2 Pick up & Play titles at 15$ or less that are good for a quick burst for when I get tired of the RPG I'm playing. The RPG can be anywhere from 20 to 40....

So in monetary value...$30 to $60 a month for all 2 or 3 games maybe? Or if the PS+ titles are good for the month (on Vita, PS3, or PS4), then I don't even need to worry about a Pick Up & Play purchase then

Neonep

I don't really have one. If I really want a game, platform or whatever I buy it. I don't play enough games or have interest in enough games for it ever be an issue.
I can also agree with this. In all honesty gaming is a cheap hobby especially if you have a full time job. The older you are it's more about time and less about money, when you are younger it's more about money and less about time.

Setmeni

If something is coming out that I want I just drive for Uber until I have enough to pay for it, I'm probably 4 days away from my Switch right now, but I can pay for a game after 3 hours. This way I don't use any of my actual income on video games.

Type40

Really? I didn't even know Nintendo had 70% of $3-5k/year worth of games to buy...

I mean, I love Nintendo don't get me wrong. I own every system and I buy a decent portion of their games per year, but still... There's no way I'm forking over that much per year on them, even counting the hardware. What are you buying? Amiibos or something?

Yea the first year of amiibos was like $750 total for one of each at retail. With the drought the last year i've been filling in holes of my Wii, Wiiu and 3ds collections. And Nintendo Nendroids aren't cheep.

$300 on the Vans x Nintendo collaboration.

Like others money is less an issue these days for a while anyway, its time.

My "budget" is based on time I have to play at the moment compared to how quickly I want to start but maybe not finish. I bought things like Bloodborne and Transformers Devastation a year and 4 months ago. I just beat them... heck even started playing them. Given it was a sale where I bought them the fact remains it took me a year to even start them.

Next game I buy day one is most likely Persona 5, and after that maybe Ace Combat 7. There is simply too much to play for cheaper or already in my back log to day 1 everything anymore. Least thats what I have to tell myself when shopping or passing on sales.

FingerBang

Hard to say. I'm single, have a decent job and a life that isn't too expensive, I can spend from 0 to around 700$ a month on games without ending up starving. Last 6 months have been pretty expensive between Pro, PSVR and Switch, but I don't see that happening again this year. I will get a gaming PC when I get my June bonus though.

I don't have any specified budget in mind right now and in the past.

I recently went all digital though because in the past I would just buy a bunch of shit knowing if I didn't like it I could get rid of it. It cost me a lot of money.

Buying digital makes me only buy what I know I definitely want and will play.

One thing I do try to budget is PSN Flash Sales, I try not to spend over $20 no matter what, same with Steam sales.

However I am going to start budgeting games out, I'll be moving to Hong Kong in 2 years for work so I need to keep my finances in better shape.

Mozendo

My collecting budget is typically $10k a year.

So far I'm under that since I started keeping track in 2011.

From 2011 through 2016, I've only spent about $42k on games, anime, figures, etc.

I'm only a little over $2k this year, so I'm doing pretty good so far. :D

Wow, I feel so poor ;_;

Reszo

I dont allow myself to buy games at $60 anymore, can't really justify collector's editions so those are a no-no.
I may spend about $60 or so every couple of months on games bu that's usually more than one used game that adds up to that.

Bookman

I save 300 sek (Swedish crown) every month for hardwarw on a special account. Usually I just buy the new consoles from that account, I also trade in games when I prebooked new consoles on gamestop. This usually allows me to buy ps/xb/ni consoles at launch without much fuzz. Its kind of empty now so I'm not sure if I'm going to uppgrade to scorpio at launch.

When it comes games I try to limit myself to 10 fullprice game a year, but I have actually great economi right now so its more of a symbolic thing.

But if you counting my new tv, the vr headset, the uppgrade to ps4pro I have probably spent way to much money these last months.

I try to save for consol upgrades (used to be every 4-5 year but now the world is upside down) and I have money to buy fullprice games and if my economy changes I just go into sales-mode.

MikeyB

Sort of a feeling. I get a PS Plus subscriptions and probably spend about $120-240 (CDN) throughout the year on games, excluding when I buy a new console. So less than a dollar a day.

Haven't needed to budget, I can pretty much keep up with buying every game I want.

90%+ of my entertainment spending is games though.

Luminaire

Unlimited. I buy what I want when I want. Time is now the issue as I juggle work, social life, and entertainment/hobbies.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Thanks to the current status of the Canadian dollar, I make it a point to not go full price on a video game anymore ($79.99CAD). Strictly case by case basis nowadays.

Garnox

This last month was probably one of my more costly months... BotW ($45), ME:A ($65), crate keys for Rocket League ($10), and Captain Toad ($20) comes to $140 this month.

I make enough to cover these expenses, but this month in particular had more expenditures. I'd say at most I'd spend this much maybe every six months. So ~$280 a year max?

rainz

Maybe one game per month, and rarely at full price..
That is not including humble monthly and GWG/Ea Access subs though. I realised last year i had/have too big of a backlog to buy full price games anymore..

Squarehard

I get this too. I end up buying lots of things I don't really want or need as a result.

I hear that.

After a long drought, I somehow end up spending more than I would gave wanted to had I just spent normally in the previous month, lol.

It's a vicious cycle. T___T

kuroshiki

I actually find that to be part of the fun.

Always make sure to put it on my spending list whenever I spend money on something. XD

You're probably better off.

It's like an addiction to me.

I get withdrawals from not buying anything for too long. @_@~

wow. now this sounds trouble.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I have a $150 "Entertainment" category set in my budget, that is mainly for games. Rarely goes over, most months it tends to be under $100 spent.

It's more of a soft target, but its what I aim to stay under. I tend to make special categorizes for stuff like new hardware though, and it doesn't get filed under the standard entertainment budget. Like I had $500 budged for the Switch Launch. (Which I went over because I impulsed bought bomberman)

Trojan

My wallet has gotten destroyed in the last year from gaming, but it's still within my budget. New gaming PC, PS4 Pro, and Samsung KS8000 were my biggest purchases but damn it was worth it to make the 4K upgrade.

EDIT: to directly answer OP's question, I have a broader entertainment/discretionary budget that includes gaming. Won't give a number but I travel most weeks for work so basically have zero spend from food/gas/utilities when I travel. That gets funneled back into my savings and entertainment budget which gives it a nice bump.

1 new game a month if that month has something I want. So far January bought Yakuza 0, February bought Horizon Zero Dawn, March is Mass Effect Andromeda and next month will bring Persona 5.

I've also bought other smaller games as they go on sale. So far this year I've bought Dear Esther, Virginia, Oxenfree and have both What became of Edith Finch and Cosmic Star Heroine preordered.

I'll eventually buy any games I missed later such as RE7, Nier Automata, Tales of Berseria and BoTW when I get around to actually buying the switch which will probably be whenever Xenoblade 2 comes out.

vegohead

I've created a cycle where i have two to three games I'm always playing. Usually two AAA games and one indie. And since I don't play new games (because of price) I can get older titles for cheap. I only spend 60 or so every couple of months. But that's for 5-6 games.

What sucks is that I just caught up to 2015 and I'm having to spend more. Also most games this generation has quality dlc/expansions so that adds up as well.

MrXavier

My gaming budget is seemingly unlimited as it's pretty cheap, what I lack is time to be honest. I end up buying average 4 games a month, whether I beat them or not is another deal.

Top Bottom