• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I just wish we'd get a mainline FF with turn based similar to Persona 5

The Dude

I'm not sure how others feel about persona but the turn based combat has style and feels really good, it's satisfying. And I feel FF could easily do this but it's as if that type of combat is the plague to that series except for perhaps some offshoot games with the FF name.

I'm playing FFXV now that thr patches are in and Its a catch 22 where I enjoy the game, but I still find the combat to be just way to much happening it feels very chaotic to me even tho I scored A+ on most battles... Alot seems to be my party, and me warping around slaughtering everything.

But when I'm playing Persona 5 and I see people get so jazzed with this series I can't help but think how ff could have a turn based system with some series style. There's so many creative ways to set it up that damn it just sucks.

Persona has such a great turn based feel to it, so hard to not wish ff was similar in its own way.

For me the best turn based combat comes from Atlus. Shin Megami Tensei as a whole is the best there is when it comes to fast, thrilling and fun turn based combat. It doesn't need an ATB meter to make battles stressful either, the combat system is really fair and every encounter has a chance to give you a major reality check.

Square's recent turn-based game World of Final Fantasy can't even hold a candle to it. Square-Enix needs to take a good long look at the stuff in Persona 5 and SMT4: Apocalypse and see how they can make their turn-based combat more engaging.

The Dude

For me the best turn based combat comes from Atlus. Shin Megami Tensei as a whole is the best there is when it comes to fast, thrilling and fun turn based combat.

Square's recent turn-based game World of Final Fantasy can't even hold a candle to it. Square-Enix needs to take a good long look at the stuff in Persona 5 and SMT4: Apocalypse and see how they can make their turn-based combat more engaging.

Atlus is so great at turn based games, totally agreed.

raven777

Personally I am fine with recent FF's combat systems and feel it is one of the least problems (along with music) in the series for me.
I really enjoyed the ATB combat systems in FFX-2 ~ FFXIII trilogy, FFXII's combat was also fun and even FFXV's action combat was fun when it actually works.
But to be fair I am not a huge fan of very classic turn-based combat system (I dislike FFX's combat) and combat system is not the reason why I love Persona series.

Demoskinos

There are 15 mainline games plus side stories my dude. There are plenty of turn based Final Fantasy games. If you want a modern one that's World of Final Fantasy. Check it out it was very overlooked. I don't think we'll ever get a pure turn based Final Fantasy ever again in the mainline series though tbh or at the very least for awhile.

FluxWaveZ

An aside: The Persona 5 development team experimented with real-time combat for the game in its early stages. The reason they gave for ditching it was because going with that would mean abandoning their years of accumulated know-how for turn-based games.

Graciaus

FF X-2 was funnier, though. I still need to try FFXIII.
Don't. Battle system is automated unfun garbage. Looks real flashy though.

Bravely default is the closest we get to ff games with turn based. Seeing as how ff15 sold a crap load we won't be going back ever.

Lilo_D

For me the best turn based combat comes from Atlus. Shin Megami Tensei as a whole is the best there is when it comes to fast, thrilling and fun turn based combat. It doesn't need an ATB meter to make battles stressful either, the combat system is really fair and every encounter has a chance to give you a major reality check.

for me it's etrian odyssey series which has best turn base combat system

The Dude

I actually would take 12s combat over XVs, I find XVs combat to be just a chaotic mess where a lot of the time i can't even see what or where anyone else, just a blob of enemies and graphics.

asagami_

Banned
An aside: The Persona 5 development team experimented with real-time combat for the game in its early stages. The reason they gave for ditching it was because going with that would mean abandoning their years of accumulated know-how for turn-based games.

And thank god for that.

Ray Down

Banned
Not really, I'm fine with anything as long as it's fun.

Though never make some turn base system as slow as FF9 again.

Kashiwaba

FFXV was good it just needed more strategies, difficulty and better AI, it could have been much better but somehow it felt rushed.

Edit: the big bosses fights like Titan they was actually bad.

13ruce

Banned
Or let platinum games or the KH2 team do the combat omg....Nier Automata like combat or real Kingdom Hearts like combat in a FF game? That would be insanely cool. Ofcourse in it's own way not littarly a copy of those games.

FFXV's combat was a cool idea but it needs to be a bit better imo.

I don't mind turn based games going action aslong as the action gameplay is nicely done.

Good news, there are FF games with turn based combat. 13 of them to be exact.

People realize how poor of a comment this is, right? As if we can't be displeased with the direction of a series and want a different evolutionary path and thus have to play old games we have already played instead of new games that utilize a new form of the very style and genre trappings that got us to enjoy them in the first place, right?

Like does anyone say stuff like this when other series or games change up things?

Dark_castle

I have a bad feeling XVI would be action based again. As the technology continues to improve with photorealistic graphics (unless SE decided to switch gear to cartoon-ish, stylized art direction) and complex animations and such, I think SE will continue to make action combat since they're more "realistic". I mean, nobody just stands or loiter around exchanging blows in real life.

Dodged a pretty massive bullet there. Plus, the kind of people Persona appeals to are generally going to be pretty open to turn based, menu driven combat.

Xbro

Honestly Atlus has some of the best turn-based systems, and they'd be better off just copying it in some regard.

Press Turn is the GOAT.

inner-G

Banned
It's a big reason why X is my last favorite in the series.

I haven't really liked the combat of any of the games since.

Thoraxes

The thing that P5 gets so right is just how fast it is (to the point where it takes longer for the animations to play out than it does for me to make menu choices), and how trivial they make a lot of their previous menu-ing with the addition of the R1 functionality. Seriously, it's amazing how much it sped up every aspect of combat (coupled with everything assigned to a face button), and how smart it is 99% of the time.

Lynx_7

Telling people who want a new turn-based mainline entry to just play World of Final Fantasy is like telling someone who wants a Breath of Fire sequel to just go play the mobile game.
Alright maybe not that bad, but it's not really what people have in mind when they say they want a new turn-based FF.

mortal

Gold Member
I want Square Enix to keep experimenting with battle systems. I don't want turn based just for the sake of it, that would be too regressive.

Personally, I would kill to see more context sensitive environmental effects or damage from the battles. An deeper more permanent version of what was in FFXV.

Styles

Stick to Persona games then?

aguilera-fat-294x300.jpg

I have a bad feeling XVI would be action based again. As the technology continues to improve with photorealistic graphics (unless SE decided to switch gear to cartoon-ish, stylized art direction) and complex animations and such, I think SE will continue to make action combat since they're more "realistic". I mean, nobody just stands or loiter around exchanging blows in real life.

I didn't know people could use magic in real life either. Such a lame reason to shun turn based games.

Brokun

I'm not sure how others feel about persona but the turn based combat has style and feels really good, it's satisfying. And I feel FF could easily do this but it's as if that type of combat is the plague to that series except for perhaps some offshoot games with the FF name.

I'm playing FFXV now that thr patches are in and Its a catch 22 where I enjoy the game, but I still find the combat to be just way to much happening it feels very chaotic to me even tho I scored A+ on most battles... Alot seems to be my party, and me warping around slaughtering everything.

But when I'm playing Persona 5 and I see people get so jazzed with this series I can't help but think how ff could have a turn based system with some series style. There's so many creative ways to set it up that damn it just sucks.

Persona has such a great turn based feel to it, so hard to not wish ff was similar in its own way.

I'm with you OP. Let's be pals.

FFX was probably the last great turn-based entry. That was 2001...

Yes!

Me too, but it's not a popular opinion.

Turn-based is apparently "archaic" or so it's been said.

For sure. I dislike that notion as well. Let's also be pals.

Bingo.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I want Square Enix to keep experimenting with battle systems. I don't want turn based just for the sake of it, that would be too regressive.

Personally, I would kill to see more context sensitive environmental effects or damage from the battles. An deeper more permanent version of what was in FFXV.

Pfft. Regressive. XV's combat was regressive. As in we went from good turn based combat to bad action based combat.

thats your wish for final fantasy? I have something very different.

13 and 15 just seemed to have rejected the high fantasy element of having diversity of various intelligent or playable species. FF12 had 1 character with rabbit ears but at least it had the FFT characters in there as npcs. If you want that kind of thing it seems like its just going to be the MMOs with any kind of race diversity.

Persona at least has a talking cat.

mortal

Gold Member
Why? What's regressive about turn-based systems?

Because it's been done ad nauseam. Turn based for the sake of turn based isn't interesting at all, especially after 10+ FF games, not even counting the spin offs. At that point the interest seems based in nostalgia more than anything.

The best battle systems come from experimentation, whether it draws from ATB or the realtime.

Frankly I could go without another game doing archaic old turn based like that again. If you're going to do turn based at least do turn based tactical to give it some depth. I mean that both literally and figuratively.

I say this as someone who is enjoying Persona 5, but finding the combat just ok.

Whales

Banned
I hate ATB garbage, just give me true turn based ala FFX again. I loved FFX gameplay.

ATB is just not fun at all

mortal

Gold Member
Pfft. Regressive. XV's combat was regressive. As in we went from good turn based combat to bad action based combat.

I mean, sure. I never said FFXV's battle system was perfect or even great. All I said was that I'd like to see more environment affected by battles.

Top Bottom