• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil:Vendetta release dates announced;First review says it's Action & Horror

Jawmuncher

Details from GameSpot on the DVD& Bluray releases on July 18th. While the digital version will be available June 20th (which is a day after the theatrical fathom event showing)

Source : http://l.gamespot.com/6017855FR

3227950-rev27ux2.jpg

3227879-glennarias33u8z.jpg

4K/Bluray Combo Pack
Resident Evil: Vendetta Bonus Materials

4K Ultra HD/Blu-ray Combo Pack and 2-disc Blu-ray

Three featurettes:
The Creature
Motion Capture Set Tour with Dante Carver
CGI to Reality: Designing Vendetta
Still gallery (30 sketches/designs)
Filmmaker audio commentary (in Japanese) with Director Takanori Tsujimoto, Executive Producer Takashi Shimizu and Writer Makoto Fukami
Bonus disc with three featurettes:
BSAA Mission Briefing: Combat Arias
Designing The World of Vendetta
2016 Tokyo Game Show Footage

Digital
Digital

Three featurettes:
The Creature
Walk-around on set (motion-capture) with Dante Carver
CGI to Reality: Designing Vendetta
Filmmaker audio commentary (in Japanese) with Director Takanori Tsujimoto, Executive Producer Takashi Shimizu and Writer Makoto Fukami

DVD
Filmmaker Audio Commentary (in Japanese) with Director Takanori Tsujimoto, Executive Producer Takashi Shimizu and Writer Makoto Fukami

--------

First Review

There was also a review from anime-now who claims the film was "the perfect amalgamation of the game series’ survival horror and over-the-top action roots."

Detailing that the film is split into two main parts
The film itself is split cleanly into two main parts. The first is horror oriented, like the first few games, and follows Chris and his team in a classic Resident Evil-style mansion. It’s scary, full of tension, and basically evokes all the best horror moments the franchise has to offer. It is also quite ultraviolent and does not shy away from graphic scenes of gore in any way.
3227881-rebecca8ck53.jpg

The other large chunk of the film is action-based, like many of the games over the past decade. It is full of crazy action akin to The Matrix, Equilibrium, or John Wick (as seen in the clip above). It’s so over the top that it’s laughable as Chris and Leon blaze a path through dozens upon dozens of zombies with ease. Yet, at the same time, it still fits with the melodramatic core of the film—and the franchise in general.

Overall they were positive on the film and said it should be a treat for fans of the series. Reading the review it sounds like those who felt RE7 was missing some elements of prior REs such as the melodrama, should be at home here. More info at the review link

Source: http://www.anime-now.com/entry/2017/04/30/230001

Cardon

Hmm, guess I'll just give this a go and see it in theaters if it's playing near me. Last time I did that it was Tekken Blood Vengeance and I walked away disappointed.

Jawmuncher

Hmm, guess I'll just give this a go and see it in theaters if it's playing near me. Last time I did that it was Tekken Blood Vengeance and I walked away disappointed.

I took a friend to watch that with me and was so embarrassed in how bad it was. I apologized repeatedly for dragging them to it.

Does Roger Craig Smith still voice my boy in this? If so then I might have to buy it and watch it with some friends.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I actually kind of like the poster.

Obviously I'll be on this, I did like Resident Evil Damnation and enjoyed Degeneration enough. Hope Vendetta can meet or surpass Damnation. These movies are something of a guilty pleasure if I'll be honest, and I'm happy a third's been made (and hope they continue).

BadWolf

Been on a media blackout of sorts since the first trailer, looking forward to seeing what RE7 could have been.

Dusk Golem

Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

So the first half is good and filled with tension and the second half is over the top action and dumber. Basically a movie that represents the game series up until RE7.

Looks good, I've enjoyed both past CG films.

I wonder if Vendetta will explain something on
why Chris may be involved with Umbrella
or not (maybe only on RE7 DLC)

Dusk Golem

People talking about Final Fantasy CG films comparisions do know this is the third CG Resident Evil film, right?

The first one released in 2008 (Resident Evil: Degeneration), the second one in 2012 (Resident Evil: Damnation). If we want to go back further, there was a 20-minute '4D' film (CG film ride in amusement park with a film and effects like air, rats simulation against the ankles, etc.), in 2000 (Biohazard 4D-Executer). This isn't anything new to the series.

People talking about Final Fantasy CG films comparisions do know this is the third CG Resident Evil film, right?

Are any of them good at all? I saw... the first one, not Damnation, but heard that was bad. I'm cautiously optimistic for at least the first half of this.

KDC720

The two previous CG movies were good fun, canon with the games too so I'll absolutely give this one a watch.

I hope Rebecca gets her share of the action. The teaser or whatever they showed a few months back made it seem like she was getting relegated to the "princess needs saving" trope.

Dusk Golem

Are any of them good at all? I saw... the first one, not Damnation, but heard that was bad. I'm cautiously optimistic for at least the first half of this.

Define 'good'.

I liked Damnation, I thought it was a considerable improvement over Degeneration, but in the end it's still a Resident Evil CG films based in the game universe and I can't see the appeal going much further than series fans. For what it's worth Leon is a lot more likable in Damnation than Degeneration (in the original airport one, Leon kind of acts like a robot, in Damnation they made his characterization pretty close to his RE4 counterpart with some dumb (but amusing) witty quips and more confidence than emotionless), the basic plot I think is better (more charismatic side characters, villain, etc.), the CG is better, it has much, MUCH better pacing than Degeneration (which kind of moves at a molasses pace at times), and has the added bonus that there's some good fan service, like there's a pretty fun fight scene between a group of Lickers and a T-102 Tyrant (this might be the only piece of RE media where we see B.O.W.s being used for their purpose, warfare, though it's rebels in a dictator Russian country trying to get their freedom back). And Claire gets swapped out for Ada as the secondary RE character, if you prefer her. It's lacking any horror context though, it takes place between RE5 & RE6 but also lacks over-the-top action.

(Vendetta seems to be going both for more horror and more over-the-top action, see how that fairs but might be a fun watch). 4D Executor you can find for free with subtitles in English on Youtube, it's non-canon as fuck but does have a "army group goes to Raccoon City and goes through hell" kind of horror set-up.

I enjoyed it, but I'd only recommend it if you want to see a Resident Evil-esque story in a movie format. But if you do, Damnation is definitely an improvement over Degeneration.

kc44135

I'm actually pretty excited for this, and I love the idea that it transitions from a pseudo horror movie to ridiculous action and gun fu. My only reservations are that Chris and Leon just look so ugly in this, there's no Roger Craig Smith (major bummer right there), and I honestly kind wanted Rebecca to tag along with the rest of the bros and kick some ass. Unfortunately, I'm getting the impression from the trailers and such that she'll just be a damsel in distress here, which is kind of a shame considering how long she's been absent from the franchise. Oh well, still hyped, nonetheless.

I like what I've seen of this movie so far a lot. I'll buy e.v.e.r.y.t.h.i.n.g.
I'll do like RE7's ending never happen though, just because of the new face. I like Chris' dark hair and outfit design in that movie.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Day one for me. Hope it's as good as Damnation and Leon is just like this in Vendetta as well. Smart ass Leon is best Leon.

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal

Damnation is much better than Degeneration. If you like the campy action horror stuff from RE2 and 3 with Mr X and Nemesis, I think you'll like it. Degeneration's action just wasn't as good and it took itself too seriously.

TreIII

Can't wait.

Definitely hoping we get a game that continues that RE6 combat engine and "hero action drama".

Top Bottom