• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guerrilla Games Horizon Zero Dawn Art Dump/Blast

vivekTO

Artstation Article
All The work is here
Screenshots by Community are Here, some gaffers made it.
we're celebrating the beautiful art of Guerrilla's own artists and art teams. We've joined forces with ArtStation to release an Art Blast that showcases their incredible body of work, which spans a range of disciplines from Concept Art to Character Art, and from Asset Art to Animation. In total, 26 Guerrilla artists have posted their contributions to Horizon Zero Dawn in their ArtStation portfolios. A selection of their art can be found below.
Some concepts!!
eric-felten-bx-news-artblast-feedback-logo-resize_1280-1024x653.jpg

lloyd-allan-banuk-village-landscape-1024x647.jpg

I thought 3d Artists like me are Interested in Concepts, Modeling, texturing ,Shading and Animation part of the development of Horizon Zero Dawn.Just want to share.

bounchfx

looking at the main character model I just feel completely inadequate as an artist. how the shit do you turn that into a game-rez mesh? do they just break it into 100 parts? fffffffffffffffffff

Really cool stuff.

Also, a few of the artists that worked on the game went through the official HZD screenshot thread and added some of our screenshots (myself included) to their own Artstation page btw. Pretty neat.

edit: a link would be good, lol

Ahasverus

Models in the game are extremely good. Facial animations are extremely bad. I think Horizon must nail that aspect too to really become a whole package.

vivekTO

I was given the opportunity to be responsible for the production of hair for Horizon Zero Dawn, a PS4 game developed by Guerrilla Games. It was a fun challenge to learn the intricacy of game hair development and work with my colleagues in code, rigging and shading to realize our 100k triangles in-game hair for Aloy to be fully dynamic, driven by 50 splines at 3-5 ms whilst maintaining a stable 30fps on a PS4 system

Is it really 100k For Hair only?? that is incredible.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
eric-felten-bx-news-artblast-feedback-logo-resize_1280-1024x653.jpg

Prequel
DLC more in the style of Killzone with this as the
last stand of mankind against the machines
would be fucking sick!

vivekTO

Models in the game are extremely good. Facial animations are extremely bad. I think Horizon must nail that aspect too to really become a whole package.

Hmm Here I may say that Saying Extremely bad is a Tad bit, not much but a tad bit Extreme. I know its not Uncharted but Extremely bad...

HStallion

Compared to other open world games the facial animations are pretty good in my opinion. They certainly are a solid upgrade over stuff like Bethesda open world games and the like.

george_us

Horizon's facial animations destroy every other open-world game out there. It's not even a contest.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Why wasn't the Horus a boss in the game. I honestly expected
Hades
to inhabit the husk of Horus and that be the
final boss

Ahasverus

Hmm Here I may say that Saying Extremely bad is a Tad bit, not much but a tad bit Extreme. I know its not Uncharted but Extremely bad...

Compared to other open world games the facial animations are pretty good in my opinion. They certainly are a solid upgrade over stuff like Bethesda open world games and the like.
Yeah absolutely. But they're still too stiff, like only the mouth is moving most of the time. It depends on the character of course, some are better animated than others.

Horizon's facial animations destroy every other open-world game out there. It's not even a contest.
Do you want me to whip out Witcher 3 gifs?

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Yeah absolutely. But they're still too stiff, like only the mouth is moving most of the time. It depends on the character of course, some are better animated than others.

Do you want me to whip out Witcher 3 gifs?

You'll only embarrass yourself

You'll only embarrass yourself

LOL. Easy there.

I love me some Horizon, but he is right. Faces in HZD often feel stiff and lifeless. TW3 is still top-dog as far as open world facial animation is concerned. Traversal animation is another story, and Horizon definitely takes the cake there.

HStallion

27NgvBx.gif

It's not only the faces (which are very stiff) in Horizon characters just look nailed to the ground with no sense of natural movement while in in-engine curscenes.

Well lets not forget that side characters in the Witcher 3 aren't exactly great looking either. Lots of pre canned shrug animations and characters who stare into the distance while standing still in front of you.

People idealize too much, there's not this "wide distances" difference between The Witcher III and Horizon's facial animations, The Witcher is just generally better but that's it, it still share the same animations between npcs.

camac002

People idealize too much, there's not this "wide distances" difference between The Witcher III and Horizon's facial animations, The Witcher is just generally better but that's it, it still share the same animations between npcs.

Yep. Why the need for exaggeration. They clearly both have priorities in place, with cutscenes having the best animation. Maybe you could say the lowest priority animations in W3 are better than the lowest priority in HZD.

Ahasverus

This is what I'm talking about. The mouth moves, the upper part of the face doesn't.

I don't like the situation when if you like agame you must praise EVERY part of it. I'm liking Horizon very much, I just think facial animations, dialogue, story and enemy variety (they're all big grey things) if addressed would make for a killer sequel, maybe a GOAT.

This is what I'm talking about. The mouth moves, the upper part of the face doesn't.

I don't like the situation when if you like agame you must praise EVERY part of it. I'm liking Horizon very much, I just think facial animations, dialogue, story and enemy variety (they're all big grey things) if addressed would make for a killer sequel, maybe a GOAT.

You're adding stuff every time I see. Story and Enemies have been praised as the best aspects of the game.

Oh and the upper part of the face does move in many situations. You can't criticize the game, but drawing this insane distances between a game and another... they don't exist, Horizon's animations are not horrible.

Toni

So what was supposed to be a celebration thread for what Guerilla's talented artists have accomplished has turned into a salty response thread from Witcher 3 fans.

Fantastic.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
So what was supposed to be a celebration thread for what Guerilla's talented artists have accomplished has turned into a salty response thread from Witcher 3 fans.

Fantastic.

Internet gonna internet man. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ran rp

I was wondering why trending was all Horizon. That was hilarious to see after reading about the changes to the algorithm.

Tripolygon

Banned

You said
It's not only the faces (which are very stiff) in Horizon characters just look nailed to the ground with no sense of natural movement while in in-engine curscenes.
And no, you don't have to praise all aspects of a game when it is lacking in some other area, but when it comes to facial animation Horizon does it better than Witcher 3. And yes there are areas that could use more polish but it is one of the better facial animation in open world games. When it comes to general animation, movement, and IK, it is also one of the best.

Ahasverus

You said

And no, you don't have to praise all aspects of a game when it is lacking in some other area, but when it comes to facial animation Horizon does it better than Witcher 3. And yes there are areas that could use more polish but it is one of the better facial animation in open world games. When it comes to general animation, movement, and IK, it is also one of the best.
This is just wrong. For example, the scene when Aloy finds out that Elizabeth is already dead, the game treats it like she's sad, but he doesn't change her facial expression. And so is the game most of the time, sometimes it feels she has 2 expressions, smirky and serious smirky. Meanwhile the Witcher 3 has moments where it needs no dialogue because of the expressions.

All I'm saying is that Horizon can improve for its sequel greatly with a bit of care into the animations so the charcters feelmore like people and less as dolls. The models are already the best and most varied I've seen. They deserve better.

But whatever, delude yourself.

This is just wrong. For example, the scene when Aloy finds out that Elizabeth is already dead, the game treats it like she's sad, but he doesn't change her facial expression. And so is the game most of the time, sometimes it feels she has 2 expressions, smirky and serious smirky. Meanwhile the Witcher 3 has moments where it needs no dialogue because of the expressions.

All I'm saying is that Horizon can improve for its sequel greatly with a bit of care into the animations so the charcters feelmore like people and less as dolls. The models are already the best and most varied I've seen. They deserve better.

But whatever, delude yourself.

Watch that scene again.

there is magneto hidden in there somewhere! its looks like to me atleast.

Yeah... I can see it.

Razgreez

I wonder if permission had to be sought from, amongst others, Patrick Stewart (Brageld) and Ben Kingsley (Karst) for the utilization of their likenesses. To be fair the likenesses are seen more in these portraits than in game.

there is magneto hidden in there somewhere! its looks like to me atleast.

"Magneto"-ish with Ted. But "professor X" and "ghandi" can clearly be made out by other characters. Even Nil reminds me of some other actor. Gaia as well but I just can't quite put my finger on who.

Seems to be some re-use between the facial models of Balahn and Vilgund as well

Top Bottom