• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guerrilla Games Horizon Zero Dawn Art Dump/Blast

For Horizon Zero Dawn 2 I would love a God Of War boss style fight against a Horus.

alex-zapata-fas-bor7-horus-titan-03.jpg

Tripolygon

Banned
This is just wrong. For example, the scene when Aloy finds out that Elizabeth is already dead, the game treats it like she's sad, but he doesn't change her facial expression.
But whatever, delude yourself.
Watch the scene again, and not every facial expression has to be extreme or over exaggerated. I would post gifs of the subtle changes in her expression but I don't want to spoil the game for anyone. That scene was a bittersweet moment and it shows in her facial expression. And what am i deluding myself about, i know and can easily point out the low points of Horizon, like water and foliage interaction could use some more polish, audio sync with NPC mouth movement and expression etc. What I don't agree with is that Witcher 3 is better than Horizon in facial animation or any animation, the machine animation and movement are just sublime, you can delude yourself that it is though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQIqoTHY2MU

Griss

Aloy's hair is a miracle. Not surprised to learn they dedicated that many polys / splines / whatevers to it.

One thing about the character designs that never ceases to amaze me (besides how well modeled and diverse they are) is how good the skin shaders, especially the darker skin shaders are. Guerrilla absolutely nailed it, it captures all the nuances of color - from colder tones to golden hues. Absolutely beautiful.

100k just for the hair in an open world game

The standard has been set. I can't wait to see how Kojima further improves this engine. It seems that they're doing the hair a little differently. Mads has real geometry for the eyebrows and eyelashes.
horizon-character-art-helis-portrait.jpg

mads3jspr.png

Glassboy

NPC art for this game is the best I've ever seen. Any one of these could be a protagonist for their own game.
I was constantly surprised meeting new people that looked and sounded super interesting. The costumes were excellent too. Top notch work

eric-felten-bx-news-artblast-feedback-logo-resize_1280-1024x653.jpg

Prequel
DLC more in the style of Killzone with this as the
last stand of mankind against the machines
would be fucking sick!

This makes me wish Guerilla Cambridge was still around, they've could've done a nice spinoff while GG is developing the sequel

Those models, the robots presentation videos, the character closeups during PSX: they have materials and the ground to release a ncie model/character viewer. yet I don't know why they wouldn't. :(

Is it really 100k For Hair only?? that is incredible.

100k just for the hair in an open world game.

Not surprising since the Thunderjaw is 550k polys which is much more than Aki Ross from Final Fantasy CGI movie and we see see multiple thunderjaws, tallnecks and other robots at once in some instances in open world.

The standard has been set. I can't wait to see how Kojima further improves this engine. It seems that they're doing the hair a little differently. Mads has real geometry for the eyebrows and eyelashes.

Yep. Kojima is amazed by Horizon hair tech and he is deciding whether to use their tech or their own modification. I am pretty sure they are using their own improved version.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
You said

And no, you don't have to praise all aspects of a game when it is lacking in some other area, but when it comes to facial animation Horizon does it better than Witcher 3. And yes there are areas that could use more polish but it is one of the better facial animation in open world games. When it comes to general animation, movement, and IK, it is also one of the best.

Horizon is my 2017 GotY so far but Witcher 3 definitely beats it out in facial animation overall. Horizon's one weak spot is the facial animation. Tons of scenes, even between primary characters, in which lip synch is completely off, Aloy's jaw often doesn't move and remains rigid during dialogue (watch her, she talks through motionless teeth much of the time), the upper half of faces has almost no motion except in the most extreme expressions. Horizon definitely has some great facial expression moments here and there, and handily outclasses all of the open world competition in facial animation except for one. There's just no way it beats The Witcher 3 in that category. Second place in this very difficult category is nothing to be ashamed about.

vivekTO

Yep. Kojima is amazed by Horizon hair tech and he is deciding whether to use their tech or their own modification. I am pretty sure they are using their own improved version.

Where does this particular Quote come From, A link will be appreciated. Thanks.

Maledict

I think witcher 3 does animate conversations and faces better (no surprise given it's a conversation heavy rpg). But Horizon has better designed characters - witcher 3 has a lot of side quest characters who are fairly bland and similar, where every single NPC I ever spoke with in Horizon was unique and looked like a specially designed character.

It's also the first game I've played that not only blew your head off with it's cast's diversity, but also had the best looking diverse characters as well. The way it captures different shades of black skin tone so well is *amazing* - the fact that we struggle to see a single black person in many games, and yet Horizon has this array of characters is fantastic.

Tripolygon

Banned
Horizon is my 2017 GotY so far but Witcher 3 definitely beats it out in facial animation overall.
And i disagree

The Witcher 3
Horizon
Yes i know, the facial animation in Horizon is not the best, it is also inconsistent, and could use a lot more polishing but i stand by my assertion that it is far better than the Witcher 3.

Edit: Damn the way baby Aloy's hair flows is pretty awesome.

Iksenpets

Banned
NPC art for this game is the best I've ever seen. Any one of these could be a protagonist for their own game.

Other than just the graphics themselves, I think the general lack of any cookie-cutter characters who look randomly generated is the biggest thing this game has going for it. Even The Witcher 3, for all its details, had problems with that (granted it probably had an order of magnitude more NPCs than Horizon does, so it's understandable)

UnNamed

Banned
Is that Ted Faro in the middle of all the NPCs? We never get a good look at him during the game
I think is him.

At first i thought he was Herres, but the outfit doesn't match.
Actually Faro loolks younger in the game, but we only seen him in the holograms, maybe he was much older.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Concepts of two tribes I don't recall seeing in the game

pSckhBu.jpg

ycTVuRg.jpg

The top ones I don't believe where in the game but the bottom set we see once. In the prison break mission one of the prisoners was from the cannibal tribes far to the South and she was dressed like the tribe in the second picture. I think that's the only time we meet one.

Garlador

And i disagree

The Witcher 3
AcF0Qog.gif
6dg7bnG.gif
WhpkGm0.gif
XiNyomZ.gif

Horizon
JbFdohk.gif
XamZhbn.gif
U6tTmTs.gif
hWSezIP.gif

Yes i know, the facial animation in Horizon is not the best, it is also inconsistent, and could use a lot more polishing but i stand by my assertion that it is far better than the Witcher 3.

Edit: Damn the way baby Aloy's hair flows is pretty awesome.

And just for perspective...

I'm a monster. I know Andromeda is improving, patch by patch, but the fact Horizon came out earlier that month just really made it hard to go from Horizon's animations to Andromeda's.

Is it really 100k For Hair only?? that is incredible.

Geralt's HairWorks is in that range on PC I believe. If I'm not mistaken some creatures have 500K for their HairWorks system.

EDIT: Just double checked and Geralt's hair is 110k at max detail according to nVidia. Animals are around 60k and detail.

Top Bottom