• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is traveling to Japan dangerous due to radiation?

Korey

I was thinking of going to Tokyo later this year but someone reminded me that there's radiation problems there due to the nuclear power plant incident from a few years ago.

They said it was still dangerous to visit. Even if exposure isn't a problem, the food could be contaminated.

Now I've decided I'm 100% not going. It's just not worth the risk. I can go somewhere else. But I wanted to get people's opinions on this.

I just wanted to visit DisneySea because I heard it was the best Disney park in the world but now I won't ever get to see it?

Well I actually did do research. Googled "is it safe to travel to japan radiation" and limited the results to last year.

Did you know that Taiwan, China, South Korea still ban food from 5 provinces in Japan?

So yea, it's not nearly as open and shut case as people here would have you believe.

And this post from TripAdvisor (link removed because I don't want to spread potential misinformation) resonated with me.

You are responsible for your family's well-being though. There are folks who feel Japan as a whole is too risky so they don't go. The government, on the other hand, assures you that it's a safe place to go. It's up to you to assess the risk and choose what you believe.

I assess the risk and choose that it's not worth the risk, even if it's 1%.

Blablurn

We're not recommending a sightseeing trip to the gates of the Fukushima Daiichi plant, in fact you should heed the advice from the American, British and Australian governments and stay at least 20km from the place, but don't put off your travel plans. Pack your suitcases and get out there, a (no more dangerous than usual) world awaits you.

Source

It's not only safe to go to Japan, radiation levels within Fukushima are lower than cities like New York. Food is inspected.

Mendrox

Lol no. It's healthier here wherever you come from.

Edit: lol you miss out alot just because of some Idiot saying that shit. Here is less radiation than in the middle of Nyc. Where do you even want to go if you are afraid of this here? Other countries have more problems with health and trash. There is noting like that here. Haha

Triteon

According to the australian government:

"The radiation levels in most parts of Japan, including Tokyo, are within the normal range of background radiation. Some areas remain restricted due to higher levels of radioactive contamination."

Yes, for the same reason traveling to Europe is dangerous because of Chernobyl and traveling to the USA is dangerous because of Three Mile Island.

I was thinking of going to Tokyo later this year but someone reminded me that there's radiation problems there due to the nuclear power plant incident from a few years ago.

They said it was still dangerous to visit. Even if exposure isn't a problem, the food could be contaminated.

Now I've decided I'm 100% not going. It's just not worth the risk. I can go somewhere else. But I wanted to get people's opinions on this.

Tokyo is more than 100km away from Fukushima. You'll get dosed with more radiation during the flight.

red731

You will not want to touch a female after you visit Japan.

Serious answer - no. How do you think people are still living there?
All is good and you should visit Japan :)

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
You just got to stay up to date with the Godzilla forecast to avoid staying too long within a mile from him. It's usually ok but he's prone to using his radioactive breath on occasion which warrants some precaution.

Tudor

Spent 2 months over there last year, no ill effects. Go for it

Make sure you also head to Kyoto though, and Hiroshima if you have time. Both very interesting.

As noted above just make sure you check the nightly news for Mothra sightings, wouldn't want your plans interrupted.

w3bba

yes Japan looks like the wasteland in the Fallout universe. if you go bring a lot of RadAway and beware of the RadScorpions

/s

depths20XX

Nope, went to Japan a couple years ago. A lot of stuff you're hearing is bullshit.

The fact that you're "100% not going" is fucking hilarious.

Lelou

Well, i don't get it.

Anyway yes, since i made more than 20 trips on here in the last few years and my check up says "nothing wrong".

Ishan

No . I went to japan in 2010 and I'm not Godzilla yet ... What sort of ridiculous thread is this ... Japan is a developed country knows what it's doing and even in a third world country no country is going to irradiate it's own ppl and tourists/foreigners .

You will literally EXPLODE from all the cancer you'll get.

e: Obligatory radiation chart:

radiation.png

Ishan

So nobody is gonna address the part about food? The fish could be contaminated
Japan is quite about the safest place when it comes to rules regulations etc . I would say only country on par may be Germany . They know what they are doing . Go there . It's safe .

I mean, people are still living there aren't they? Plus the food is inspected closely.

Again there are people who still live there and eat the food. If it was even mildly dangerous, they would have evacuated already.

w3bba

fish is worldwide contaminated anyway, be it radiation or heavy metals. and I am pretty sure the Japanese government has strict regulations and checks if the fish is edible or not.

I would even bet the fish in Japan is less polluted than in the US

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe

Their country is probably one of the places where food is safe to eat.

But don't go eating those strange fruit from other dimensions that came from holes with zippers.

Their country is probably one of the places where food is safe to eat.

But don't go eating those strange fruit from other dimensions that came from holes with zippers.

I really don't want to know if this is real or not. I think I'll sleep better that way. It reminds me of Kamen Rider though.

Ishan

Op I'm not quite sure which country you're from but japan given what I've seen being there for the 4 days I was for a conference and what we know of them as a country. I would put them near top of the list on "have least concerns of dying while visiting"

Edit I probably have a higher chance of dying in my native country India than japan truth be told ...

whitehawk

Banned
I've seen some dumb questions in my time but... Especially when talking about Tokyo.

The problem is serious, but it won't affect a Tokyo trip damn.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Yes. Bring your hazmat suit OP.

Top Bottom