• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is traveling to Japan dangerous due to radiation?

Op I'm not quite sure which country you're from but japan given what I've seen being there for the 4 days I was for a conference and what we know of them as a country. I would put them near top of the list on "have least concerns of dying while visiting"

Well... There's earthquakes, but still... :p

It's worth it to see all the cool mutations. Just be careful that you don't have direct skin contact with anybody, obviously.

akira28

and ninjas. and the kappa. and probably some tengu. cyborgs are a potential danger but if you avoid women, you avoid cyborg assassins.

w3bba

Now I've decided I'm 100% not going. It's just not worth the risk. I can go somewhere else. But I wanted to get people's opinions on this.

people tell you unanimously that it's perfectly safe and you are still scared?

you sound like the radiation scare movement from the 50s

Real talk though, you should actually be more worried about cancer from sunlight than the radiation somehow getting to you from Fukushima.

Worrying about that in Tokyo is irrational.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
It's a pretty sad place, idol units have to put on hazmat suits for meet & greets. :(
C_HDh7KVoAEtW8V.jpg
https://twitter.com/shiii77/status/860683994832150528/photo/1

depths20XX

Was thinking about going to Japan but after playing Yakuza I'm really worried about getting beat up on the street.

My friends told me they're still a big problem there so I'm 100% not going now. It's just not worth the risk.

I just wanted to visit DisneySea because I heard it was the best Disney park in the world but now I won't get to ever see it?

And nobody is addressing the real problem here? Going to Tokyo just to visit Disney Land?

Tokyo and Japan is a completely real place full of amazing and beautiful and strange things to see. I wouldn't even waste a day in such a place (that you can also see in Florida or elsewhere). But yeah, that's just silly me.

sirap

OP I grew a second dick the last time I was there.

Definitely don't go to Japan
unless that's exactly what you want.

And nobody is addressing the real problem here? Going to Tokyo just to visit Disney Land?

Tokyo and Japan is a completely real place full of amazing and beautiful and strange things to see. I wouldn't even waste a day in such a place (that you can also see in Florida or elsewhere). But yeah, that's just silly me.

Tokyo Disney Land isn't even that great imo. A lot of the magic is lost if you don't understand japanese.

DisneySea on the other hand is legit.

Spectone

If you travel by plane then yes, you will receive more radiation than you would get from having an x-ray done. This is why all international air travellers lose their hair after a year.

Lego Boss

Yep. We went two weeks ago with two girls (eight and five)_ and there's no way that I'm flying them half way around the world to go to fucking Disney when there's a Euro Disney three hours away.

Get schooled brah.

tensuke

If it was then why would anyone still live there? You think they evolved some kind of radiation protection or something? Come on, son. Obviously don't go to the nuclear plant itself, but you can vacation and sight-see all you want. You'll be fine.

RM8

It's honestly pretty bad in Tokyo, I'd say. Not because of radiation, but because it's so hot right now ugh, weather is horrible in this island.

Radiation is fine, though.

Korey

Why even make this thread if you are already 100% certain you're not going?

I wanted to warn other people thinking of traveling to Japan because this isn't something people usually consider when planning their trip. I didn't even think about this til my friend mentioned it.

Also was kind of hoping I could be convinced otherwise but I know I'm not gonna change my mind anyways.

Yep. We went two weeks ago with two girls (eight and five)_ and there's no way that I'm flying them half way around the world to go to fucking Disney when there's a Euro Disney three hours away.

Get schooled brah.

Everyone says it's the best Disney park in the world though.

I only found out about this park a few weeks ago after watching an "Abandoned" youtube video from that other thread, about some abandoned amusement park in Japan.

This one: https://youtu.be/98VSj41NCkQ?t=5m29s

Jonnax

I wanted to warn other people thinking of traveling to Japan because this isn't something people usually consider when planning their trip. I didn't even think about this til my friend mentioned it.

Also was kind of hoping I could be convinced otherwise but I know I'm not gonna change my mind anyways.

So essentially you're spreading misinformation because you're uninformed and can't be bothered to educate yourself.

Have you heard about vaccines causing autism? It's not true but I'm sure you can convince yourself that it is, what with all the "evidence" on the internet.

Lego Boss

Everyone says it's the best Disney park in the world though.

I only found out about this park a few weeks ago after watching an "Abandoned" youtube video from that other thread, about some abandoned amusement park in Japan.

This one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98VSj41NCkQ

It's fucking Disney though!

I think you're taking the piss. If you're serious about visiting Japan go to the Community thread on visiting it. People in there have the facts.

Ratrat

You know this kind of bullshit really fucked up tourism and commerce in devastated regions that could have really used help? You should be fucking ashamed of yourself.

I don't know what's worse. The fact you are 100% not going over a nothing issue. Or the fact you want to go because you want to see a disney park.

kyser73

I was thinking of going to Tokyo later this year but someone reminded me that there's radiation problems there due to the nuclear power plant incident from a few years ago.

They said it was still dangerous to visit. Even if exposure isn't a problem, the food could be contaminated.

Now I've decided I'm 100% not going. It's just not worth the risk. I can go somewhere else. But I wanted to get people's opinions on this.

I just wanted to visit DisneySea because I heard it was the best Disney park in the world but now I won't ever get to see it?

Your friend is an idiot. Aside from not visiting Fukushima itself the country is safe as anywhere else.

Have to ask tho - do you live anywhere that's got lots of granite? Any housing that uses lightweight concrete with alum shale or phosphorgypsum? Both can lead to high levels of background radiation.

Also - you have to fly there, so will probably be hit by at least a few high energy cosmic rays.

Des0lar

will learn eventually

Sorry to be so blunt but you're one dumb mf.
People keep telling you that it's perfectly safe as Japan is one of the safest countries you could possibly go to, have some of the strictest food control of the world and radiation levels are lower in Tokyo than most countries' background radiation and YOU STILL BELIEVE THE DUMB SHIT SOMEONE TOLD YOU?

Sorry if I seem angry, but that's because I am. Nothing worse than people spreading false bullshit and then DOUBLING DOWN when called out.

Izuna

Banned
My partner's old af grand parents are from where that plant issue happened. I heard it made them younger as they grew extra hips and another heart.

This is why Japan is at the forefront of stem cell research and don't waste their time making good games anymore.

~~

But seriously, don't go to either Disney place. It's so packed you will do max 3 rides spending the whole day.

Top Bottom