• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Natsume announces localization of River City: Knights of Justice, out this summer

Shard

XBLAnnoyance

Velcro Fly

This is great! I just played Tokyo Rumble a few months ago so by summer I'll be ready for more! Bummer no physical version this time around but I'm more than willing to buy from the eShop.

Also, River City: Rival Showdown!

DBFTkzyUIAIFJHk_thumb.jpg

http://www.siliconera.com/2017/05/3...ari-sp-coming-west-river-city-rival-showdown/

Which is basically River City Ransom +, with new animations and the such. Came out last fall.

Refyref

http://www.siliconera.com/2017/05/3...ari-sp-coming-west-river-city-rival-showdown/

Which is basically River City Ransom +, with new animations and the such. Came out last fall.

Yes! This is the 3DS Kunio game I wanted the most, glad to hear it's actually coming out in English! Although I concur that that name is a puzzling choice. Considering the original game already has a well known English title, why would they make up a new one and lose the recognition?

EDIT: The Knights of Justice game also looks interesting, although I'm not as interested in it as in the RCR remake. While Knights of Justice is digital only, they haven't said how Rival Showdown will be released, so it's possible that it might get a physical release as well.

CamHostage

Now of all the games to give a misleading rename to why would they choose THAT one? It makes it sound like a fighting game spin off when it's an updated version of the most popular Kunio game.

Yeah, weird. I get that they're trying to make River City the brand (the fanbase is still attached to River City Ransom / RCR despite there only being the one,) but if this is that original, it's foolish to market this in a way that makes it look like a side-game.

(That said, really, this is a RCR remake? I watched the trailer and didn't see much I recognized? Maybe the graphics and extra moveset is just messing me up? Will have to look up more info on this; I'm guessing it doesn't have any of the Sharp x68000 version add-on content?)

CO_Andy

was looking into purchasing Tokyo Rumble, but they're releasing yet another remake of RCR on the same system only after a year?!

Refyref

was looking into purchasing Tokyo Rumble, but they're releasing yet another remake of RCR on the same system only after a year?!

Tokyo Rumble was a remake of an earlier game called Renegade. This is a remake of Renegade's sequel, which is River City Ransom.

EDIT: I'm wrong, Tokyo Rumble is a sequel to Renegade. RCR was just a later game in the series, not a direct sequel to Renegade. There was a Renegade remake on 3DS, but it wasn't localized.

kbohs

Just bought Tokyo Rumble after reading about this news and getting interested in the series. Looking forward to trying the series after only playing a tiny bit of RCR way back on Wii VC.

woopWOOP

I'm completely out of the loop when it comes to these Kunio games, but this Knights spinoff and that remake look really good. Both for 3DS? Definitely on my radar now.

Refyref

To clear up the confusion between the many Kunio-kun games on 3DS, I'm going to quote @MUWANdo's post from the Tokyo Rumble thread:

Nekketsu Kouha Kunio-Kun SP: Rantou Kyousoukyoku.

It's the third Kunio-kun game released for 3DS and it's a sequel/expansion to the first 3DS game, Nekketsu Kōha Kunio-Kun Special, which is a remake of the arcade game released worldwide as Renegade.

It's an original game that serves as a sequel to the 3DS remake of Renegade. Yeah, it's kinda confusing.

Mechanically speaking, all the 3DS games are all very similar. Aside from this game, they include:

-the Renegade remake (Nekketsu Kouha Kunio-Kun SP)
-an eShop-only spinoff game starring Riki (Riki Densetsu)
-another eShop-only game with a fantasy RPG motif (Nekketsu Mahou Monogatari)
-a followup to an old "RCR but as a period drama" game (Downtown Nekketsu Jidaigeki)

and there are two other releases that still aren't out:

-a River City Ransom remake (Downtown Nekketsu Monogatari SP, out late October)
-a compilation containing all 11 Famicom games (Kunio-Kun Nekketsu Famicom Complete Collection, no release date but could be out by the end of the year)

Tokyo Rumble = Rantou Kyousoukyoku
Knights of Justice = Nekketsu Mahou Monogatari
Rival Showdown = Downtown Nekketsu Monogatari SP

This should clear things up.

Was hoping for another physical edition. Wonder how much additional sales they get from releasing Physical versions of these types of games.

ZoddGutts

Now of all the games to give a misleading rename to why would they choose THAT one? It makes it sound like a fighting game spin off when it's an updated version of the most popular Kunio game.

True, but it does have a fighting game mode within it.

https://youtu.be/gP4jNATFekI?t=193

Anyways cool that this game is coming over was hoping it would. Crossing fingers for that Anthology collection of the Famicom games comes over here too.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Someone should make a new thread for Rival Showdown and be sure to put RIVER CITY RANSOM REMAKE in the title somewhere.

Rival Showdown was delayed in Japan and released late without some of the announced features, most notably local co-op, but those features were recently patched into the game and Natsume's announcement confirms we're getting them as well. Good to know!

Two guesses;

-somebody else owns the name "River City Ransom" and they don't want to have to pay to use it

-they want to lock down their own name and localization because that'll make them more money in the long run; they've done it with lots of games, most notably Harvest Moon

jholmes

Two guesses;

-somebody else owns the name "River City Ransom" and they don't want to have to pay to use it

-they want to lock down their own name and localization because that'll make them more money in the long run; they've done it with lots of games, most notably Harvest Moon

River City Ransom: Underground would suggest the former is not the issue. Although that deal was made before the sale to Arc System Works.

CamHostage

True, but it does have a fighting game mode within it.

https://youtu.be/gP4jNATFekI?t=193

River City Ransom: Rival Showdown would have worked just fine as an indicator that it's both the classic game you know and something more.

Tokyo Rumble is a sequel to Renegade. RCR was just a later game in the series, not a direct sequel to Renegade. There was a Renegade remake on 3DS, but it wasn't localized.

Sort of an unnecessary note, but Tokyo Rumble is a lot more RCR than it is Renegade, although the Renegade remake may have changed some elements of that game. Renegade (Nekketsu Kouha Kunio-Kun) was a much rougher brawler compared to the tightness that Technos became known for with RCR and Double Dragon, with slower techniques and limited exploration. Its combat was also based on left/right fighting control (and that jump-kick that bounced off walls.) Tokyo Rumble had weapons, shops, a physics system, all stuff that you'd recognize much more from RCR. (Did Tokyo Rumble even have a back-attack move, I can't recall, I remember unlocking something like the Double Dragon elbow but I don't remember using it much. There was a section where you fought bikers on Harleys, though, that was very Renegade. In any case, if you had the misfortune to play and hate Renegade, do check out Tokyo Rumble anyway. It's not a perfect game, but it has a lot to like for River City Ransom fans.

I'm the one guy that loves both the "real" games and River City Underground.
I'm jumping for joy at these two games coming out

Opa-Pa

Haha, I was about to post the Knights of Justice news on the abandoned, short-lived Tokyo Rumble OT since not many care about the series here. I'm pretty excited f-

HOLY SHIT! I can't believe I missed this! I was wondering why in hell they decided to localize KoJ before this but it looks like I underestimated Natsume.

Nekketsu Monogatari SP is so great! I got to try it some time ago, and the updated look plus the Double Dragon fighting mini-game are crazy fun. So happy we're getting this!

Refyref

Haha, I was about to post the Knights of Justice news on the abandoned, short-lived Tokyo Rumble OT since not many care about the series here. I'm pretty excited f-

HOLY SHIT! I can't believe I missed this! I was wondering why in hell they decided to localize KoJ before this but it looks like I underestimated Natsume.

Nekketsu Monogatari SP is so great! I got to try it some time ago, and the updated look plus the Double Dragon fighting mini-game are crazy fun. So happy we're getting this!

Yup, that's the more exciting part of these announcements. Maybe we should make a new thread for it, it at least ask a mod to change the title.

so no physical release? that's a shame considering some obscure recent Natsume titles like Tokyo Rumble and Wild Guns Reloaded got 'em

Refyref

so no physical release? that's a shame considering some obscure recent Natsume titles like Tokyo Rumble and Wild Guns Reloaded got 'em

As I said above, Knights of Justice is digital only (as it has been in Japan). They said they'll announce how Rival Showdown will be released during E3, so it seems like that one will also be physical.

Top Bottom