• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch paid online coming 2018 ($19.99 a year, Dr Mario w/ online play)

jmizzal

http://www.nintendo.com/switch/online-service/

Free until 2018

"This paid service lets Nintendo Switch owners enjoy online multiplayer gaming as well as a dedicated smartphone app that connects to your Nintendo Switch system and helps you connect with friends for online play sessions."

"Online Play on Nintendo Switch

You'll be able to play compatible co-op and competitive games online by signing in with your Nintendo Account. Online play will be free for Nintendo Account holders until our paid online service launches in 2018. "

Kz60OIL.png

"After the free-trial period, most games will require a paid online service subscription from Nintendo in order to play online.

This service is only for Nintendo Switch. It does not affect online play or features for the Wii U or Nintendo 3DS family of systems."

"Online lobby and voice chat

Our new dedicated smart device app will connect to Nintendo Switch and let you invite friends to play online, set play appointments, and chat with friends during online matches in compatible games─all from your smart device.

A free, limited version of this app will be available for download in summer 2017.

Classic Game Selection*

Subscribers will get to download a compilation of classic titles with added online play, such as Super Mario Bros. 3, Balloon Fight and Dr. Mario."

Update
Netflix style VC
https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/870458277724860421
"Nintendo confirms to Kotaku that monthly classic games are NOT happening. Replaced with a way better service: "

DBR86U9WsAAl0kf.jpg:large

Atheerios

More info via IGN:
Will Nintendo announce new details about its new online service plan at E3 2017?

We will announce further details later this year.

Does the compilation of classic games include Super Nintendo and Nintendo 64 games?

At launch, the classic game library will include NES games. Super NES games continue to be under consideration, but we have nothing further to announce at this time.

Will the test version of the chat app launching this summer include the appointment feature?

Starting this summer, any Nintendo Switch owner with a Nintendo Account and a supported smart device will be able to use a version of the smart-device app with limited functionality. We have nothing further to announce at this time.

Is a subscription to the new Switch online service the only way to get classic games or will there also be a virtual console-type service that allows you to purchase games individually?

We have nothing to announce on this topic.

Are the Classic Game Selection compilation titles yours to keep as long as you're subscribed to Nintendo Online? Do you lose access to these games if you unsubscribe?

The Nintendo Switch Online collection of classic games is available only to users with an active subscription

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/06/02/nintendo-switch-online-service-delayed-to-2018

//ARCANUM

Was not expecting that 2018 delay. I'm guessing it will continue to be bare bones for the rest of the year.

Toxi

Banned
Subscribers will get to download a compilation of classic titles with added online play, such as Super Mario Bros. 3, Balloon Fight and Dr. Mario.
I was fucking kidding about them having Balloon Fight as a subscription reward.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Man and I was so excited to chat online

I believe the services will still launch this year as it says they'll be free until 2018. Not that they won't be available until 2018.

NotLiquid

Guess delaying paid services to establish a bit more of a foothold.

$19.99 a year would be a great deal if it was more comparable to PS+'s offerings. As it stands it's merely pretty good. Good enough for me at least.

VRMN

$20 a year is fine. Sounds like they dropped the stupid rental deal, making it sound more like Game Pass on Xbox with probably a rotating selection.

I won't be paying while I have to use an app on my phone and a dongle to chat online. This isn't a head scratcher, "hmm, how should in game chat work?"

Hattori

Banned
free online is free online, I'll take it. Do we get the free games or does that come in during the paid period?

The Lamp

At least it's only $20, but why is this tied to the phone instead of having its own dedicated features on the system itself? They need to fix the voice chat on the phone nonsense.

Wagram

Cool. I can play all the Mario Kart I want online before then. Cause there's no chance in hell i'm paying for it.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
If it's only $20 a year that's like nothing. So I don't go out for drinks next Friday and it's more than paid for. So long as it's cheap like Pokemon Bank is I'll pay for online play.

They have a hell of a lot to improve if they want my money for that "service."

Netflix like Virtual Console enough? That's the rumor.

VariantX

Could pay $60 and get 3 years for Ms and Sony's 1 year. That said, what exactly are they offering to even get my $20 in the first place?

Speely

Banned
They have a hell of a lot to improve if they want my money for that "service."

Agreed, but it's nice that they are launching it free so consumers know exactly* what they will be paying for (or not.)

I really hope this marks the beginning of Nintendo taking their online service seriously, personally. I'd rather have a paid service that is good than a free one that is lacking.

*edit: ok, not exactly. Limited version. Hmmm.

gtj1092

Stealth delay. Get the sales at Christmas then good then with the paywall. Kind of weird but $20 almost seems too low. A good price for one year though.

Maxinas

I hope that the delay is them listening to some of the backlash and hopefully they change some things by then. $20 is a good price, but being cheap means, a cheap service, hope im wrong on that.

Top Bottom