• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch paid online coming 2018 ($19.99 a year, Dr Mario w/ online play)

duckroll

Classic Game Selection*

Subscribers will get to download a compilation of classic titles with added online play, such as Super Mario Bros. 3, Balloon Fight and Dr. Mario.

Dr Mario is the only title worth mentioning in there when it comes to "added online play" lol.

Thank god it's only $20 a year. Don't expect a stellar service anyways, so I don't mind the price.

I wonder if the classic games finally won't be trash though. The filters and input lag suck on the Wii U and it's so barebones.

Regiruler

It really irks me that they're discontinuing the Nintendo Network brand, especially since there doesn't appear to be anything that really distinguishes it.

Munkybhai

At least it's only $20, but why is this tied to the phone instead of having its own dedicated features on the system itself? They need to fix the voice chat on the phone nonsense.

Maybe it's a better solution for people who might be docking and undocking their Switch a lot, to keep the voice chat seamless?

If it's only $20 a year that's like nothing. So I don't go out for drinks next Friday and it's more than paid for. So long as it's cheap like Pokemon Bank is I'll pay for online play.

Netflix like Virtual Console enough? That's the rumor.

No, it was "like nothing" when it was $0 on the Wii U.

They need to justify spending $20 a year on online instead of $0. Right now, it's the #1 reason why I don't have a Switch. I'm not paying for another bullshit online subscription.

The Boat

Guess delaying paid services to establish a bit more of a foothold.

$19.99 a year would be a great deal if it was more comparable to PS+'s offerings. As it stands it's merely pretty good. Good enough for me at least.

19.99 a year would be a great deal if it was more comparable to a 59.99 service? Interesting.

Jubenhimer

So, it's been delayed... I guess they want to wait a little longer before they start charging so they can make any necessary improvements. Still, the pricing seems pretty reasonable, I just hope Nintendo is willing to add features and improve functionality like that smartphone app in the future.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
$20 a year? I'm in.

Hey more free online. We should take it.

Lol good point!

It could be smart though. I guess they're going for "get people sucked in for the holidays and then make them pay once they're hooked"? Either way I guess no one can really be mad at a longer free period.

Pricing is excellent, especially if the classic game compilation with online multiplayer (Balloon Fight, Dr. Mario) is always available, not on a monthly rotation as was initially hinted and feared. The 2018 launch will buy some time for holiday adopters to get into Arms/MK8D/Splatoon without being deterred out of the gate.

Probably doesn't bode well for the separate availability of the classic titles in the compilation as VC purchases, and the smartphone-as-voice-chat system basically ensures I won't be using voice chat, but I'm a lot more comfortable with this outcome than I expected to be as someone who opposes subscription online services on principle.

I like this delay. Hopefully they make good improvements on it by the time it does hit as well (esp. with regards to voice chat and so on).

That is... Actually not a bad price. Just need to add some more incentives, and rework their chat system, and I think the Switch will keep on winning.

Classic nintendo games with added online play?
Or did i misread something?

sounds really good if you ask me. 20$ is reasonable i think

Madness

$20 is good

Good for what? You have to actually have something compelling to charge. Xbox Live and PSN have credible, capable online infrastructures. So if Nintendo wants people to shell out $20 what is it for and what makes the cost needed for what they offer over what they offered with Wii U. Anyone can see what Xbox Live offered from OG Xbox to Xbox 360 and now Xbox One.

udivision

wait it seems like they are now perma-giving VC games?

It says:

Classic Game Selection*

Subscribers will get to download a compilation of classic titles with added online play, such as Super Mario Bros. 3, Balloon Fight and Dr. Mario.

Super Mario Bros. 3 screenshot Balloon Fight screenshot Dr. Mario screenshot
Games featured rated: ESRB rated E

*Product name subject to change.

I think it's a bundle of games

Top Bottom