• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch paid online coming 2018 ($19.99 a year, Dr Mario w/ online play)

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Good news about this hitting now is that no time at E3 will be devoted to it.

Opa-Pa

I pretty much said in the past they have to make it 25$ maximum for me to be in, so I'm pleased. I mean, as pleased as someone deciding to pay for online play can be anyway.

Also

After the free-trial period, most games will require a paid online service subscription from Nintendo in order to play online.

"Most"?

The phone app thing is incredible, surreal that such a big company is doing that in 2018.

At least they priced it lower than the competition. Not sure what I'll be wanting to play online next year since I'll likely be over Splatoon and ARMS and Wii U didn't have any games I played online other than the first Splatoon, but $20/yr is cheap enough that the classic games will likely be worth it.

Except for people who have already bought them on VC multiple times. Glad I never really got into that.

jett

D-Member
Aw yiss

muthafuckin BALLOON FIGHT

(lol)

They better get their "classic games" service right. Among other things. The smartphone shit just sounds like a mess.

$20/year is nothing, but I'll never feel good about having to pay for it, especially since the only thing of value is the right to play online.

rewkol

$20 a year doesn't sound too bad for what it is. I know the voice chat situation sucks for those who want it, but I most likely won't be using it much at all so I couldn't care less. Let's hope they go into detail of this "Classic Game Selection" at E3, if they put worthwhile games up there it could be a nice bonus, but it'll likely just be good ol' Balloon Fight...

I'm really confused about the Virtual Console now. They further established online enabled NES games are on this service, but that does that mean they're unavailable otherwise? Does this mean we have to wait for the online enabled versions of games to be available on the service before they're released as stand alones? Will stand alones even still exist? What about all the non-NES consoles?

Also, online Mario Kart 64 Battle Mode?

ghibli99

The pricing is interesting... now to show us that they can offer something comparable to XBLG and PS+. I'll be watching closely.

ciD_Vain

Why are people saying it's delayed? Weren't they always going to launch in 2018?
It was going to launch later this year originally.

We need to know if those classic games are timed or permanent. I recall the wording from their previous page sounding like they were timed games that would change monthly.

phanphare

Banned
Good for what? You have to actually have something compelling to charge. Xbox Live and PSN have credible, capable online infrastructures. So if Nintendo wants people to shell out $20 what is it for and what makes the cost needed for what they offer over what they offered with Wii U. Anyone can see what Xbox Live offered from OG Xbox to Xbox 360 and now Xbox One.

they're only charging $20 for paid online

that's good

they could have charged $25, $30, $35, hell even $40!

One open question about the classic games compilation: whether it's only available while you are subscribed (I would guess so, or the one-month plan would be a steal), and if so, whether it requires always-online authorization to play, even if you just want to dip into single-player SMB3.

As a big digital purchaser I'd also like to see the subscription obtainable via, say, 200 My Nintendo gold points. I doubt the digital discounts from the online subscription plan will stack with the extremely meagre My Nintendo coupons we get as it is (there's no precedent for eShop discounts ever stacking), and as loyalty plans, the systems seem a bit redundant.

VanWinkle

MAN. I was reeaaaaaaaalllly hoping they would change the smartphone app being required for voice chat thing. Nintendo has made me enjoy the Switch a lot since I had forgotten that stupid thing, but now I'm back to remembering why they make me so mad.

they're only charging $20 for paid online

that's good

they could have charged $25, $30, $35, hell even $40!

I agree, but online play at this incredibly basic a level should not cost money. Say what you will about PS+ and XBLG, but they put the value in, in their breadth of features and "free" games.

$20 for a full year is pretty good. I don't play online that often but that price is tough to resist especially with the other benefits thrown in.

20 bucks a year is pretty good, and it sounds like they aren't going to take VC games away from you after a month anymore either, so that's cool.
I wonder if it will only be NES games, or if we'll get some other systems too.

Ashodin

It's smart of them to delay online; they can get people hooked on ARMS and Splatoon 2 (plus whatever else uses online this holiday) and then charge for it later.

The dongle is only for mixed audio, otherwise just the app is enough

And? So it's either use the phone only while diminishing the experience, or use an unnecessary setup to get what every other online service can provide.

If this were a free service, whatever, but I'm not going to pay for something so outdated. Outdated is the wrong word, no one has ever done this. It's just inconvenient.

"Classic Game Selection," even if it's not the final name, might suggest that they're ditching the VC branding.

But it at least sounds like they might have abandoned the idea of the free games only being one-month rentals.

KarmaCow

Actual pricing. The online benefits were known.

Ah okay, I guess the pricing before was just speculation.

They also announced some of the games that will have online, thats new

Nah that was known beforehand though the wording has changed. It's possibly multiple games and not only for a month. Though this page is pretty sparse, so who knows if that is an actual change.

Totakeke

I still want to see more details on the lobby integration between the smartphone and switch. Does it start a game automatically for me with the desired people right from the phone?

But one convenience of the app is that it's far easier to do text chat on your phone compared to your console, and probably even the switch in handheld mode.

The phone app thing is incredible, surreal that such a big company is doing that in 2018.

At least they priced it lower than the competition. Not sure what I'll be wanting to play online next year since I'll likely be over Splatoon and ARMS and Wii U didn't have any games I played online other than the first Splatoon, but $20/yr is cheap enough that the classic games will likely be worth it.

Except for people who have already bought them on VC multiple times. Glad I never really got into that.

Whats incredible about it?

mindatlarge

$20 I can live with, even with the lackluster performance at times of their network...though they really do need to work on bettering their servers. Disappointed we won't see this go live until 2018, as that may point to VC not launching until then. Perhaps this extended time will give them time to improve performance though.

Nif

I've wondered if they could patch online play for some of their virtual console stuff. I'd love to play something like Secret of Mana online.

Top Bottom