• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wccftech: ESO Runs at 4K@30FPS on XB1X with Additional Graphics Fidelity over Pro

As it should be I would say. I mean you have extra power to work with, why let it go to waste?

A while ago, Zenimax Online’s Creative Director Rich Lambert confirmed in an interview with Finder.com.au that MMORPG Elder Scrolls Online will receive an Xbox One X update.

Elder Scrolls Online already added PlayStation 4 Pro enhancements when Sony’s console shipped last year. Users have the chance to pick between a native 4K (2160P) resolution at 30 frames per second or, alternatively, stay at Full HD (1080P) resolution to get better shadows, ambient occlusion, and water reflections.

We had the chance to speak with Game Director Matt Firor at E3 2017 and ask him whether the Xbox One X was powerful enough to run Elder Scrolls Online at 4K@60FPS. The team is still making tweaks at this point, but he replied that it’s most likely going to run at 4K@30FPS while also getting those additional graphics effects that PS4 Pro only enables when running at 1080P resolution.

Unfortunately for console players, it seems like the PC will remain the only place where the game can be played at higher frame rates. Speaking of the PC version, we also asked Matt Firor whether Zenimax Online had any plans to bring over support for High Dynamic Range (HDR) displays from console to PC now that several compatible monitors are about to be launched.

The good news is that it will happen, the bad news is that there is no timetable yet. The reason is that on consoles there’s a well-defined spec and API combination, whereas on PC things are much more complicated.

http://wccftech.com/elder-scrolls-online-4k30fps-xb1x/

Oh boy.

And. Here. We. Go.

I wonder if FIFA, COD, Destiny, will have the infamous'graphics parity clause' now, but the other way?

By the way - to be clear, I very much doubt such a clause exists or ever existed.

That's more like it. If both systems are used properly we should see either -

a) Graphics parity, with X1X having much higher resolution

or

b) Same or similar resolution, with better graphics, textures etc on X1X

30fps vs 60fps ain't happening except maybe on some rare cases. Dat Jaguar.

I mean given the hardware they should have pushed for 60fps. But ESO is not well optimized even with a 1070 fps drops to below 60 sometimes in 30s in towns with lot of people at 1080p.

Lom1lo

Oh boy.

And. Here. We. Go.

I wonder if FIFA, COD, Destiny, will have the infamous'graphics parity clause' now, but the other way?

By the way - to be clear, I very much doubt such a clause exists or ever existed.

Fifa, Destiny -> yes (as it was with one/ps4)
cod -> looked better on ps4 despite ms deal

DOWN

Banned

or

Yeah, reasonably this is what should be happening

c0de

or

But gpgpu and all the wonders that was to give the ps4 even more of overhead over xbone... /s

FingerBang

or

Exactly, and I am pretty sure we're going to see case a) more often than case b).

pitchfork

Hoping they can make good use of that extra ram and sort out some of the texture loading and pop in issues the game has

Love this game though, so good to hear

shandy706

4K/30 fps? Most games will do that on like an i5/GTX 970

Higher end cards will play games at 4K/60fps

The LOL probably comes from cost. 970s and 1060/70s are still over $300 without counting the CPU. I'm curious what 4k/60, Ultra settings, Forza 7 will require on PC. Glad we have cross-play, I look forward to trying it on both.

Lucifon

As it should be, the platform is a fair bit more powerful so there's no reason they shouldn't be optimising for the platforms strengths.

We still play eso a fair bit so it's awesome to hear it'll get an update. Currently the game looks abit rough compared to the pc, hopefully this will improve things.

Gestault

We had the chance to speak with Game Director Matt Firor at E3 2017 and ask him whether the Xbox One X was powerful enough to run Elder Scrolls Online at 4K@60FPS. The team is still making tweaks at this point, but he replied that it's most likely going to run at 4K@30FPS while also getting those additional graphics effects that PS4 Pro only enables when running at 1080P resolution.

This is totally reasonable. They're doing tweaking to get an existing framework into the updated spec. It seems like the best of both worlds, in terms of the performance they're locking in. With more time they could maybe tweak so the stability is high enough for 60 fps, but I doubt they want to dedicate too many resources when it's a subset of a subset of users.

Considering the Pro version has to choose between more detail and 4K, this fits exactly in with the 1X hardware target of both.

inner-G

Banned
The LOL probably comes from cost. 970s and 1060/70s are still over $300 without counting the CPU. I'm curious what 4k/60, Ultra settings, Forza 7 will require on PC. Glad we have cross-play, I look forward to trying it on both.
A GTX 970 is quite midrange for a gaming PC these days, I think.

I made no claims about price

ElfArmy177

4K/30 fps? Most games will do that on like an i5/GTX 970

Higher end cards will play games at 4K/60fps

You're using a broad brush to decide what's mid-range, what's acceptable settings in game and how "locked" at 30 it is, as well as costs but ok. Yes, the 300$ mid-range graphics card can run the whole game by itself :)

inner-G

Banned
You're using a broad brush to decide what's mid-range, what's acceptable settings in game and how "locked" at 30 it is, as well as costs but ok. Yes, the 300$ mid-range graphics card can run the whole game by itself :)

You're the one injecting price into the equation

I never pretended PCs and consoles are the same price. I was talking about performance - moving pixels on the screen.

I say midrange because something like a last-gen i5 chip and 970 is markedly weaker (and cheaper) tech than something like a new i7 and 1080ti

That would be a bit disappointing because isn't Pro already hitting checkerboard 4K pretty often with games now? So that's only going to mean XB1X will maintain the resolution better?

Well, 1080p to 4K is a big jump, dunno for this game but the more memory could also provide better textures even with Pro at 1080p.

And most games on Pro are 1800c, with little to no added graphics settings, so perhaps they even have to tune the resolution further down from that to deliver the same effects.

Top Bottom