• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wccftech: ESO Runs at 4K@30FPS on XB1X with Additional Graphics Fidelity over Pro

I think you better wait to see if this actually happens because Xbox One X isn't 4X as powerful as the PS4 Pro it's not even 2X the power of the PS4 Pro so I doubt that they will have the same settings as the PS4 Pro 1080P mode while running in 4K, if it does 1080P mode on PS4 Pro is being held back. I think some of the 1080P PS4 Pro settings will make it to 4K on Xbox One X but not a full 4X jump from 1080P PS4 Pro to 4K Xbox One X.
Not much of a mistery there, Pro can't handle the effects in 4k, but they don't support any other resolution lower than 4k but higher than 1080p,so they dropped all the way to 1080p, basically meaning that yeah, likely regarding gpu there's plenty of performance headroom on Pro in 1080p mode.

coastel

Really don't know why it would surprise anyone that games would have better graphics on the xbox1x. It's more powerful.

meirl

Banned
Man. 1080p vs. 4k at the same settings. That reminds me of CoD: Ghosts 720p vs. 1080p.

Well, the difference between 1080p and 4k is MUCH bigger though:

UltraHD.jpg

They are not jumping from 1080p to 2160p, they're going from 2160p to 2160p with improved effects. And the dev didn't mention better textures, which they almost certainly would if present.
If you want the extra visuals then the jump is from 1080p to 4k,that's what the other user was asking and what I responded to.

No they are not.

You mean the games that got upgraded with a pro mode? I would be surprised if it's not, unless you are counting remasters/indies/less demanding games (not trying to trash on those in anyway, only that it's clear in the context that we are talking about demanding games when talking about performance)

InLimbo

Neo Member
Sooooo.. we're all on the same page, right? Everyone speaking to the increased "graphics fidelity" is aware that these improvements are more than likely gonna be the sort of thing you have to watch a full-blown Digital Foundry analysis to see real evidence of?

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure there will be games that show a noticeable difference but there's no way that's gonna be the norm...

Sooooo.. we're all on the same page, right? Everyone speaking to the increased "graphics fidelity" is aware that these improvements are more than likely gonna be the sort of thing you have to watch a full-blown Digital Foundry analysis to see real evidence of?

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure there will be games that show a noticeable difference but there's no way that's gonna be the norm...

It will be the norm.

1X vs Pro should offer up about the same differences that the PS4 had over the XB1

Native vs checkerboard
2160c vs whatever the highest rung below 2160c is
Better effects and textures.

geordiemp

1X vs Pro should offer up about the same differences that the PS4 had over the XB1

Native vs checkerboard
2160c vs whatever the highest rung below 2160c is
Better effects and textures.

But its diminishing returns at 2160, hell even 1440 I dont give a damn with 50 inches at 8 ft.

900p was very noticeable on a modern living room TV, 1440p vs 1800c vs 2160c is not.

60 FPS on the other hand...

Another title that was 1080p on the standard XO.

Have we had any games that were sub 1080p on the Base model that have been confirmed to be hitting native 4K on XOX yet? I'm far more interested in how that would look and if they'd manage much more in the way of additional effects.

Stuff like ESO feel like softballs, I want to know how this system handles something a normal XO buckles under the strain of!

meirl

Banned
But its diminishing returns at 2160, hell even 1440 I dont give a damn with 50 inches at 8 ft.

900p was very noticeable on a modern living room TV, 1440p vs 1800c vs 2160c is not.

60 FPS on the other hand...

is this a jokepost or are you being serious? lol

again the difference in Pixels between 1080p vs. 4K and 900p vs. 1080p is MUCH bigger. stop downplaying. its Simple math...

killatopak

Gold Member
I tried ESO once but the game looks fugly even on a pro. I doubt resolution would change much. They need to revamp the assets themselves.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
So what does this mean for people with 1080p TV's
Enhanced + Downsampling?

Caayn

So what does this mean for people with 1080p TV's
Enhanced + Downsampling?
Jup, downsampling is done on a system level. As it has been done by previous consoles, and as it should be done imo.

So every title that runs above the display resolution will automatically be downsampled to that resolution.

geordiemp

is this a jokepost or are you being serious? lol

again the difference in Pixels between 1080p vs. 4K and 900p vs. 1080p is MUCH bigger. stop downplaying. its Simple math...

Deadly serious, and yes I have a maths degree LOL (well Physics and maths).

We have 2 tv's in same room, 1 is 1080p 50 inch, other is 4K 50 inch (about 9 ft distance to sitting). Both low Leo Bodnar for gaming.

2 x ps4 pro's so we can play games together side by side.

So I have played many native 4K, 2160c, 1800c, 1440p upscale vs 1080p on same games side by side for the last 6 months. I have formed an opinion on that experience,

I have to google to find if a game is 1800c or native 4K as I cant tell, at all, but I can tell if 900p easily, 1080p yes, 1440p and above I dont give a shit.

Its no big deal, and hence why outside console warrior crap the best bit about the pro is the 2.1 Ghz CPU and more stable frame rates, the IQ is nice but not OMG look at dat.

I think Scorpio will benefit from the 2.3 Ghz CPU a bit (even more stable 30 lol), but more game loading, LOD and the big one POP in on large maps.

However, if your experience is different, please do share.

If you intend to game up close on a monitor or have a full room projector then thats a different case.

leeh

I think you better wait to see if this actually happens because Xbox One X isn't 4X as powerful as the PS4 Pro it's not even 2X the power of the PS4 Pro so I doubt that they will have the same settings as the PS4 Pro 1080P mode while running in 4K, if it does 1080P mode on PS4 Pro is being held back. I think some of the 1080P PS4 Pro settings will make it to 4K on Xbox One X but not a full 4X jump from 1080P PS4 Pro to 4K Xbox One X.
You focus too much on the GPU.

At least the 3TF FP16 crazy train is over.

You mean the games that got upgraded with a pro mode? I would be surprised if it's not, unless you are counting remasters/indies/less demanding games (not trying to trash on those in anyway, only that it's clear in the context that we are talking about demanding games when talking about performance)
I might say that if the thread is about Elder Scrolls Online, we are not talking about demanding games. :) But this may be an empty distinction, as I expand on below.

For any reasonably defined category, go ahead and be surprised: it is the case that 1800c games do not outnumber 2160p games on Pro. Of course, if you really want to get a result where they do, then it's eminently possible to make it happen. Just carve away segments and disqualify titles.

But think about what's true for One X. We already know it'll have 2160c games, dynamic 2160c games, and lower resolutions too, all the way down to 1080p. So obviously, demanding games can't hit native 4K on Microsoft's machine either, right?

This is the problem with the category "demanding games". By definition, it includes only and exactly the very examples that don't succeed at reaching a threshold. It doesn't describe an inherent trait of games, but a result of them being run on particular hardware in a particular configuration.

If you want to compare the platforms, the only valid approach is to use categories that aren't themselves varying in scope on each. So we can compare all AAA, or all remasters, or individual titles, etc. And those natural categories will surely show the power gap, with One X hitting higher levels in each versus Pro.

#WhenyoutrytojustifyaPS4Pro.

I'm not trying to justify anything myself, but we really are getting into serious diminishing returns on just how noticeable an improvement resolution can make.

With had almost a year of digital foundry comparisons pointing out just how impressively close chequerboard rendering gets to native 4K, to the point of stating it's something we should be seeing more of on PC to make more efficient use of GPU's, even those that are already run rings around the XOX.

I genuinely think that extra 4GB of faster ram and improved CPU are going to give the XOX a far more noticeable advantage over the PS4Pro than the the sheer quantity of extra pixels it can push would suggest.

Higher quality textures, better lighting and shadows, more on screen effects, more onscreen characters and objects and smoother frametlrates, that's what a side by side comparison is going to notice.

Besides which, justifying the purchase of either model of PS4 is still a simple matter of remembering it has a he'll of a lot more games and more varied, generally wider appealing titles. Raw power was never the biggest reason for why the Xbox One was an inferior system to purchas. The XOX existing just means there's a more expensive version of the system to buy after you've bought a PS4 and a Switch if you've got money to burn and enough friends in the same boat, unless you're an American Teenage boy that only likes AAA multiplayer games.

Fuchsdh

Well, the difference between 1080p and 4k is MUCH bigger though:

UltraHD.jpg

Yeah, but increasing density comes with diminishing returns, especially at TV viewing distances. That's why MS was smart to not mandate true 4K in every case, because it's very possible other graphical effects are going to be more noticeable than the resolution.

Dinjoralo

I second that.
It is basically "some clickbait shit we just made up and can retroactively edit not too look as bad as we deserve later on" site.

And it also has the most cancerous comments section I have ever seen.

But, uh... seriously, why don't they have an option for higher framerates? I refuse to believe the system just can't handle it, that would be bonkers.

KageMaru

Good to see that they are taking advantage of the system.

This game look like it always used fp16

Can you tell us exactly what part of the game looks like it always used fp16?

The clause doesn't exist, devs just enforce it in order not to alienate one set of gamers

Or due to a lack of time or resources. I think developers care less about alienating anyone and more so about making sure every platform runs properly.

gamz

I'm not trying to justify anything myself, but we really are getting into serious diminishing returns on just how noticeable an improvement resolution can make.

With had almost a year of digital foundry comparisons pointing out just how impressively close chequerboard rendering gets to native 4K, to the point of stating it's something we should be seeing more of on PC to make more efficient use of GPU's, even those that are already run rings around the XOX.

I genuinely think that extra 4GB of faster ram and improved CPU are going to give the XOX a far more noticeable advantage over the PS4Pro than the the sheer quantity of extra pixels it can push would suggest.

Higher quality textures, better lighting and shadows, more on screen effects, more onscreen characters and objects and smoother frametlrates, that's what a side by side comparison is going to notice.

Besides which, justifying the purchase of either model of PS4 is still a simple matter of remembering it has a he'll of a lot more games and more varied, generally wider appealing titles. Raw power was never the biggest reason for why the Xbox One was an inferior system to purchas. The XOX existing just means there's a more expensive version of the system to buy after you've bought a PS4 and a Switch if you've got money to burn and enough friends in the same boat, unless you're an American Teenage boy that only likes AAA multiplayer games.

I love these posts. It's has everything. Console warrior, Please buy Sony, Power doesn't matter, Xbox doesn't have games, and a pot shot at people who play AAA games and people that have money to burn. Genius and Sony should use it in their promotions. We need people like you who are truly concerned for all gamers. Thanks.

geordiemp

#WhenyoutrytojustifyaPS4Pro.

#whenyouthinkaconsoleisexpensive

You think I need to justify £ 400. Thats sweet, I remember when I was a kid

Got 2 bud, and 2 wall mounted high end tv's, would get 2 Scorpio if it was not more damn Jaguar. I

have 2 old Ps4's in the loft somewhere and 2 360;s, I dont trade as I cant be bothered.

If Scorpio does get 60 FPS on the AAA big titles and I am wrong about the CPU, I will get 2 of them.

thill1985

Banned
I remember 900p Vs 1080p was very noticeable once DF told everyone what was up.

Yup. All it took was someone to point it out and provide side by side zoomed in screenshots displayed on a PC monitor 6 inches from the user's face and voila! "Night and day differences!" :p

I do hope that folks come to understand that viewing distance and tv size actually make a big difference in how the eye discerns these differences in resolution. I recall reading these forums a long time ago when folks trashed that IGN guy for even daring to mention viewing distance. Larger tv's with larger pixels make the differences much more obvious. It is true that the higher up the resolution food chain ya get the more those computing returns are diminished.

Makes me wish that X1X games would have a native 4k setting plus a 2160c + reconstruction mode that ups the asset fidelity. I will be disappointed if devs don't use the significantly larger RAM on X1X to have better draw distances and reduced draw in too.

thill1985

Banned
Who? Most multi platform games are on PC anyways so Scorpio having better graphics should be a given.

This. I feel like a lot of people here may not understand that stuff like the increased graphics settings and whatnot can in most cases just be easily ported over from the PC version of a game to X1X.

No, the exact same resolution. The difference lies in other effects.

They are not jumping from 1080p to 2160p, they're going from 2160p to 2160p with improved effects. And the dev didn't mention better textures, which they almost certainly would if present.

No they are not.

If you just think about it, you'd realize this can't possibly be true. The One X is more powerful than Pro, but nowhere near four times as powerful. What's far more likely is that the dev didn't want to spend a huge amount of time tweaking performance, so didn't bother examining intermediate resolution options for the low mode.

Yea, rather than go too deep into all the various tweaks or optimizations they can do at various resolutions, they are going with what they can most easily achieve. I wouldn't doubt it being possible to get some, or most, of the effects that aren't available in the PS4 Pro's 1080p mode to work at higher resolutions on PS4 Pro, but what they seemed to know for certain is they couldn't get it to work with the existing work they've done at 4K, bringing us right back to the current situation.

Xbox One X is able to do at native 4K what the Elder Scrolls Online team were only able to achieve at native 1080p on PS4 Pro. If it were as simple as just doing it at a higher resolution they would have, but maybe that would have required more work than they felt necessary, hence 1080p was the easiest route. Xbox One X, however, making this all possible from the start at native 4K is damn impressive in comparison no matter how one looks at it. And I don't think for a second they somehow did more work on Xbox One X.

Everybody tends to only look at the GPUs for these consoles more or less, but I don't think people factor into the equation the huge gap in available RAM to both consoles, or even the gap that exists in raw memory bandwidth. Neither of these two things were disadvantages the Xbox One showcased compared to the PS4 at all (both had access to similar amounts of RAM for games), or to anywhere near the same extent.

People will mention DDR3 and ESRAM on Xbox One, but that ESRAM wasn't non-existent. It was there and made up for the slower speed of the DDR3 on Xbox One. There's nothing on PS4 Pro that is bringing the available memory bandwidth anywhere in the range of the 326GB/s available on the One X, even if it isn't a perfect world where the X has 100% access to every bit of that 326GB/s for games. The same would be true even for PS4 Pro, which again brings us back to where we started.

onQ123

Yea, rather than go too deep into all the various tweaks or optimizations they can do at various resolutions, they are going with what they can most easily achieve. I wouldn't doubt it being possible to get some, or most, of the effects that aren't available in the PS4 Pro's 1080p mode to work at higher resolutions on PS4 Pro, but what they seemed to know for certain is they couldn't get it to work with the existing work they've done at 4K, bringing us right back to the current situation.

Xbox One X is able to do at native 4K what the Elder Scrolls Online team were only able to achieve at native 1080p on PS4 Pro. If it were as simple as just doing it at a higher resolution they would have, but maybe that would have required more work than they felt necessary, hence 1080p was the easiest route. Xbox One X, however, making this all possible from the start at native 4K is damn impressive in comparison no matter how one looks at it. And I don't think for a second they somehow did more work on Xbox One X.

Everybody tends to only look at the GPUs for these consoles more or less, but I don't think people factor into the equation the huge gap in available RAM to both consoles, or even the gap that exists in raw memory bandwidth. Neither of these two things were disadvantages the Xbox One showcased compared to the PS4 at all (both had access to similar amounts of RAM for games), or to anywhere near the same extent.

People will mention DDR3 and ESRAM on Xbox One, but that ESRAM wasn't non-existent. It was there and made up for the slower speed of the DDR3 on Xbox One. There's nothing on PS4 Pro that is bringing the available memory bandwidth anywhere in the range of the 326GB/s available on the One X, even if it isn't a perfect world where the X has 100% access to every bit of that 326GB/s for games. The same would be true even for PS4 Pro, which again brings us back to where we started.

I think the extra ram & bandwidth is going to make the biggest difference when put to use.

Have we had any games that were sub 1080p on the Base model that have been confirmed to be hitting native 4K on XOX yet? I'm far more interested in how that would look and if they'd manage much more in the way of additional effects.

Stuff like ESO feel like softballs, I want to know how this system handles something a normal XO buckles under the strain of!

Shadow of War is Native 4K apparently. And the first game was almost certainly no technical slouch. And once you see the 4K footage of this one running on Xbox One X, you see that this new one isn't either.

Killer Instinct was 900p on Xbone and according to Iron Galaxy is going to be 4k native on xbonex.

EvB

Yeah, but increasing density comes with diminishing returns, especially at TV viewing distances. That's why MS was smart to not mandate true 4K in every case, because it's very possible other graphical effects are going to be more noticeable than the resolution.

Only if you assume everyone is using a 26inch screen still.

Top Bottom