• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wccftech: ESO Runs at 4K@30FPS on XB1X with Additional Graphics Fidelity over Pro

Anyone who plays this game on PC knows that getting a solid 60FPS in populated areas even on Medium settings is impossible. The game is incredibly CPU-bound so I'm not surprised by this at all.

Mrbob

This is what I expected for Xbox One X over PS4 Pro. More graphical features at 4K but run at the same frame rate as PS4 Pro.

Anyone who plays this game on PC knows that getting a solid 60FPS in populated areas even on Medium settings is impossible. The game is incredibly CPU-bound so I'm not surprised by this at all.

That too, It's clear the GPU isn't the issue when even the Xbone handles it fairly well at 1080p (until you go to the PVP area and it becomes a slide show)

Like most MMOs, these games are extremely CPU-intensive.

That game looks great at 4K on the Pro, but you definitely can see the bells and whistles that are missing from the 1080-E mode.

Mauddib

Banned
Hotdamn that's awesome. It has enough power to go 4k with the additional flourishes that the Pro can only achieve if the resolution is lowered to 1080p.

Let's not forget that MS also freed up that extra GB of RAM. That news appeared right before E3. For sure things like that help out a lot as well. That's why I sure as hell hope most third parties will bother with this and not just leave all the extra power to waste.

onQ123

Hotdamn that's awesome. It has enough power to go 4k with the additional flourishes that the Pro can only achieve if the resolution is lowered to 1080p.

I think you better wait to see if this actually happens because Xbox One X isn't 4X as powerful as the PS4 Pro it's not even 2X the power of the PS4 Pro so I doubt that they will have the same settings as the PS4 Pro 1080P mode while running in 4K, if it does 1080P mode on PS4 Pro is being held back. I think some of the 1080P PS4 Pro settings will make it to 4K on Xbox One X but not a full 4X jump from 1080P PS4 Pro to 4K Xbox One X.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
We had the chance to speak with Game Director Matt Firor at E3 2017 and ask him whether the Xbox One X was powerful enough to run Elder Scrolls Online at 4K@60FPS.
I'm sure it could, but it'd look like ass.

Let's not forget that MS also freed up that extra GB of RAM. That news appeared right before E3. For sure things like that help out a lot as well. That's why I sure as hell hope most third parties will bother with this and not just leave all the extra power to waste.

Have we seen this in action yet?

Hawk269

I hope they use the extra memory to bring over some of the better texture resolution of the PC version to the Xbox One X

wow HUGE difference in Resolution.
No, the exact same resolution. The difference lies in other effects.

Well, 1080p to 4K is a big jump, dunno for this game but the more memory could also provide better textures even with Pro at 1080p.
They are not jumping from 1080p to 2160p, they're going from 2160p to 2160p with improved effects. And the dev didn't mention better textures, which they almost certainly would if present.

And most games on Pro are 1800c, with little to no added graphics settings....
No they are not.

If you just think about it, you'd realize this can't possibly be true. The One X is more powerful than Pro, but nowhere near four times as powerful. What's far more likely is that the dev didn't want to spend a huge amount of time tweaking performance, so didn't bother examining intermediate resolution options for the low mode.

No, the exact same resolution. The difference lies in other effects.

They are not jumping from 1080p to 2160p, they're going from 2160p to 2160p with improved effects. And the dev didn't mention better textures, which they almost certainly would if present.

No they are not.

If you just think about it, you'd realize this can't possibly be true. The One X is more powerful than Pro, but nowhere near four times as powerful. What's far more likely is that the dev didn't want to spend a huge amount of time tweaking performance, so didn't bother examining intermediate resolution options for the low mode.

I just read through the pro enhanced game thread to see what games we may expect to get an upgrade. Firstly I want to state it makes quite sad reading and I hope developers make more effort in the future. Second you are right most games aren't 1800c because most are lower as a %. Hopefully X will make pro better for you.

Liabe you're the owner of the Pro improvements thread right? At last count weren't there more 2160 (dynamic or native) Pro titles than 1440/1800 etc?
It depends exactly what you mean by that question. I believe I said in another thread that the vast majority of titles are 1080p on Pro, because they don't have any official support at all. The same will surely be true on Xbox One X as well.

Of the games that do have official support, about a quarter of them are 1080p (32 out of 127). This is a combination of perfunctory support, the occasional title rising from 900p, and devs who consciously chose to focus on cranking up graphical effects or framerate instead of resolution.

If we're just talking about the 95 games that do have higher-resolution modes, then the answer to your question is yes. In that category, there are 54 games with what Microsoft labels as "True 4K" resolution, and 41 with lower (about a 57/43 split). Since it will undoubtedly come up, 37 of those 4K games are native 4K.

belvedere

Junior Butler
It depends exactly what you mean by that question. I believe I said in another thread that the vast majority of titles are 1080p on Pro, because they don't have any official support at all. The same will surely be true on Xbox One X as well.

Of the games that do have official support, about a quarter of them are 1080p (32 out of 127). This is a combination of perfunctory support, the occasional title rising from 900p, and devs who consciously chose to focus on cranking up graphical effects or framerate instead of resolution.

If we're just talking about the 95 games that do have higher-resolution modes, then the answer to your question is yes. In that category, there are 54 games with what Microsoft labels as "True 4K" resolution, and 41 with lower (about a 57/43 split). Since it will undoubtedly come up, 37 of those 4K games are native 4K.

Ok so that lines up with what I was seeing a few weeks ago. If we're talking about Pro supported titles targeting above 1080p, most run on the 2160 side than the 1440p side.

What I would love would be some crossplay :|

But good thing for X1X users, I'm always switching between 1080p vs 4K modes, can't decide which one I like the most lol

FingerBang

That would be a bit disappointing because isn't Pro already hitting checkerboard 4K pretty often with games now? So that's only going to mean XB1X will maintain the resolution better?

That's the thing: it isn't.

I think the majority of games are not 4K (regardless of native or cb) on PS4. Some games are just 1080p. We have to hope Xbox One X gives developers one more reason to squeeze more out of the consoles...

Fuchsdh

That's more like it. If both systems are used properly we should see either -

a) Graphics parity, with X1X having much higher resolution

or

b) Same or similar resolution, with better graphics, textures etc on X1X

30fps vs 60fps ain't happening except maybe on some rare cases. Dat Jaguar.

I agree, but the 30>60 consideration probably isn't just about the processor (because they could forgo pretty toggles if they wanted to hit 60 on a lot of games and would probably be fine.) The higher frame rate adds a lot to most games, so I imagine they're better off trying to keep that stuff feeling consistent. Using the nicest platform to show off quasi-bullshots is nothing new but I think people are going to feel the different a lot more often.

enemy2k

Dope, I play ESO so really looking forward to seeing the graphical and the 4k resolution upgraded on One X. I have a 4k tv and can't wait till they finally release The X.

onQ123

Umm that's exactly what it is. The Pro can't output 4k at those graphical settings. If it could, the game would be 4k at those settings.

So the PS4 Pro native 4K mode don't exist because the game director said that the game most likely will run in 4K while getting the graphic effects that PS4 Pro has at 1080P?

Users have the chance to pick between a native 4K (2160P) resolution at 30 frames per second or, alternatively, stay at Full HD (1080P) resolution to get better shadows, ambient occlusion, and water reflections.

We had the chance to speak with Game Director Matt Firor at E3 2017 and ask him whether the Xbox One X was powerful enough to run Elder Scrolls Online at 4K@60FPS. The team is still making tweaks at this point, but he replied that it’s most likely going to run at 4K@30FPS while also getting those additional graphics effects that PS4 Pro only enables when running at 1080P resolution.

You should probably wait to see what effects they will be using at 4K but even then it's still 4K vs 4K not 1080P vs 4K.

SRTtoZ

I mean given the hardware they should have pushed for 60fps. But ESO is not well optimized even with a 1070 fps drops to below 60 sometimes in 30s in towns with lot of people at 1080p.

Yep, the base hero engine is garbage. I get 4k/60 in many places but all of a sudden it will dip to under 30 even with 1080p.

Shame they didn't keep the same visuals and bump the performance. Game is no looker.

It straight up looks like "Video Game"
It's the game I picture when in a tv show a kids holding a GameCube controller and they flash a shot of the tv with an original xbox plugged in.
It's the most generic crap I've ever seen. It's like someone described a video game to a first year art student who has never played a game before.

ViolentP

It straight up looks like "Video Game"
It's the game I picture when in a tv show a kids holding a GameCube controller and they flash a shot of the tv with an original xbox plugged in.
It's the most generic crap I've ever seen. It's like someone described a video game to a first year art student who has never played a game before.

It's still fun though. Currently playing it. But in regards to a graphics pissing contest, this is some low hanging fruit.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
not 60fps!? Damn parity strikes again!

I'm just kidding, but seriously, i hope people realize that these CPU's are not miracle workers and they aren't going to cause FPS to jump like that.

Umm that's exactly what it is. The Pro can't output 4k at those graphical settings. If it could, the game would be 4k at those settings.

its not 1080p vs 4K, its 4K vs 4K with higher graphical settings.

tuna_love

Banned
not 60fps!? Damn parity strikes again!

I'm just kidding, but seriously, i hope people realize that these CPU's are not miracle workers and they aren't going to cause FPS to jump like that.

its not 1080p vs 4K, its 4K vs 4K with higher graphical settings.
thats not what it says

Rourkey

Oh boy.

And. Here. We. Go.

I wonder if FIFA, COD, Destiny, will have the infamous'graphics parity clause' now, but the other way?

By the way - to be clear, I very much doubt such a clause exists or ever existed.

The clause doesn't exist, devs just enforce it in order not to alienate one set of gamers

Top Bottom