• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 hour finale episode for Sense8 announced, coming 2018

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
8EQGtOQ.jpg

DDgldC5XsAAj4C9

https://mobile.twitter.com/sense8/status/880495946370568194

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
I have no respect for companies that market content to pull at the heartstrings of viewers and don't at least finish what they started. It's like fans are just expected to react positively to everything they produce, and totally be cool when it is stripped away.

I don't care if this sounds entitled. Ensuring a finale of some sort in the event of a cancellation should be considered mandatory, and when such a thing isn't produced, all those involved should be ashamed of themselves for treating fans like expendable trash.

I feel like we shouldn't be treating this as a generous gift, but as a realistic expectation to keep people interested in Netflix.

I have no respect for companies that market content to pull at the heartstrings of viewers and don't at least finish what they started. It's like fans are just expected to react positively to everything they produce, and totally be cool when it is stripped away.

I don't care if this sounds entitled. Ensuring a finale of some sort in the event of a cancellation should be considered mandatory, and when such a thing isn't produced, all those involved should be ashamed of themselves for treating fans like expendable trash.

imo this is 90% on the series writers/showrunners, not on the network. We want networks to be hands off and let people do their thing, so starting to put in caveats of "monitor your show, make sure it has an ending!" is a mis step. Their job is to fund the show, market it, provide connections, etc not to fiddle with the actual content.

The creators of sense8 had a pretty good idea that it wasn't going to last beyond two seasons, they should have wrapped up definitely and maybe had a minor teaser of where things could go in any potential further seasons. Its very, very, very cool of Netflix to do this, but its not on them its on the Wachowski's for fucking up.

Hydrus

Pretty cool Netflix did that. I wish more companies would do that instead of just canceling and telling people fuck you.

imo this is 90% on the series writers/showrunners, not on the network. We want networks to be hands off and let people do their thing, so starting to put in caveats of "monitor your show, make sure it has an ending!" is a mis step. Their job is to fund the show, market it, provide connections, etc not to fiddle with the actual content.

The creators of sense8 had a pretty good idea that it wasn't going to last beyond two seasons, they should have wrapped up definitely and maybe had a minor teaser of where things could go in any potential further seasons. Its very, very, very cool of Netflix to do this, but its not on them its on the Wachowski's for fucking up.

Agree 100%

Ishan

I feel like we shouldn't be treating this as a generous gift, but as a realistic expectation to keep people interested in Netflix.
err . no one is stopping fans from say raising 16 mill needed at the 8 mill per episode rate that show supposedly was . the company doesnt owe a viewer an obligation to continue a loss maker.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
imo this is 90% on the series writers/showrunners, not on the network. We want networks to be hands off and let people do their thing, so starting to put in caveats of "monitor your show, make sure it has an ending!" is a mis step.

I don't watch the show, but my argument stands for anyone responsible for what happened.

If you can't take fucking responsibility for what you create, don't bother getting people emotionally invested. It makes the fan base look like profit cattle that just isn't needed anymore, so fuck em for getting invested in what we produce.

err . no one is stopping fans from say raising 16 mill needed at the 8 mill per episode rate that show supposedly was . the company doesnt owe a viewer an obligation to continue a loss maker.

You would have some validity, if only my argument was for them to continue the show, which it isn't.

ultracal31

You don't get to bring friends.
It's not my jam but I'm happy that the fans will get their ending and not have to wait years for it :)

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
Very welcome news! I'm sure everything will be rushed but I'm hoping we'll be getting some closure now.

kiguel182

This show deserves it (and much more). I'm so happy Netflix is giving us this. It doesn't make up for the cancellation but it's going to be awesome.

OnPoint

I have zero knowledge of this show but as a fan of shows that HAVE ended on cliffhangers, I am happy to hear this for the fans.

Pastry

Banned
I don't watch the show, but my argument stands for anyone responsible for what happened.

If you can't take fucking responsibility for what you create, don't bother getting people emotionally invested. It makes the fan base look like profit cattle that just isn't needed anymore, so fuck em for getting invested in what we produce.

The fan base is profit cattle though? They aren't doing this stuff for free. If anything this is on the Wachoskis for making a series that cost like a billion bucks an episode and then ending a season on a cliff hanger.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Good news I guess. My wife loved the show, I haven't watched it yet but I guess this is incentive enough.

This is really excellent news. I'm not sure how much they can cover in two hours (maybe they'll finagle a longer runtime) but I'm very happy we'll get an actual ending.

I think the best thing about this is how public outcry helped make it happen.

Ishan

You would have some validity, if only my argument was for them to continue the show, which it isn't.

its a tv show. its partly the viewer's fault and their responsibility if they get so caught up emotionally with a work of fiction by someone else. The fiction producer is not faultless but holy crap if the viewer takes no blame and the fiction producer takes all.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
The fan base is profit cattle though? They aren't doing this stuff for free. If anything this is on the Wachoskis for making a series that cost like a billion bucks an episode and then ending a season on a cliff hanger.

I don't know how what you are saying here either invalidates my feelings or even relates to them on a granular level

its a tv show. its partly the viewer's fault and their responsibility if they get so caught up emotionally with a work of fiction by someone else. The fiction producer is not faultless but holy crap if the viewer takes no blame and the fiction producer takes all.

o thanks for explaining that to me

ill remember to take my share of blame

Ishan

anyway on topic. Good to see closure. But im not sure how much a 2 hour finale will do better than nothing.

platakul

Banned

We are basically in a spot where it's not worth getting invested in a series until it has 3 seasons or so, but then shows won't last that long unless you get invested early... blah

Top Bottom