• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 hour finale episode for Sense8 announced, coming 2018

giphy.gif

MarkusRJR

Netflix must've heard all the pissed fans.

Thankful the series gets a proper ending. They should do this more often to series that they cancel; the ones that deserve it at least.

As I said in the Season 2 OT, I've restarted my membership. It feels like a happy success if the noise I made and my cancellation was part of a recognized protest. Whatever the case, I'm delighted.

Loved Lana's words there too.

Sheroking

The fan base is profit cattle though? They aren't doing this stuff for free. If anything this is on the Wachoskis for making a series that cost like a billion bucks an episode and then ending a season on a cliff hanger.

Netflix's profit model is not tied to advertising dollars or anything particularly linear. They have a formula for views, quality and coverage, and how it impacts their sub counts.

Put it this way. TV Networks rarely do this type of thing because they have timeslots they need to sell to advertisers. By producing more of something low-rated for that timeslot, they kill their ad-rates and hemorrage money. That's not Netflix's model. Netflix makes X amount of dollars from subs, produces X amount of original content/licenses content. They lose far less by producing two more episodes of a TV show to give fans closure, and they gain a PR win by being more accommodating to shows and fans alike than traditional TV.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
We are basically in a spot where it's not worth getting invested in a series until it has 3 seasons or so, but then shows won't last that long unless you get invested early... blah

Maybe if we all try a little harder to adjust our expectations to the unpredictable beat of tv show producers, we can all strive for a world where no big company ever has to feel a little stressed over their viewers being angry over the dumb shit that happens when they can't plan for a shows longevity.

All shows need to get these if they were canned without an ending being filmed.

Oh you shouldn't say this because you might come off as someone who deserves even a minimal amount of closure for your continued investment.

Nice, I'll actually watch the series now that it has a definitive ending. I heard good things but lost interest when they suddenly cancelled it.

GG Netflix

Nice, I'll actually watch the series now that it has a definitive ending. I heard good things but lost interest when they suddenly cancelled it.

GG Netflix

I was kinda in the same boat, although I watched the first season and had been putting off season 2. Right when I was about to jump in and watch it, they canceled the show and I suddenly felt no urgency to watch it and put if off again.

Now I can feel confident in jumping back in and knowing there'll be some sort of conclusion or resolution to it.

Netflix's profit model is not tied to advertising dollars or anything particularly linear. They have a formula for views, quality and coverage, and how it impacts their sub counts.

Put it this way. TV Networks rarely do this type of thing because they have timeslots they need to sell to advertisers. By producing more of something low-rated for that timeslot, they kill their ad-rates and hemorrage money. That's not Netflix's model. Netflix makes X amount of dollars from subs, produces X amount of original content/licenses content. They lose far less by producing two more episodes of a TV show to give fans closure, and they gain a PR win by being more accommodating to shows and fans alike than traditional TV.

Plus Netflix's appeal is to have a ton of original content and having an original series that they've invested hundreds of millions of dollars but doesn't have a conclusion does not help them in the long term. By investing tens of millions on the conclusion they can have a series people 20 years from now can subscribe to and binge watch knowing it's complete story with a big budget and high concept that they can't see anywhere else.

jb1234

I'm not sure how they'll be able to wrap everything up in two hours and give enough time for the characters but I'm glad we'll get to see them try.

Is this series worth it?

The show wears its heart on its sleeve, and it's so hard not to get caught up in it. It has such an infectious energy throughout. I can see why it's not for everyone, because it has deep flaws (writing is occasionally atrocious; handles some social/political issues with little to no finesse), but I'd recommend checking it out for yourself. I personally love it

someday

Banned
I have no respect for companies that market content to pull at the heartstrings of viewers and don't at least finish what they started. It's like fans are just expected to react positively to everything they produce, and totally be cool when it is stripped away.

I don't care if this sounds entitled. Ensuring a finale of some sort in the event of a cancellation should be considered mandatory, and when such a thing isn't produced, all those involved should be ashamed of themselves for treating fans like expendable trash.

I feel like we shouldn't be treating this as a generous gift, but as a realistic expectation to keep people interested in Netflix.
Completely agree with this. The fact that they announced the cancellation weeks after hyping the second season made this whole thing worse. This 2 hour episode is the least they could do. Frankly, it's going to be really tough to wrap up all of the threads in that amount of time but it is still better than nothing.

KarmaCow

There's no way that this could ever be satisfying considering all the setup and teasing in the previous two seasons but I'll take it. Better than the de facto finale before this.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
Is this series worth it?

Took me a bit to get into it, but I loved it in the end.

Note, in case you have not heard... it is heavy on sexual themes and some pretty hard stuff on occasion. If you are uncomfortable watching that sort of thing with friends/family, maybe watch it solo lol.

Definitely not around kids though.

All shows need to get these if they were canned without an ending being filmed.

For shows that are part of a catalog to get online subscribers, you're right it does because it strengthens their series legacy and ensures it's longevity by people still watching a "complete" story decades from now.

gdt

Wow thats great for fans.

And it's in Netflix's too. To have a complete show in their back catalog that people and pick up and watch years from now.

Top Bottom