• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 hour finale episode for Sense8 announced, coming 2018

I'm glad for this. I loved season one and I hadn't gotten to season two before it was canceled. I wondered if I should even bother with so many other things in my backlog. I will definitely go back now.

o thanks for explaining that to me

ill remember to take my share of blame
It's not Netflix's fault. It's absolutely on the creators themselves for not creating a compelling narrative without dangling a carrot at the end of the season. All showrunners should go into the season fully expecting that their vision may or may not get cancelled because of lack of viewership.

Shoeless

That's actually pretty classy of them. I mean if the rumors about the budget per episode of this series are true, and that's combined with lower viewership, I completely understand why they made the decision they did. But making one last effort to let the story resolve in some fashion is very generous of them.

On the other hand, I'm really emotionally invested in these characters, and it seems like every episode, at least one thing happens that gets me all teary-eyed and wish to God that these people come out of it okay. When I heard about the cancellation I raged over not getting the closure I needed for Sun's epic Korean soap operatics against her brother. I don't know, but for some reason I resonated most strongly with her struggle.

Now I just might get that closure after all.

sammex

tumblr_oqw7p8Foaq1tx5jamo1_540.gif

That's actually pretty classy of them. I mean if the rumors about the budget per episode of this series are true, and that's combined with lower viewership, I completely understand why they made the decision they did. But making one last effort to let the story resolve in some fashion is very generous of them.

On the other hand, I'm really emotionally invested in these characters, and it seems like every episode, at least one thing happens that gets me all teary-eyed and wish to God that these people come out of it okay. When I heard about the cancellation I raged over not getting the closure I needed for Sun's epic Korean soap operatics against her brother. I don't know, but for some reason I resonated most strongly with her struggle.

Now I just might get that closure after all.

I'm pretty sure that's not going to get concluded. It's going to take an hour at least to dispense with that cliffhanger. But anything is better than the infinite cliff the series ended at.

Shoeless

I'm pretty sure that's not going to get concluded. It's going to take an hour at least to dispense with that cliffhanger. But anything is better than the infinite cliff the series ended at.

I'll keep the flame alight until we get to it. I know obviously the main focus will be what the season finale ended up cliff hanging on, but I would imagine that they'll try to give each of the characters a little bit of time to wrap up the stories in their respective countries, though some have further to go with that than others.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Spend the first hour/hour and a half wrapping up the main plot, then spend the last half hour giving out fanservice and each set of characters a nice 5 minute scene montage to round out their individual stories.

Best we can hope for. You made this mess Wachoskis I'm just trying to clean it up!

It's not Netflix's fault. It's absolutely on the creators themselves for not creating a compelling narrative without dangling a carrot at the end of the season. All showrunners should go into the season fully expecting that their vision may or may not get cancelled because of lack of viewership.

I feel like there needs to be something in the middle. Writers shouldn't be careless about their plot threads but studios should also take into account that even with low numbers there are fans following a story, and give some kind of closure clause. Like when LOST was getting totally fucked by the writer's strike and ABC wanting it to go on indefinitely and the writers being like "Look that's great but we need to be able to know how to pace our show with all these plots and mysteries before it just gets cancelled and fucked so can we please make some kind of deal".

Like maybe some day there will be a general shift (like how cartoons went from multi-season 22-minute episode orders down to half season 11-minute orders) where shows will be picked up with some kind of "resolution clause" where if it gets cancelled before the show runners make their own ending, they're granted like a 1-2 hour finale to at least cap the show.

Parks & Rec did it best, though. I feel bad for them, since they only got half-season orders and never knew if they'd get more episodes until like THE last minute, so they wrote every half-season finale and season finale as if it was the series finale (which must have been stressful as fuck not just on their jobs but also having to constantly top themselves), but still leaving it open for future storylines. I love suspense and cliffhangers but they should only be done if the crew knows they'll get a follow-up season so that they and their fans don't get fucked if their show gets cancelled.

God I feel like a weight has been lifted. It really hit me hard when it was killed. It was like a continuation of the shitty regression our world seems to be having right now.

I know it is just a show, but this news seriously is giving me more hope and energy to keep fighting injustice and cruelty.

Schlep

Well, I would say Netflix is an exception. Up until the past few months, they'd been giving nearly every show a chance to finish out its story in a final season. After the recent cancellations, anyone starting production on a show now knows that Netflix is no longer going to pour money into shows with low viewership. When Sense8 season 2 was made, however, giving shows a final season despite viewership was pretty much the MO.

nOoblet16

Well I'm pretty sure one of the main reason it cost so much to make was due to characters being everywhere in the world, but they finally got all of them together at the end of last season. So it should've been much cheaper to film atleast one whole season and have it be the final season.

But I guess a 2 hour special is better than not having any conclusion at all.

Some people are so fucking entitled it blows my mind. With regards to some of the comments on here: They don't owe you shit. This is a business. If it isn't economically feasible for them to produce an ongoing series then they'll cancel it.

EulaCapra

The superfans who kept up the campaign makes my day!

Really hope this 2 hour special "conclusion" can reignite more viewers for even more episodes.

duckroll

YES!!!!

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG FUCK YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Some people are so fucking entitled it blows my mind. With regards to some of the comments on here: They don't owe you shit. This is a business. If it isn't economically feasible for them to produce an ongoing series then they'll cancel it.

Thank you for your amazing contribution to a mostly positive thread of people celebrating that a show they love is getting another chance to tell more of the story the creators want to tell. Now buzz off while we feel the love.

I feel like there needs to be something in the middle. Writers shouldn't be careless about their plot threads but studios should also take into account that even with low numbers there are fans following a story, and give some kind of closure clause. Like when LOST was getting totally fucked by the writer's strike and ABC wanting it to go on indefinitely and the writers being like "Look that's great but we need to be able to know how to pace our show with all these plots and mysteries before it just gets cancelled and fucked so can we please make some kind of deal".

Like maybe some day there will be a general shift (like how cartoons went from multi-season 22-minute episode orders down to half season 11-minute orders) where shows will be picked up with some kind of "resolution clause" where if it gets cancelled before the show runners make their own ending, they're granted like a 1-2 hour finale to at least cap the show.

Parks & Rec did it best, though. I feel bad for them, since they only got half-season orders and never knew if they'd get more episodes until like THE last minute, so they wrote every half-season finale and season finale as if it was the series finale (which must have been stressful as fuck not just on their jobs but also having to constantly top themselves), but still leaving it open for future storylines. I love suspense and cliffhangers but they should only be done if the crew knows they'll get a follow-up season so that they and their fans don't get fucked if their show gets cancelled.

My reading of this whole situation, though, is that the Wachowski's knew there was a decent chance the show would get cancelled after this season. I mean, Lana says in that letter that they knew the numbers weren't in their favor. If I were being cynical, I could even argue that they left the season on a cliff-hanger specifically because they were worried about getting cancelled and thought it would increase their chances of hanging on. So unless you're completely blindsided by your cancellation (which I don't think they were), it's on you as the creator to make that resolution, not on whomever is bankrolling you to allow you to keep going until you do.

And now that I think about it, that's one way in which a Netflix show has it worse than a typical network show. With a network show, they're getting the ratings throughout the season, and it's much easier to get a feel about whether you're doing well enough to hang on or not, and plan the end of your season accordingly. With Netflix, the whole thing is filmed before the first episode ever comes out, so you can't really know whether you've done well enough to get another season until after you've finished the story.

I suspected they might end up doing this. An unfinished Netflix Original show doesn't really benefit them or their users, so wrapping up the show in a one off finale was really the best option for them. At least after this, they can promote it as a complete story as part of their catalog, which will always be available for future fans.

Haven't watched the show but it's great to see that Netflix cares enough to give it a proper ending. There's nothing worse than a unfinished TV show.

neto

Awesome! I haven't seen the series yet but I have always wondered why is this not more common with cancelled tv shows, it sucks to be left on a cliffhanger forever, at least do a 2 or 3 episodes ending season just to try and tie up as must as possible to give it a closure, I'm sure fans would appreciate it

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Just heard about this. It's great news!

We had stopped watching after the cancellation, about halfway through season 2. It had seemed kind of pointless to continue with the story if it was just going to stop with no kind of closure. Now we can get back into it!

Ishan

its good this got approved fast. cause otherwise reassembling all the cast would have been harder and harder as time went on.

Top Bottom