• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WE DID IT: Toy Story-Level Video Game Graphics Acheived - Literally

HotHamBoy

Toy Story 1:

r9XEJj7.jpg

toystory.jpg

Hix5Ul0.jpg

Kingdom Hearts 3:

kingdom-hearts-3-toy-story.jpg

amefnnzbwpt3niawsvxu.png

23KxISZ.jpg

IFAu3eX.jpg

GUnbL46.jpg

toy_story_trailer_scruyso3.jpg

toy_story_trailer_scrh0sgj.jpg

It is ABSURD how well they nailed the Toy Story world. As someone who was waiting for this movie to be included in a KH game for over a decade this is the BEST.

Dremorak

Banned
This whole idea has befuddled me for years. We have had ingame graphics that far surpass toy story for a very long time.

sanstesy

It's gorgeous but no, still not Toy Story level graphics. You can clearly see the polygons on Woody around the ears and especially lightning in small spots is not up to par.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Let's be honest, when people starting throwing around this "Toy Story graphics" thing, all they meant was relatively high poly counts beyond PS1-level, that would allow you to have realistic characters who could emote through facial animation, etc.

We were there by FFX.

Ridley327

It's still not as high in polygon count (Buzz in close-up gives that away), but it's still insane how well they reproduced those visuals for us to have this conversation seriously. It's very impressive how close we're at now.

Jashobeam

only big difference to me based on those screen comparisons are the use of depth of field in KH3 screens compared to Toy Story screens. The character models are spot on though.

Ahasverus

To know that's Unreal Engine 4.

Devs, stop using that shit of an engine called Unity and start using this stellar piece of software.

I dunno, they look too "matte" to me. In the films, characters like Woody had a bit of a glossy look to them to show they're made of plastic and I can't really say Kingdom Hearts does the same.

Dremorak

Banned
I actually prefer the lightning in the game to Toy Story 1. It's closer to Toy Story 3 and it looks great.

Thats because TS1 was breaking ground in terms of 3d lighting, every cg movie after had better lighting. The reason why they did a movie about toys is because toys are plastic hard surfaces and easier to get away with all sorts of things.

tuxfool

Banned
I dunno, they look too "matte" to me. In the films, characters like Woody had a bit of a glossy look to them to show they're made of plastic and I can't really say Kingdom Hearts does the same.

I suspect that is an artistic choice to prevent overly sharp speculars, which would show strong aliasing under certain conditions. Also, like others here, I also prefer the "look" to the original pixar films.

Jashobeam

To know that's Unreal Engine 4.

Devs, stop using that shit of an engine called Unity and start using this stellar piece of software.

Come on now, Unity is mostly used by indie studios with low budgets, and small teams, sometimes just 1 person. In that regard its a fantastic engine for them to use to make their ideas become reality. They work with the tools they can afford and make the best of it.

I do agree that big studios have no business using Unity though, and I'm pretty sure none of them do, only example I can think of is Super Bomberman R for the Switch.

Top Bottom