• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WE DID IT: Toy Story-Level Video Game Graphics Acheived - Literally

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Are these KH3 screens in-game? I'm guessing running on PS4Pro or Scorpio if so? They look absolutely incredible.

The shading quality and overall IQ is not actually the same.

The output resolution and texture assets yea, but very much discounting what Toy Story does with the rendering system in terms of shading and lighting which is only approximated in real-time in comparison even still today.

BroBot

UE4 putting in work

23KxISZ.jpg

IFAu3eX.jpg

GUnbL46.jpg

If I didn't see the Kingdom Hearts trailer and you told me these were screenshots from Toy Story 4, I'd believe you. Amazing.

IQ is still years off. Maybe even a couple of full generations. But it looks fantastic.

Can't wait for Moana-like visuals on the PS12.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
They certainly nailed the plastic doll look. Unfortunately it extends to the human characters as well.

gamerMan

It might seem close, but we aren't even half way there yet. This is an approximation of the a 1995 CG movie that cuts corners everywhere. I think we now have enough of polygons as long as we don't go too close to the models. As soon as the camera moves in close, it is easy to see the polygonal edges and low res blurry textures. Look at how blocky Woody's fingers are. When the camera gets close, the button on his shirt looks like it could cut you with its razor sharp edges.

uAFQNTg.jpg

In terms of lighting and shadowing, it is not even close. We are talking millions of miles away. Comparatively Kingdom Hearts looks unlit. The materials, shaders, shadowing, and lighting look flat. Woody's hat looks like it is made out of plastic not cloth. There is no self shadowing on any of the models. All of the shadow maps are extremely low res and look like they are baked on for static objects. Because of the lack of realistic shadowing, the characters look like cutouts.

Like the movie, you would think they would simulate the sunlight coming into the room but everything has a flat and even look.

Why is Woody's hat not casting self shadows? Why is nothing in the environment casting shadows on the characters? The wood looks like it is painted on the floor not actual wood. The bedspead looks like a texture of a bedspread painted onto a polygon instead of being actually modeled and looking like fabric.

In terms of CG, this looks like it came out before 1995. For a video game, it is amazing, but comparing to even a 1995 CG is grand hyperbole.

7CX8Oj5.jpg

Comparing Rex in KHIII to Rex in Toy Story makes it painfully evident just by his textures that we aren't there yet.

KHIII is so freaking beautiful though, the fact that we're even having this discussion is praise the game well-deserves.

StMeph

Keep in mind the frames for the CG in the movies took a full day to render, so there's no shame in being behind the tech when it's being done in real-time.

Still, it means the movie CG is going to take a long time to catch up to, and we're still not there yet.

_Rob_

It does look pretty impressive, and the Toy Story theme intrigues me. However, the important question to me is whether Tom Hanks and Tim (or Jim) Allen will be reprising their roles?

ChrisD

All these TS1 pictures have me wanting to rewatch the whole series. I know the humans look bad, I thought that as a kid, but the toys and overall quality of lighting look phenomenal and welcoming.

Oh, KH3 looks fun, too.

It might seem close, but we aren't even half way there yet. This is an approximation of the a 1995 CG movie that cuts corners everywhere. I think we now have enough of polygons as long as we don't go too close to the models. As soon as the camera moves in close, it is easy to see the polygonal edges and low res blurry textures. Look at how blocky Woody's fingers are. When the camera gets close, the button on his shirt looks like it could cut you with its razor sharp edges.

uAFQNTg.jpg

In terms of lighting and shadowing, it is not even close. We are talking millions of miles away. Comparatively Kingdom Hearts looks unlit. The materials, shaders, shadowing, and lighting look flat. Woody's hat looks like it is made out of plastic not cloth. There is no self shadowing on any of the models. All of the shadow maps are extremely low res and look like they are baked on for static objects. Because of the lack of realistic shadowing, the characters look like cutouts.

Like the movie, you would think they would simulate the sunlight coming into the room but everything has a flat and even look.

Why is Woody's hat not casting self shadows? Why is nothing in the environment casting shadows on the characters? The wood looks like it is painted on the floor not actual wood. The bedspead looks like a texture of a bedspread painted onto a polygon instead of being actually modeled and looking like fabric.

In terms of CG, this looks like it came out before 1995. For a video game, it is amazing, but comparing to even a 1995 CG is grand hyperbole.

7CX8Oj5.jpg

LOL. Geez, it's not even close.

Auctopus

Read up about Pixar render farms and be in the comfort knowing that home consoles won't stand a chance.

I know it's been 22 years (damn!) but there's just things like lighting and IQ that developers will never match. It's nothing to be ashamed of but Pixar not only has their render farms behind them but also equally (if not better) artistic direction.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Am i the only one who HATED how Toy Story 1 looked? it looked so bad compared to traditional 2d movies...

uAFQNTg.jpg

7CX8Oj5.jpg

I can agree on the number of polygons, but all the rest is developer's fault, please don't tell me that modern games can't do something way better looking than that shitty Toy Story bedroom, also with a good use of PBR everything should look better by default.

Hoo-doo

Banned
There are some things in CG movies that games will not even come close to with current tech.

Single frames of Toy Story are rendered in huge farms to absolute perfection with perfect round edges, perfect shadows/lighting and models have zero polygon restraints. It's far from realistic to expect that kind of fidelity in current day video games.

So no, while we come close to fooling people into thinking we've achieved similar quality image-wise. We still have a long way to go.

Apoc29

I'm imagining some kid in a Gamestop going "Mommy, Mommy! Buy me the new Toy Story game! It looks just like the movie!" Then some Gaffer pops out of the woodwork and literally kicks the game out of his hands and says "Sorry, kid! You're in for a RUDE AWAKENING!"

I watched the trailer yesterday finally and noticed a lot of aliasing on the characters. That and lighting we're the only things that broke the "is this from a Toy Story movie?" illusion.

Otherwise, sure, they look similar. I'm more excited about playing the game though to worry about how close it looks to the movies.

Am i the only one who HATED how Toy Story 1 looked? it looked so bad compared to traditional 2d movies...

I can agree on the number of polygons, but all the rest is developer's fault, please don't tell me that modern games can't do something way better looking than that shitty Toy Story bedroom, also with a good use of PBR everything should look better by default.

Yeah the room at the end of U4 for example is far more impressive than that. Anyway, playing through Horizon right now I find it far more impressive overall than Toy Story the movie. The overall visual quality of the film is very dated.

Lynx_7

This, pretty much. The game still looks great, but it ain't there yet.

I'm imagining some kid in a Gamestop going "Mommy, Mommy! Buy me the new Toy Story game! It looks just like the movie!" Then some Gaffer pops out of the woodwork and literally kicks the game out of his hands and says "Sorry, kid! You're in for a RUDE AWAKENING!"

He's doing the kid a favor tbh. Imagine being a kid and wanting to have a grand old time with Woody and pals, but then being greeted by Kingdom Hearts' story and characters instead. He'd grow up a bitter, confused adult with trust issues.

Putosaure

Render is pretty close, and it might even have better textures than the first movie (watched the Blu-Ray a few week ago and some textures are just terribly pixeleated in backgrounds sometimes). We're almost there !

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I'm honestly more impressed with KH3 because it's all happening on a single machine instead of an entire render farm with hours, or even days of time to do so. This is all happening on a $400 to $500 piece of hardware in real time. That too me is far more impressive even if the Toy Story 1 does things better.

Looking back at toy story 1 you can see where some of the modelling has stretched or warped textures or looks unnatural, we've come a long way in CG it's great.

Kinyou

I guess it doesn't quite hold up when you do an in depth comparison but I'm still really impressed with how much they managed to imitate the look of the movie.

Top Bottom