• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WE DID IT: Toy Story-Level Video Game Graphics Acheived - Literally

Ahasverus

Come on now, Unity is mostly used by indie studios with low budgets, and small teams, sometimes just 1 person. In that regard its a fantastic engine for them to use to make their ideas become reality. They work with the tools they can afford and make the best of it.
Isn't Unreal free too now?

Lighting, shadows, and image quality still arent good enough to be deemed worthy of better looking than TS1. That goes for any game. Everything else, sure.

With the next gen consoles we will.also have the iq to back it up. Hopefully both next gen consoles have system wide downsampling as standard.

Yes, yes the likelihood of a KH3 pc port is high but that can be years, if sqeenix development time is anything to go by, by then ps5 might be out.

However in the here and now, ue4 and what to be an amazing pbr pipeline indeed at least rivals toy story 1 gfx. Especially how well the lighting looks natural.

Plus animation, TS1 has held up visually very well but some of the animation is very much of its time. The animation in KH3 helps the game look and feel much closer to TS3 then 1, impressive work by the Dev team.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I got it, that trailer was running on some stupid powerful PC. That's the only way to explain the impossible AA.

I await the thread complaining about the inevitable downgrade.

Orayn

I got it, that trailer was running on some stupid powerful PC. That's the only way to explain the impossible AA.

I await the thread complaining about the inevitable downgrade.

While I agree that there will be some drop in quality, UE4's built in AA really is quite good. The overall IQ is pretty soft but it covers everything well and even has a temporal component.

jett

D-Member
In which case, there is no way that scene from the game wasn't downsampled. You can see the tiny-ass stair stepping on the transparency of Buzz's helmet.

You can see some jaggies in the full resolution video, the footage really wasn't downsampled. In any case, you will get exceptional image quality on the Pro and especially on the Xbox One X. It's kind of a given these days.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
How has no movie surpassed Kingdom Hearts 3 in terms of cg yet?

c41220cfe4f7c510921d0f7dfa32199ff6b4ac6d7613ce0344335d6e723e5fb6.jpg

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
While I agree that there will be some drop in quality, UE4's built in AA really is quite good. The overall IQ is pretty soft but it covers everything well and even has a temporal component.

The AA in those scenes isn't "quite good" though.

jordanhowe

Neo Member
My hype level for this game dropped through floor over the past 5 years since the initial reveal but damn, I loved the way this looked in the trailer. Sign me up.

JordanN

Banned
Lighting, shadows, and image quality still arent good enough to be deemed worthy of better looking than TS1. That goes for any game. Everything else, sure.

I think it's fair to say the lighting is indeed better now in video games than in 1990s CG.

Subsurface scattering, ambient occlusion, and fresnel weren't common back then or where certainly too expensive to render even for CG.

Compare Woody's hat and cuffs in Toy Story to KH3, and you'll see he's lacking self shadowing in those areas. Or his plastic hat is receiving bounced lighting from the ground whereas in Toy Story 1, it's just an outdated specular highlight.

Of course this was all 20 years ago. Pixar would actually begin to use these techniques starting with Monsters Inc.

Doesn't look anywhere close to me. Lighting is still miles off and a few other small touches that really make a difference.

It looks good, for sure, but theres a long way to go.

Insane Metal

Gold Member
Modelling is still not there, but overall yeah it looks great and comparable. Lighting is actually better in the game...

- J - D -

I feel like the lack of gloss gives the TS characters in KH3 a more premium toy appearance. It's the difference between something you can buy off the shelf at a Toys R Us vs something higher end, made with better quality materials and better paint finish. Whether that's appropriate for Woody/Buzz and co. is another argument though.

Famassu

Glad to see that the plastic, doll-like look of the engine's character models benefitted some of the characters.
That's hardly true anymore. They started off looking like plastic but they've come a long way since then and can still improve a lot before release.

I'm on my phone and cant look at these pictures clearly. Does the first movie have anything like jaggies? I clearly saw jaggies in KH3 in a scene where it showed someone flat arm. (Either Woody's or Sora's)

Andy's dad died for this, but also polio.

Added to OP, thanks!

I think it's fair to say the lighting is indeed better now in video games than in 1990s CG.

Subsurface scattering, ambient occlusion, and fresnel weren't common back then or where certainly too expensive to render even for CG.

Compare Woody's hat and cuffs in Toy Story to KH3, and you'll see he's lacking self shadowing in those areas. Or his plastic hat is receiving bounced lighting from the ground whereas in Toy Story 1, it's just an outdated specular highlight.

Of course this was all 20 years ago. Pixar would actually begin to use these techniques starting with Monsters Inc.

Damn

If you get down to the nutty gritty, you'll still find things TS1 still surpasses, like polycount, resolution (I don't see PS4 pro rendering that IQ), etc. However, I think the take away, and what's more important IMO, is the advancements in modeling and lighting techniques in gaming, in a comparitive timeframe, when chasing a certain aesthetics. We got ways to go, of course, but what's here is damn impressive.

mcrommert

Banned
Doesn't 3ven look close... Real time still can't match that... Thought textures in games are better

Remember also though comparing to toy Story 1 is not what you think it as they touched up and rerendered for each release

Log4Girlz

If you get down to the nutty gritty, you'll still find things TS1 still surpasses, like polycount, resolution (I don't see PS4 pro rendering that IQ), etc. However, I think the take away, and what's more important IMO, is the advancements in modeling and lighting techniques in gaming, in a competitive timeframe, when chasing a certain aesthetics. We got ways to go, of course, but what's here is damn impressive.

TS was petty low resolution, but image quality is definitely superior in TS.

Isotropy

Videogames have long since surpassed 1990s CG in almost every respect except geometry and resolution/IQ. Isn't this already well established?

Alienfan

Looks great. I really hope the lips match the English dub, the game can look amazing, but if the animation doesn't sync up, it's going to end up looking pretty bad.

lt519

The character models, sure, but the textures and lighting are far worse. Look at the wood, floor, or the dull eyes in Woody in the game compared to the movie.

The character models, sure, but the textures and lighting are far worse. Look at the wood, floor, or the dull eyes in Woody in the game compared to the movie.

+The aliasing around the irises compared to the amazing lack of aliasing on the eyes in TS1. The first pic and final pic in OP are great comparison pics (similar angle of face/eyes).

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Lol at everyone screaming bullshots.

That's what PS4 Pro and X1X exist for. To make that CG IQ that separated games from movies for all this time a reality. Or at least close the gap.

Ratchet and Clank on Pro looks amazing as well.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Close, but not quite there yet. Maybe next gen.

Topic title should've been WE DO IT.

Ivan

We'll never catch offline rendering of course, but this is impressive.

And this is a perfect art style to show off, though.

Remember how many hours they needed to render this, and now we have it in realtime on mainstream machines.

Some segments are still far off, I know, but the overall look is really nice.

Now I want them to find a way to emulate hand drawn, Disney-esque 2D style in 3D with rich animation like we used to have.

Toy Story graphics - check!

Top Bottom