• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Republican bill would re-write civil rights laws to stop protecting trans people

To start tried to find a more mainstream source but the only folks taking notice are queer nees outlets and places like The Mary Sue.

This is some insidious shit they're trying to do while no one is paying attention

A Republican-backed bill would rewrite civil rights laws to specifically exclude transgender people.

A bill filed in the US House of Representatives this week would make sweeping changes to the civil rights laws that ban discrimination based on race, colour, religion, sex, or national origin.

The Civil Rights Act provisions on sex have been used in recent years to extend some protection to transgender people.
However, HR 2796, filed in the House by four Republicans, aims to put a stop to that.
Known as the ‘Civil Rights Uniformity Act of 2017’, the law “prohibits the word ‘sex’ or ‘gender’ from being interpreted to mean ‘gender identity’, and requires ‘man’ or ‘woman’ to be interpreted to refer exclusively to a person’s genetic sex.”

The proposal would alter a string of laws, including the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and the Fair Housing Act. It would also threaten non-discrimination provisions of Obamacare.
In a direct attack on transgender people, it also specifies that “no federal civil rights law shall be interpreted to treat gender identity or transgender status as a protected class, unless it expressly designates ‘gender identity’ or ‘transgender status’ as a protected class.”

“This bill preserves the power of Congress and restores the voice of the people to make sure that ‘gender identity’ is not conflated with biological sex without explicit approval by the people’s representatives in Congress.”

"The Founding Fathers never intended unelected bureaucrats in federal agencies to make sweeping changes to the definition of gender.
“While we have a new president in office, we must restore the voice of the people given to them by our Constitution and put an end to this dangerous precedent of removing Congress’ power to make laws.”

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2017/07/1...-rights-laws-to-stop-protecting-trans-people/

While looking for a mainstream source I stumbled on a small thread on this story on Trans-Exclusionary Radical Feminist reddit where they were all feeling dirty for supporting the GOP on this (while still unabashedly supporting the GOP on this)

Machina

Banned
Oh so NOW they're the people's Congress

tenor.gif

Thankfully this bill looks dead in the water (1 week+ with no new cosponsors).

The fact have the GOP would even consider screwing over my rights like this makes me said. It makes even sadder when I remember that there are transgender people who supports the GOP, even as the GOP seems deadset on taking away our rights as transgender people.

Greenymac

The fact have the GOP would even consider screwing over my rights like this makes me said. It makes even sadder when I remember that there are transgender people who supports the GOP, even as the GOP seems deadset on taking away our rights as transgender people.

This something I never understood. How do you align yourself with a party that wants to strip away your rights if possible just as a show to their hateful constituents...

Ithil

"The voice of the people". They're so full of shit with this marketing gimmick of being for "the people". Apparently those transgender Americans don't count as people is it?

Sou Da

This something I never understood. How do you align yourself with a party that wants to strip away your rights if possible just as a show to their hateful constituents...
Good 9 times out of 10 it's because they also hate a group you hate. I've seen a couple of transwomen passing around some /pol/ 'black crime statistics'

Because they hate other people more than they love themselves. It's the only explanation for being willing to fuck over yourself and others like you just to fuck over, even more, people who you hate

What's their reasoning? I don't know what angle that would make me support the GOP.

Hollycat

In other news, noted Republican Caitlyn Jenner is planning to run against Dianne Feinstein for her US Senate seat.
Oh god please no. Literally the noun form of oxymoron.

See if they really cared about trans people what they'd do instead is place a bill for designating gender identity as a protected class if theyre so stuck on semantics -_-

Mimosa97

Do you have a link for the thread on reddit please?

I hope people start to organize to fight this. This is just hate in its purest form. Only the worst people would make it a priority to attack the most maginalized community in their country. Scum of the earth.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
I hope the people saying this is dead in the water are right. I don't live in the US, I'm not transgender myself, and I don't even know any transgender people (to my knowledge anyway), but regardless of your thoughts on gender issues, trans people are people, same as everyone else.

I'll admit it's puzzling to me too, but maybe they lean to the right when it comes to economic policies, and they wish the GOP wouldn't conflate economic beliefs with obscurantist shit because there's really no reason why the two should be inseparable?

As I've said for years.

Rights were only guaranteed to straight white men, everyone else were added as an addendum that can be revoked and changed at any time.

This is also why the false equivalency "both sides" is such dangerous rhetoric that America moderates/centrists have let fester and grow. This is absolutely fucked up, anyone who isn't a straight, white, male should be appalled and scared.

Zolo

If I remember right, that one bill that would have stopped covering transgender operations to military members was killed, so I'd figure those same people who killed that would kill this as well.

Snaku

Banned
They lost the battle against gays, so they've shifted their attacks over to the trans community as they think they're not quite there with public acceptance.

rudger

I remember having this debate with some Republicans when Bush ran on a constitutional amendment to establish marriage as between a man and a women. The answer I got was, "that's pandering shit for the base that will never pass"...hard to argue when they were right, but I think that mentality has shown itself to be a liiiiiittle short-sighted.

Steel

Banned
Lovely.

"The voice of the people". They're so full of shit with this marketing gimmick of being for "the people". Apparently those transgender Americans don't count as people is it?

As shit as this whole thing is, and it's absolutely shit, I expect politicians to constantly say they're doing "the peoples" work even if they aren't. That's not the thing to hone in on here.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
They lost the battle against gays, so they've shifted their attacks over to the trans community as they think they're not quite there with public acceptance.

Basically. Gay people are no longer boogiemen they can easily scape goat with how main stream they now are.

jayu26

"Oh shite! We lost the right to be prejudice against Blacks people and other minorities, what should we do? Let's go after homosexuals."

"Oh shite! We lost that one too. Let's go after trans."

Do they have nothing better to do expect finding a group of of people to vilify? Did no one teach them live and let live?

Daedardus

No, they don't, that's the reason for this bill.

In their view at least, I think I'll never understand this crazy and hateful obsession to explicitly go after a minority group. They don't have much to gain for this except to fuel their own dangerous world view, do they?

But both sides are the same!!!!!!11111

I hope every radical trans activist remember this. Democrats are not exactly pure angels but they at least don't outright and actively try to dehumanize you. This goes out to the radical lefties too.

bionic77

As I've said for years.

Rights were only guaranteed to straight white men, everyone else were added as an addendum that can be revoked and changed at any time.

This is also why the false equivalency "both sides" is such dangerous rhetoric that America moderates/centrists have let fester and grow. This is absolutely fucked up, anyone who isn't a straight, white, male should be appalled and scared.
Trump won on the strength of straight white males so they don't seem to give a fuck about tolerance anymore.

They know they are bigots and are too afraid to come and say it so they hide behind religious freedom bullshit.

Laiza

Just yet another example of how Republicans are the purest form of evil in America.

Nothing to see here!

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Sorry that this is happening to your community again. At least from what I've read, this bill isn't going anywhere.

As I've said for years.

Straight, white males should be appalled too.

akira28

I feel like there would, and should be some natural allies out there who would say "hey, hands off the civil rights laws you complete enemies of civil rights."

I mean, its not a surprise that they would try...but so long as we can see them a mile away, we can do what we can to make sure they fail.

eventually America is going to burn through all their merits and things to be proud of, and all that will be left are the bodies and the souls of the people that are owed. that is, unless Americans change. And a lot actually are.

Faustek

I'm sorry. I'm truly sorry. I can only offer my sympathies and hope that the Democrats manages to do better in the next senate elections.

Top Bottom