• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Republican bill would re-write civil rights laws to stop protecting trans people

"The Founding Fathers never intended unelected bureaucrats in federal agencies to make sweeping changes to the definition of gender.

the founding fathers also never intended for civil rights law to begin with. Why are we using them as a basis. Ask people like MLK Jr and John Lewis. They're the founding fathers of civil rights law. And one of them works with you!

Beartruck

Thankfully this bill looks dead in the water (1 week+ with no new cosponsors).

The fact have the GOP would even consider screwing over my rights like this makes me said. It makes even sadder when I remember that there are transgender people who supports the GOP, even as the GOP seems deadset on taking away our rights as transgender people.

Even if it got to the senate it'd be filibustered. Every now and then a republican congressman gets ants and his brain and tries to pass a law like this, and it always goes nowhere.

g11

”This bill preserves the power of Congress and restores the voice of the people to make sure that ‘gender identity' is not conflated with biological sex without explicit approval by the people's representatives in Congress."

How does denying trans people the same civil rights protections as anybody else accomplish that? What utter nonsense. Also, last I checked, trans people were still people, so you're restoring the voice of "the people" by making it open season on the civil rights of a small group of people? That's illogical to say the least.

Top Bottom