• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nier Automata tops 500,000 sold on Steam

Ridley327

I can't imagine there being a more impressive sales story this year. This title took off in a way no one saw coming.

sWUvDTU.gif

This man deserves it.

Kickz

Going to be hard for alot of games to go without PC release with these kind of numbers.

Bye Console exclusives

Santiako

Such an amazing game, well deserved. Now remaster Nier so people that haven't played it can experience it.

Praise 2Booty.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
it still runs like shit from what I hear

I'll probably buy it once it's patched

There's no patch in development. It's been a little under three months since the last time a dev/QA build was uploaded to Steam, and the associated update -- the only one thus far -- was just DLC prep. You can use FAR to reduce the quality of the global illumination system and get a nice performance boost, however.

taybul

Not enough copies to earn a patch though.

When it came down to getting this on PS4 or PC I opted for PC because of the steam sale. I really wish I did my research prior. Have they ever patched the aspect ratio issue? I'm guessing this is what you guys are referring to. No AAA developer should omit such a glaring issue in their titles. I spent the better part of an hour just trying to get the mod working that fixes this but ran into more issues fucking installing VC++ libraries. Gave up and resorted to running in Windowed mode. What the fuck.

When it came down to getting this on PS4 or PC I opted for PC because of the steam sale. I really wish I did my research prior. Have they ever patched the aspect ratio issue? I'm guessing this is what you guys are referring to. No AAA developer should omit such a glaring issue in their titles. I spent the better part of an hour just trying to get the mod working that fixes this but ran into more issues fucking installing VC++ libraries. Gave up and resorted to running in Windowed mode. What the fuck.

In my case, FAR resolved must of my issues and played the game to completion.

CHC

There's no patch in development. It's been just under three months since the last time a dev/QA build was uploaded to Steam. You can use FAR to reduce the quality of the global illumination, though, and get a nice performance boost.

It really is pathetic. I mean I know there is a mod and that's fine and good but for a game that launched simultaneously and full price on PC it's inexcusable. I can't get too mad about something like Dark Souls, which is in a similar state, because it was never planned for PC, but it's very disappointing that Nier is such a low priority for them. Especially with figures like these!

I mean even one or two patches that ATTEMPT to fix some stuff is enough to earn my goodwill. But they ain't even trying...

Joey Ravn

Banned
I'm really happy for Taro and the game, because it's absolutely amazing (so far, my GOTY, at least until I play Zelda!), but the PC port is bad. And there're no signs of it getting fixed. A shame, really.

Draft

Not deserved.

The PC port is garbage.
??

Seen this a few places and it does not jibe with my experience. Have played through ending A and B. No hard crashes, runs at 60 hertz at 1440p, looks good, no bugs that interfered with quests, controller works, it's fine. What's the problem?

KorrZ

I picked it up during the summer sale.

I've only put ~2 hours into it so far but liked what I played. Eager to jump in and play more. Only thing that puts me off slightly is the idea of having to play multiple times to get the full story.

It's fucking absurd that their only "response" to Eurogamer was pretty much "The problems that Nier Automate have are the GPU manufacturers' fault, we can't do anything by ourselves. Go bug AMD and Nvidia."

And unfortunately they seem pretty content without patching the game. And so far it seems SE is not going to be changing their PC strategy soon with their Japanese titles.

Joey Ravn

Banned
??

Seen this a few places and it does not jibe with my experience. Have played through ending A and B. No hard crashes, runs at 60 hertz at 1440p, looks good, no bugs that interfered with quests, controller works, it's fine. What's the problem?

How's is it running at fullscreen, full resolution, without a mod or external program, for starters.

Then http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-whats-up-with-nier-automata-on-pc

Crash, PUBG.

It's far easier to explain those two games. Crash had both massive nostalgia and a big marketing campaign behind it. PUBG is one of those games that took off thanks to popular streamers and ease of accessibility, much like Minecraft back in the day. Nier: Automata is a very niche title, sequel to a game that wasn't on PC, with barely any marketing to support it.

If you ask me, it's a much more impressive success than both those games.
And a much better game too.

Top Bottom