• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nier Automata tops 500,000 sold on Steam

??

Seen this a few places and it does not jibe with my experience. Have played through ending A and B. No hard crashes, runs at 60 hertz at 1440p, looks good, no bugs that interfered with quests, controller works, it's fine. What's the problem?

I was getting roughly 30fps@1080p/45fps@720p and a crash every session (usually played for 4-6 hours at a time) as well as occasional controller bugs (typically my pod would fire non-stop). Haven't heard about any broken quests though.

Still ended up finishing all the major endings.

Edit: Then again I was playing in windowed mode.

Crazy good for a niche Japanese title. Should be an indicator for SE to release other things on the platform.

Naaaaah releasing their biggest franchise on a timely manner on PC isn't worth it at all. Let's wait a few years.

Seriously it's like every day it makes less and less sense that we are still waiting on Japanese devs to embrace Pc completely. Especially SE.

Instro

Great numbers, but I'm sure they could have been better if they had patched some of the issues with the release. I'll snag it at some point this year.

Z3M0G

One of the most important video games of our time. Deserves every sale.

(Makes me feel bad that I borrowed it instead of buying it... but I will buy it when I'm ready for a replay.)

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
??

Seen this a few places and it does not jibe with my experience. Have played through ending A and B. No hard crashes, runs at 60 hertz at 1440p, looks good, no bugs that interfered with quests, controller works, it's fine. What's the problem?

For me it crashes all the time, i tried everything but it doesn't fix it. I beat a boss then afterwards the game crashed.. it surely auto saved right? no it didn't, had to do everyhing again.... about 20 minutes later the same shit.

I haven't touched the game since then and looks like they won't release a patch and fix their shit so that means this is it for me, i'm done with the game and regret wasting money on it. I will maybe get the game on PS4 when it's dirt cheap since i want to play it but fuck SE and their half-assed PC port for this game, even months after release there is not a single beep about fixing it.

Draft

How's is it running at fullscreen, full resolution, without a mod or external program, for starters.

Then http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-whats-up-with-nier-automata-on-pc

It's far easier to explain those two games. Crash had both massive nostalgia and a big marketing campaign behind it. PUBG is one of those games that took off thanks to popular streamers and ease of accessibility, much like Minecraft back in the day. Nier: Automata is a very niche title, sequel to a game that wasn't on PC, with barely any marketing to support it.

If you ask me, it's a much more impressive success than both those games.
And a much better game too.
I played without FAR though A & B (I couldn't get it to work...)

i5/GTX1070. It ran great, but the cutscenes were 30 fps with kind of a weird transition. I'm first in line when it's time to piss on a game for running bad, but Nier never gave me any significant problems.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
If it wasn't such a mess and got patched then I'd have bought it on Steam. I don't care how good your game is I'm not spending time making it work/run because that's the developers job not mine. Plus, out of principle I'm not supporting something if the people selling it aren't willing to support it either.

Usobuko

Banned
Has this reached 2 millions sales wordwide yet?

It's rather impressive for NieR to have such legs. The Japanese media-create chart also shows it doing well in home ground without much price drop too.

Mivey

And still no patch. FFS Square Enix
They had a few "mini-patches" so far. Square Enix is practising a form of support homeopathy. By diluting the game support (or as practitioners would say potentiating it) to almost zero, they are actually activating the game communities internal powers to fix itself.

This has been greatly showcased by Bethesda. Sure, they support the games for a year or two, but they are so extremely broken that even after their official support they are not playable without encountering game breaking glitches. But by starving out the game support at a critical time, they are helping the community to help themselves.
It's truly admirable .

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
They had a few "mini-patches" so far. Square Enix is practising a form of support homeopathy. By diluting the game support (or as practitioners would say potentiating it) to almost zero, they are actually activating the game communities internal powers to fix itself.

This has been greatly showcased by Bethesda. Sure, they support the games for a year or two, but they are so extremely broken that even after their official support they are not playable without encountering game breaking glitches. But by starving out the game support at a critical time, they are helping the community to help themselves.
It's truly admirable .

There have been two "patches". The first was an actual patch, but it was just DLC prep and didn't change or update anything. The second "patch" was merely the DLC depot being rolled into the public branch so people would be able to download the content upon purchase.

Joey Ravn

Banned
I played without FAR though A & B (I couldn't get it to work...)

i5/GTX1070. It ran great, but the cutscenes were 30 fps with kind of a weird transition. I'm first in line when it's time to piss on a game for running bad, but Nier never gave me any significant problems.

It may not have bothered you, but it's an undeniable fact that the fullscreen issue 1. is an issue that actually exists and 2. it's an issue that needs to be officially fixed. FAR is OK, but it's still a third-party mod that solves a problem that should be addressed by Square-Enix/Platinum.

As for performance and such, YMMV. There's a wide sample of people who have been experiencing performance issues, ranging from low framerates and stuttering to crashes, so it's not something that can be swept under the rug, much like SE has been doing so far.

Metal Gear Rising

As pointed out earlier, MGR has sold around 650k copies in its lifetime on PC. It's not hard to see Nier: Automata surpassing that mark in the next few months, if sales continue steadily.

SoundLad

Congratulations to them. I haven't had the pleasure of trying Nier out just yet though - waiting on a price drop.

From the sound of things in this thread (crashing, low fps, etc.), I should probably go with the PS4 Pro version instead of PC when I get the chance?

Crazy good for a niche Japanese title. Should be an indicator for SE to release other things on the platform.

Naaaaah releasing their biggest franchise on a timely manner on PC isn't worth it at all. Let's wait a few years.

Seriously it's like every day it makes less and less sense that we are still waiting on Japanese devs to embrace Pc completely. Especially SE.

I think it's more they're doing GTSV release schedule for all of their releases and that shouldn't be done. Because the GTAV release was unique and even then it's sour'd now since the mod debacle

LotusHD

Banned
Congratulations to them. I haven't had the pleasure of trying Nier out just yet though - waiting on a price drop.

From the sound of things in this thread (crashing, low fps, etc.), I should probably go with the PS4 Pro version instead of PC when I get the chance?

I keep hearing that using the community patches that are out can make it ultimately better, but hey, played it on OG PS4 with very little issues myself.

What's your GPU ?

UrbanRats

I keep hearing that using the community patches that are out can make it ultimately better, but hey, played it on OG PS4 with very little issues myself.

Yes, FAR solves most of the problems but:

1. My game crashes with it, for example, YMMV, but it's not a sure fire solution.

2. Community modding is never a good excuse for a broken port.

I wonder what they're gonna price it at? 60 with all the DLC but too late for a lot of people to care is my guess.

I think 60 dollars with all the DLC and online modes. But it's too late. Game is tainted and will be lucky to sell 500-600k in the long run at this price.

Although one game that has a good shot is Kingdom Hearts 3. This could sell a lot more than NieR Automata.

LotusHD

Banned
Yes, FAR solves most of the problems but:

1. My game crashes with it, for example, YMMV, but it's not a sure fire solution.

2. Community modding is never a good excuse for a broken port.

I didn't say it was, but he's obviously aware of the issues, so I'm just telling him what I usually hear when people ask "PS4 or PC"?

Specs

i7 3770 @ 3.4
GTX 1070
16Gb RAM
SSD

You can safely go for the PC version then.

It's a bad port so no. There's no excuse for at least an attempt at patching up a game released the way this one was, but they've shown no interest thus far.

I expect it to be patched. But Square Enix just isnt in a hurry regarding AA titles. World of FF, KH HD, Final Fantasy X HD on PS4 all suffered game breaking stuff like borked graphics, crashes and even broken RNG for FFX HD, these remained unfixed for more than 4 months.

HeavenlyE

I'm using FAR and I've only crashed once with pretty stable fps so far in my 20+ hours of playing, no idea how bad the base game is though.

Anyway it seems like former niche Japanese titles are really starting to hit their stride sales wise

Ascheroth

Yoko Taro deserves this. Square Enix clearly doesn't.
Basically.
20170217_060309_thumb.png

There are a few cards that straight up don't work with the game (crashes). There are some configurations that don't have problems at all. In all cases you either need to use FAR or Borderless Gaming to get higher resolutions than 720p.

It shipped 1.5 Million units at the end of may, roughly 300k of which were for PC at that time.

So id' wager it did a 1.5 million on console by now, but that's just guessing.

300k for PC were sold, not shipped.
The distinction is important here if you base your numbers with the steamspy ones.

Top Bottom