• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nier Automata tops 500,000 sold on Steam

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Happy for YT, and i bet this is Platinum's highest selling title across both console and PC too

Nyoro SF

THIS CAN CONTINUE

But seriously, the fact that it's sold this much and Square hasn't financed a single patch, is just awful. I shouldn't have to rely on injectors to solve basic graphic and screen setting issues.

Mifec

I think 60 dollars with all the DLC and online modes. But it's too late. Game is tainted and will be lucky to sell 500-600k in the long run at this price.

Although one game that has a good shot is Kingdom Hearts 3. This could sell a lot more than NieR Automata.

My feelings exactly. It's gonna sell in sales but at that price no way.

Also I doubt we'll ever see KH on PC, which is sad. UE4 would make it shine even more.

My feelings exactly. It's gonna sell in sales but at that price no way.

Also I doubt we'll ever see KH on PC, which is sad. UE4 would make it shine even more.
I don't see why KH3 couldn't happen on PC eventually. They have finally gotten away from their no digital past this year and I doubt they would have any such problems with KH3.

It's the first game on Xbox, might as well add PC.

jacobeid

Banned
Not really, no.

I do feel bad for Platinum though, their other ports are good, so they probably would be willing to fix this too.

I was referring to the game itself and not the state of the port, which should have been fixed already but at least we have FAR to fix it.

This is well-deserved for Taro. You're free to disagree but I think the game deserves the sales.

True Fire

I mean, Square Enix doesn't support their mobile titles either. Final Fantasy II doesn't even work, and they've still been selling it.

Blame the company, not Yoko Taro. He's been persevering for 14 years. He deserves this.

big fake

So glad for this niche game to get the recognition it did. Truly one of a kind game, a classic already.

Glory to mankind!

RK9039

When it came down to getting this on PS4 or PC I opted for PC l
because of the steam sale. I really wish I did my research prior. Have they ever patched the aspect ratio issue? I'm guessing this is what you guys are referring to. No AAA developer should omit such a glaring issue in their titles. I spent the better part of an hour just trying to get the mod working that fixes this but ran into more issues fucking installing VC++ libraries. Gave up and resorted to running in Windowed mode. What the fuck.

Fuck that,sounds horrible. I'm glad I waited for PC feedback.

Reveirg

Yoko Taro deserves this. Square Enix clearly doesn't.

S-E went against most common business sense by greenlighting this (per Yoko Taro's own words) and have always backed Taro despite his games' poor reception and low sales in the pasr. S-E definitely deserves this.

roytheone

Have just started playing it, and I am having fun but man this game is a technical dumpster fire on pc. Even using the FAR mod (that does fix a lot of the issues) it still runs pretty badly for how mediocre it looks.

Golnei

Nah, i am just asking to compare... I fail to see why 500K is a success in a platform with a massive install base. For a Indie, 500K is really good, but for a Platinum game....

Platinum games aren't known to sell well at all. Yoko Taro games were notorious for performing even worse - in addition, this is the first related title to have been released on the platform, and most marketing was centred around the PS4 to the point of people wondering if the PC version had been cancelled even weeks from release.

Which is why selling 500K on PC (at full or near-full price, as well) is noteworthy - it's a modest success, but still above expectations.

Hektor

Nah, i am just asking to compare... I fail to see why 500K is a success a platform with a massive install base. For a Indie, 500K is really good, but for a Platinum game....

...You dont realize most platinum games sell like absolute shit?

And this being a sequel to an unknown console exclusive nichegame that sold even more like shit by a creator whose games all sold like the biggest shit and that wasn't at any point advertised for PC makes these sales very good.

300k for PC were sold, not shipped.
The distinction is important here if you base your numbers with the steamspy ones.

Yea, i forgot about that

Nah, i am just asking to compare... I fail to see why 500K is a success in a platform with a massive install base. For a Indie, 500K is really good, but for a Platinum game....

I don't see the big significance that the install base, high or low, could have on the profit that a publisher makes in the end. Steam could have twice as many users, yet that wouldn't suddenly devalue the profit for this niche game that far surpassed SE's expectations. Same goes the other way round. If for some reason SE had decided to release this game only on WiiU or something, the excuse of a minimal install base wouldn't have made the higher ups any happier about flushing money down the drain.

MUnited83

For you.

Have you never looked at the actual sales of Platinum games before? They sell like shit most of the time. 500k is great.

Such a horrible port getting these sells is completely undeserved.
100% agreed. Game crashed after first boss on rx 480 twice.Looked it up and its a known issue. Have a 1080 now and does the same fucking and last I looked a patch
was supposed to be coming from Nvidia but I don't give a shit anymore.

Instro

Well the first game likely sold less than 500k LTD. Comparitivley this game has managed that number on PC alone in a couple months on the market, let alone the overall numbers being in the neighborhood of 2 million. I'm not sure why you are confused.

Arulan

I came away completely enamored with it.

A thanks to Kaldaien too. With the FAR mod, I didn't have a single issue on my system.

The very first thing I did after finishing the game was buying this:

img_20170715_1536507tyft.jpg

Corpekata

Banned
Steam has a large "install base" but to compare it to normal install bases is just kind of silly as those all have uniform hardware, while your aunt's 200 dollar walmart laptop can count toward Steam's install base, but isn't gonna be playing anything 3d on it.

The actual customer base for mid budget to AAA 3d games is not huge, and a poor port like Nier also raises the hardware floor. And of course, y'know, it's a fucking Nier game lol. That game selling 500k on ANY platform is a success.

Gbraga

I came away completely enamored with it.

A thanks to Kaldaien too. With the FAR mod, I didn't have a single issue on my system.

The very first thing I did after finishing the game was buying this:

Are you playing it already or saving it for later? Always interested in seeing how people who started with Automata feel about the first.

Top Bottom