• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS is about to outsell SFV. Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Listen up, ladies. I've got some receipts for all you folks out there who believe that Capcom needs to stop catering to the casuals, and to all you Nintendo Nonbelievers™.

4293a5644b008633f33717a26aea0a0f.jpg

SFV
Launch: February 2016
Platforms: PS4, PC
Sales: 1.7 million

ARMS
Launch: June 2017
Platforms: Switch
Sales: 1.18 million

Now why is it that the FGC reckons the dawn of eSports and the death of the casual fighting game fan is here, yet ARMS will outsell the latest entry in the most iconic fighting game franchise of all time in just a matter of weeks?

tenor.gif

LordKasual

Banned
Now why is it that the FGC reckons the dawn of eSports and the death of the casual fighting game fan is here, yet ARMS will outsell the latest entry in the most iconic fight game franchise in all time in just a matter of weeks?

ITT: Casual games outsell Hardcore ones

who knew

You're never gonna see anyone make a thread about how hard it is to learn how to play ARMS.

Edit:

Also, the FGC never said anything about the "death of casual fighting games", that is idiotic. Especially seeing as literally every competitive fighting game out right now is EASIER than its previous iteration to pick up and play.

You're kinda just saying things, OP.

this is a Nintendo Fanboy thread that is not in disguise

Nintendo.

A little less provocative version:

ARMS is a new game on a brand new and popular console that doesn't have a large library of the game or busy schedule of releases yet.

Do we really need to explain this?

Moofers

SFV is on a platform with plenty of competition inside its genre.

SFV has a lot of problems.

ARMS is the only "fighting game" on the Switch.

Switch owners are buying anything packaged in a Switch-branded box right now.

There you go, OP. I've solved the great mystery.

Gestault

I've been aware of the sales figures coming out for both games, but *wow*, I hadn't made the connection of their overall standings.

TrojanAg

Nintendo.

ARMS is a new game on a brand new and popular console that doesn't have a large library of the game or busy schedule of releases yet.

It's still pretty embarrassing. SF has been around for 30 years.

Probably because ARMS has an arcade mode.

Ok, that's not really the reason (well, not entirely), but still....SFV doesn't have an arcade mode.

Bridges

Street Fighter V is still trying to recover from awful word of mouth while ARMS had a very effective marketing campaign and, also unlike Street Fighter, didn't disappoint during its pre-release stress tests.

There could be some debate as to why ARMS is doing so well but I think there are a lot of obvious factors that caused SFV to do so poorly.

Platy

To be fair Capcom does win lots of money on tourney pernetship and sponsors.

That being said, because if capcom was smart they would do the opposite and would be trying to do their version of smash that MAYBE bring the pros instead of ding something to the pros that MAYBE bring the rest of the world

Shin

Banned
SFV still looks more fun/interesting, could be that Switch is new and lacking games that everything is selling well?

arms.. is a new fad, lot of people trying it..
on switch what other games you have for the beat 'em up genre? sf2?
barney-stinson-challenge-what-do-i-do-please.jpg

on pc//ps4 sfv has competition..
there are people that prefer super hero beu and buy infamous.. the tekken afecionados.. the mk crew.. the arcsys fellowship..
on switch either you buy arms, or you don't play beat 'em up..

SFV is on a platform with plenty of competition inside its genre.

SFV has a lot of problems.

ARMS is the only "fighting game" on the Switch.

Switch owners are buying anything packaged in a Switch-branded box right now.

There you go, OP. I've solved the great mystery.

I guess we are not counting the numerous SNK Fighters on the Switch?

This OP does not seem offered in good faith and I'm very skeptical that productive conversation will come from it. I'll just warn right now that this thread is probably going to be locked very soon. But I'm willing to allow for the possibility of some spirited debate.

Gestault

I guess we are not counting the numerous SNK Fighters on the Switch?

Or Ultra Street Fighter 2

This OP does not seem offered in good faith and I'm very skeptical that productive conversation will come from it. I'll just warn right now that this thread is probably going to be locked very soon. But I'm willing to allow for the possibility of some spirited debate.

It was the gif, wasn't it?

Sephzilla

It's got over half a million sales to go yet. Splatoon 2 just came out and that will almost certainly eat into ARMS sales a bit for the Nintendo crowd. And didn't SFV in its first month outsell ARMS in it's first month?

Ya jumpin the gun, OP

Peltz

I haven't played SFV, so I'm not commenting on that.

But ARMS is 100% a legitimately fun game. It's fresh and genuinely new and deserves its sales. I absolutely love the gameplay and find it to be very deep.

One appeals to the casual audience more. That's pretty much it.

(Someone will come along and say it's because Switch owners are/were starved for games though, which seems to be the argument for every Switch game that sells well. Of which there are many.

Which makes no sense of course.

Edit: I see I'm late)

Vyrance

I assume it's because SFV had a bad launch and that stigma carries to this day, while Arms had a great launch and marketing and is on a new system that doesn't have many games yet

leroidys

I don't see why we're comparing a 3D, motion controlled arena party fighter to a classic 2d fighter.

Why did smash 4 outsell SFIV op? Much more valid comparison.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Nintendo.

Careful, I often get shouted down for this opinion when folks interpret it as me saying "SWITCH HAS NO GAEMZ"

Platy

Any overuse of those damn pop gaf gifs, there will be hell to pay.

Which reminds me ... "because ARMS intro song is MUCH BETTER than SF5's" is also a good answer.

SF4 had indestructible and sold pretty well
Also indestructible is stuck in your head in repeat.
you are welcome

Shadoken

Ah yes the weekly lets Shit on SFV thread.

Some of you really have some deep rooted hatred or something.

Why did smash 4 outsell SFIV op? Much more valid comparison.

Clearly SFIV is a horrible game and Brawl is the best game ever made.

Now why is it that the FGC reckons the dawn of eSports and the death of the casual fighting game fan is here, yet ARMS will outsell the latest entry in the most iconic fighting game franchise of all time in just a matter of weeks?

tenor.gif

Who in the FGC honestly believes this?. MK X sold 5m , yet doesnt have tourney numbers anywhere close to its competition. It clearly sold a lot more to casuals than FGC people.

Now is there more money in eSports? Thats a different question and would need different data. But in terms of raw sales casuals are always gonna be higher.

Even major eSports titles like Dota and League rely wayyy more on casuals playing their game than competitive gamers. Heck only a small percent of Dota 2 userbase even plays Ranked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom