• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CBC: "Allowing GMO'd potatoes in P.E.I. called 'foolhardy' by Council of Canadians"

From CBC

leo-broderick.jpg

Leo Broderick has concerns about the technology used to create the potatoes. (Council of Canadians)

The Council of Canadians is pressing the provincial government to keep genetically modified potatoes out of P.E.I. soil.

Council chair Leo Broderick questions the science behind Innate generation 2 potatoes, and added P.E.I. would be better off staying away from the controversy surrounding genetically modified food. He noted P.E.I. is already attracting attention as a producer of genetically modified salmon.

"It would be foolhardy for the province to allow genetically engineered potatoes to be grown in the province," said Broderick.

"If we add genetically engineered potatoes we will have a very poor image and that's not the kind of image that we want for the province."

Genetically modify me if old

KHarvey16

Yeah just use old fashioned potatoes that were definitely not genetically engineered by humans for hundreds of years.

Sean C

Leo Broderick is pretty much a joke on the Island, speaking as a resident. He complains about pretty much everything.

Yeah just use old fashioned potatoes that were definitely not genetically engineered by humans for hundreds of years.

It's sad that people don't realize we've been doing this for literally millennia. We're fucking good at it.

Just moving from the sword to the scalpal here.

rrs

what's next, banning gluten because the very real gluten witches will get you and turn you into a newt for having a crumb of gluten in you?

It's foolhardy to not make use of all the technology we have available to increase the output of our crops. Doing otherwise is throwing away valuable resources and contributing to more pollution.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
Just wait until he finds out about genetically modified Anne of Green Gables.

I've never even heard of the Council of Canadians before, are they some sort of think tank?

They're a non-profit org.

Founded in 1985, the Council of Canadians is Canada’s leading social action organization, mobilizing a network of 60 chapters across the country.

Through our campaigns we advocate for clean water, fair trade, green energy, public health care, and a vibrant democracy. We educate and empower people to hold our governments and corporations accountable.

Join us and be part of a global movement working for social and environmental justice. We believe a better Canada and a fairer world are possible. Together, we turn that belief into action.

The Council of Canadians is a registered non-profit organization and does not accept money from corporations or governments. Our work is sustained by the volunteer energy and generous donations of people like you.

SRG01

It's sad that people don't realize we've been doing this for literally millennia. We're fucking good at it.

Just moving from the sword to the scalpal here.

I'm also sure that 'real' potatoes were extremely poisonous, since they're part of the nightshade family...

Top Bottom