• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM for Nintendo Switch, First Direct-Feed Screenshots

Cerium

https://www.vg247.com/2017/09/21/he...om-for-switch-plus-some-hands-on-impressions/

At a Bethesda event last week I got to go hands-on with DOOM on the Switch for a little bit. Here's some caveats to all that – it was only running in handheld mode, and we weren't allowed or able to capture any of our own footage. However, here's some screenshots straight from Bethesda for you to sink your teeth into to start with...
NjoLXyG.jpg

HZoFx42.jpg

Q9qf65Y.jpg

Off-Screen Footage Available Here

nikatapi

At first i'm thinking it looks kinda blurry.
Then i'm thinking i'm going to play this on a portable. Mindblowing.

That first screen shot blows my mind that it's on Switch.

They're clearly using pretty decent AA if it looks like that at 720P.

I have this on PC but haven't played it much, but this looks really good. If the performance holds up I may have to jump in, although it'll no doubt be full price which is a bit of a turn off.

Unless docked mode is rendering in 540p these screenshots are most probably from handheld mode, as those screens are not rendered at 720p for sure. Thankfully this game has amazing anti-aliasing, so I take that slight blurriness over performance issues any day.
Also these screenshots suffer from quite horrible JPEG compression.

Is the first one from a cut scene? Looks remarkably better than the other 2 screenshots.

Nah, it's ingame, but that area just generally looks absolutely insane on PC to begin with.

The downgrades are absolutely custom. There is no way to get the PC version to look like that through normal sliders and options. I still can't believe the game even runs on Switch.
So looking forward to it. Hopefully the devs can give us gyro aiming post launch.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Looks very, very good.

Bluth54

If these are from handheld mode, it looks great!

If Docked mode, then not so great.

I imagine Doom for Switch isn't going to look very good on a TV in docked mode since they're probably going to have to keep the texture quality/resolution pretty low fit on a 16 GB Switch game card. It will look much better on the smaller handheld screen.

Tyaren

I still can't believe the game even runs on Switch.

I don't really get why people keep on saying this. Half the framerate, significantly lower resolution and significantly lowered graphical settings, why shouldn't this run on Switch? Digital Foundry even simulated the Switch's capabilities with a PC and they got to run the game as well without any big problems.

How can anyone say this is ugly ? I dont underansigt that.
What is Missing that make ppl say wooow ?

If you've played it on PC it's a really stark difference, BUT considering that this version runs on a tablet that uses less than 10% of energy than the Graphics Card in my PC, it just blows my mind that it's possible at all.
The game looks amazing in this version considering the hardware it runs on.

I don't really get why people keep on saying this. The downgrades are pretty severe. Half the framerate, significantly lower resolution and signifantly lowered graphical settings. Why shouldn't this run on Switch? Digital Foundry even simulated the Switch's capabilities with a PC and they got to run the game as well without any big problems.

That experiment was a load of tosh, given the power envelope they were using was much higher than what the switch has in portable mode. It was nothing more than an approximation and really only served to give ammo to people that think porting this to Switch is as easy as pulling some sliders in the option menus.

Porcile

I don't really get why people keep on saying this. Half the framerate, significantly lower resolution and significantly lowered graphical settings, why shouldn't this run on Switch? Digital Foundry even simulated the Switch's capabilities with a PC and they got to run the game as well without any big problems.

Cause that's a PC and Switch is a portable. Expectations. Is it hard to understand? lol

big_z

might want to rewatch that video and listen closer.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Yeah, this isn't gonna look great blown up on a large 4K TV. But in handheld mode it should look very nice.

Alienous

Yeah, I think this is more a case of DOOM being an impressive ~1080p/60fps console title than this being a spectacular port.

For instance NBA 2K18, a 1080p/60fps console title, runs on the Switch by making similar compromises.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
This is the game which made people who thought Switch can only handle last gen console port, look stupid

Cerium

Digital Foundry even simulated the Switch's capabilities with a PC and they got to run the game as well without any big problems.
That's a bit of a stretch; it "ran" but nothing like this and with frequent frame drops.

There are however people who to this day believe that the Switch cannot run GTA 5.

DavidDesu

Really impressive feat. Can't wait to see the lifespan of the Switch and where it's heading next.

Yeah, plus it feels like there’s no reason a future revision can’t keep up with what the other consoles are doing, just on a smaller slightly pared back scale (but not so pared back as to be totally different experiences). I really hope Nintendo do update the Switch down the line using the more up to date Nvidia tech and keep backwards compatibility. The Switch should be here to stay, it’s a great concept that straddles a perfect line between console level gaming and portability.

A lot of scope for the Switch and future Switch consoles to be a great option. I’m personally surprised at games like LA Noire and Skyrim coming to the system. Even if they’re last gen games they’re full fat AAA titles we're getting in portable form. It’s the promise of the Vita fulfilled.

(Just wish they’d update to allow Bluetooth audio, surely that’s possible.)

Top Bottom