• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM for Nintendo Switch, First Direct-Feed Screenshots

CookTrain

I don't really get why people keep on saying this. Half the framerate, significantly lower resolution and significantly lowered graphical settings, why shouldn't this run on Switch? Digital Foundry even simulated the Switch's capabilities with a PC and they got to run the game as well without any big problems.

Beyond that, the hardware of the Shield Tablet, coupled with the overall technological advancement of mobile gaming, also dampen the "wow" factor here.

The switch benefits from being approached as a single platform, and optimization goes a long way. It's exciting all the same.

Cerium

That holds about as much water as the DS being the "third pillar" of Nintendo consoles. Unrelated entirely to the lack of any further Game Boy products. Whether it is or it isn't the portable future, Nintendo are not going to say they're done with the 3DS.
Nah we don't need semantics.

Nintendo Switch has a maximum power draw of 8.9 Watts.

Xbox One S has a power draw of 50 Watts, which is already half of what the original Xbox One demanded.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Beyond that, the hardware of the Shield Tablet, coupled with the overall technological advancement of mobile gaming, also dampen the "wow" factor here.

The switch benefits from being approached as a single platform, and optimization goes a long way. It's exciting all the same.

There's no TX1 Shield Tablet.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nintendo/comments/58n70h/nintendo_switch_is_a_successor_to_the_wii_u_not/

It's an home console with portable capabilities, stop with the portable excuse.

Is this low key sarcasm? It's literally built with mobile components and is handheld and all games run as handheld. Ignoring any marketing speak, what world are we considering this not portable.

From my point of view, this looks pretty good - hoping for a demo though.

Tho the Pixel tablet does use the X1, albiet without using Nvidia drivers, nor is it exactly a good size for handheld gaming

Cerium

No it isn’t until they stop mandating that games have to run in portable mode.

This is such a stupid discussion, if it has to run at portable speeds (which all games currently do) then it’s a portable. 🙄

Or hell fucking look at it.

3199076-img_8820.jpg

CookTrain

Astonishing power when you can almost put one in the disc drive of the others.

I don't get why they never remove the joy-cons to get the point across even more strongly. It's still the same processing capabilities without them, obviously, and almost half the size.

Why not get silly with it and proper the other consoles up on their pads? :D

Zedark

3199076-img_8820.jpg

I don't get why they never remove the joy-cons to get the point across even more strongly. It's still the same processing capabilities without them, obviously, and almost half the size (edit: or maybe 2/3 the size, still a marked difference).

Why not get silly with it and proper the other consoles up on their pads? :D
Or do that lol

The lengths people go to, to downplay this port is amazing.

Buh buh. DF built a similar PC (nevermind the fact that they themselves said it's a mere approximation), Buh buh, it's not a portable, (despite the fact that you can use it like a portable)

This port is an impressive feat, not just for the hardware, but the company porting it as well.

Zedark

Buh buh. DF built a similar PC (nevermind the fact that they themselves said it's a mere approximation), Buh buh, it's not a portable, (despite the fact that you can use it like a portable)

This port is an impressive feat, not just for the hardware, but the company porting it as well.

And DF even said they expect their Switch PC approximation to get owned by the actual system.

Verder

This.

Like I'm really hoping this sells well cause I would love to see evil within 2 on switch

Totally possible since same engine ???

BETH could make it happppppppen

True, but it gave us a preview, with various games across multiple genres showing us the type of fidelity / performance never before seen in the handheld space, even when they were built for the mobile space in general and not specifically the Shield. You also had ports done specifically for the shield, which were impressive as well.

The X1 was only going to improve on that, but it's understandable that the general audience missed those tech jumps, since they happened on niche hardware.

Mr Swine

Banned
https://www.reddit.com/r/nintendo/comments/58n70h/nintendo_switch_is_a_successor_to_the_wii_u_not/

It's an home console with portable capabilities, stop with the portable excuse.

No, it’s a portable with console capabilities since it has a docking station, not the other way around.

Either way this is so freaking incredible. Yes it may be on he lower side of resolution but I really hope that a future revision of switch with better specs can run this at 720p in handheld mode and 900p in docked mode.

Ryuuga

Banned
Same could be said for the drive by troll posts.
Never change.

Nothing trollish about any of the reactions here. It looks like it does to suit the limitations of the platform. That goes for ALL platforms. It's just the wording you didn't like.

ksamedi

Looking great. Cant wait to play this. The release is pretty soon as well. Skyrim, Doom and Xenoblade combo for me in november december.

Let's have a measured response we can all agree with:

- Amazing it is running on portable hardware of the size dimensions the Switch is.
- Image quality is clearly a compromise to get it to run with lots of processing effects intact.
- Pixel count will be interesting. Sub 720P Isn't necessarily a disaster - see Snake Pass for a decent sub 720p image.
- Kudos to ID for not releasing bullshots and showing it how it is.
- People will buy this for portable.
- People buying to play docked will be disappointed in IQ and should get PS4 or PC version instead.

Mark1

Damn. Think I will pick this up. May look better elsewhere but for a portable this is insane. Xenoblade and Doom double purchase this December.

royox

There are however people who to this day believe that the Switch cannot run GTA 5.

Well...the thing struggles a lot to run Breath of the Wild and there's like nothing happening on screen during most part of the game besides Link running. Still my GOAT tho.

Zedark

Let's have a measured response we can all agree with:

- Amazing it is running on portable hardware of the size dimensions the Switch is.
- Image quality is clearly a compromise to get it to run with lots of processing effects intact.
- Pixel count will be interesting. Sub 720P Isn't necessarily a disaster - see Snake Pass for a decent sub 720p image.
- Kudos to ID for not releasing bullshots and showing it how it is.
- People will buy this for portable.
- People buying to play docked will be disappointed in IQ and should get PS4 or PC version instead.

Seems about right, although I would personally say that I would buy this for the ability to play it both portably and docked, where I take the decreased IQ and frame rate as an acceptable compromise.

Well...the thing struggles a lot to run Breath of the Wild and there's like nothing happening on screen during most part of the game besides Link running. Still my GOAT tho.

It could most likely run a last gen port - Rockstar seem happy enough to port LA Noire.

gtj1092

Nothing trollish about any of the reactions here. It looks like it does to suit the limitations of the platform. That goes for ALL platforms. It's just the wording you didn't like.

Exactly. I don't get it if you have to put qualifiers for why something looks amazing it probably doesn't look too great.

I still don't get the awe in these ports. They are nearly a generation behind in graphics quality like previous handhelds were to their console counter parts.

It's like people didnt expect handheld graphic technology to have increased in the 6 years since the Vita.

Exactly. I don't get it if you have to put qualifiers for why something looks amazing it probably doesn't look too great.

I still don't get the awe in these ports. They are nearly a generation behind in graphics quality like previous handhelds were to their console counter parts.

It's like people didnt expect handheld graphic technology to have increased in the 6 years since the Vita.

Part of the awe is definitely down to the fact that Bethesda are even bothering. It's been YEARS since a big publisher gave Nintendo support like this.

SuomiDude

Looks pretty damn great for a portable console. Will buy the game, unless it somehow in the end is a crap port (which I doubt according to the early impressions).

Chessr

If PS3 and x360 could. Then switch can without problem

The lighting looks great for a Switch game, but I don't understand why the images are so blurry despite already being at only 720p?

I would have been happy for them to sacrifice the lighting to get it running at 60fps though. I think the huge lighting upgrade is one of the biggest differences between Wolfenstein TNO on Xbox 360 (which runs at 60fps) and this. Given the Switch is quite a bit more powerful than 360, I'm sure they could have pulled it off with a bit more time.

The lighting looks great for a Switch game, but I don't understand why the images are so blurry despite already being at only 720p?

I would have been happy for them to sacrifice the lighting to get it running at 60fps though. I think the huge lighting upgrade is one of the biggest differences between Wolfenstein on Xbox 360 (which runs at 60fps) and this.

Dynamic res + AA.

Top Bottom