• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK: Forza 7 down 22% from Forza 6, down 60% from Forza Horizon 3

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
In the continuing multiyear UK downpocalypse, this week it's Forza 7's time to shine.

Feel free to start guessing at how The Evil Within 2 and Shadow of War will do next week Pro-tip: Guess down a lot on the first and maybe down, maybe up on the second.

To Forza's credit, Forza Horizon 3 is right behind it on this week's chart despite releasing a year ago.

Forza Motorsport 7 is below 30,000 units.
Sales are 22% down on Forza Motorsport 6 and 60% down on Forza Horizon 3.

The highest week one sales was for Forza Motorsport 4 with 106,000 units sold.
01 (01) FIFA 18 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
02 (NE) FORZA MOTORSPORT 7 (MICROSOFT)
03 (03) FORZA HORIZON 3 (MICROSOFT)
04 (02) DESTINY 2 (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
05 (05) GRAND THEFT AUTO V (TAKE 2)
06 (06) CRASH BANDICOOT N.SANE TRILOGY (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
07 (NE) THE LEGO NINJAGO MOVIE VIDEOGAME (WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE)
08 (10) MARIO KART 8 DELUXE (NINTENDO)
09 (04) NBA 2K18 (TAKE 2)
10 (09) LEGO WORLDS (WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE)
Source: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1445072

Turkoop

Banned
Wow, I was expecting more since the previews were great at E3, Gamescom etc.
Maybe people got confused about the microtransactions.

Fox Mulder

Those evil lootboxes.

Forza 7 is great, but it's just more Forza. Most of the content is the same cars and tracks, and the X isn't even out for those sexy graphics they were always showing off.

Forza 6 is still great and they just gave away Forza 5 free as well.

Bsigg12

Do we expect Forza 7 to show up in the November NPD or will it be in the October report since the gold edition or whatever came out in September?

I do wonder if this sees some of that missing audience come back with the Xbox One X launch? People might be waiting to use the game as their One X debut game.

Majine

Banned
I hope they do something different for Forza 8/2019.

That's why I like Horizon, each entry feels different.

Jawmuncher

At this point seems the “spinoff” has over taken the original. A lot of people seem to prefer the arcadey and open world nature of horizon over the seriousness of regular Forza these days.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Wow, I was expecting more since the previews were great at E3, Gamescom etc.
Maybe people got confused about the microtransactions.

Given Forza 6 was also notably below Forza Horizon 3, a game which is still selling well today, I think people just way prefer the other approach to the series.

Ein Bear

I wonder if Forza 5 being given away on Games With Gold last month might have had an effect in compounding any franchise fatigue.

Any relatively new Xbox One owner is likely going to wind up getting Horizon 3 bundled with the console, and Forza 5 with GWG. I can't see them itching to buy a new full priced Forza game.

Theorry

I wonder if Forza 5 being given away on Games With Gold last month might have had an effect in compounding any franchise fatigue.

Any relatively new Xbox One owner is likely going to wind up getting Horizon 3 bundled with the console, and Forza 5 with GWG. I can't see them itching to buy a new full priced Forza game.

They gave away Forza 5 because its gonna be discontinued.

Clearly people are waiting for the Xbox One X to launch before picking up this holiday's must have racing title. I don't know how much Playground relies on tech from Turn10 but it's a little worrying that a spin off game is more important than the original title. I bet Horizon costs less to make also.

Given how fast Bethesda games drop in price you'd be stupid to pay full price. Even if it does moderately well it will be £25 within a month.
They gave away Forza 5 because its gonna be discontinued.
It doesn't matter why they gave it away but whether that actually translates to new sales. I trust Microsoft has the GWG data to back it up anyway. Third parties have been doing this for a while.

Obviously digital adoption is growing, but I seriously doubt it has increased 22% in the last couple of years. Especially here in the UK, where we get fucked on digital pricing.

Kind of ironic that the Horizon spin-off has grown to be significantly bigger than the main series.

score01

Given Forza 6 was also notably below Forza Horizon 3, a game which is still selling well today, I think people just way prefer the other approach to the series.

Doesn't the UK count bundled games as 'sales'? I think there are quite a lot of bundles with FH3 in them - which may explain why it is still charting so well.

shaneo632

Lootboxes + Horizon 3 being the best racing game of this gen reminding just how boring the mainline Forza series is.

Theorry

I hope they do something different for Forza 8/2019.

That's why I like Horizon, each entry feels different.

Wel Horizon can easy switch location and it already feels different. Forza Motorsport is still on real racing circuits most of the time.

I don't know, I still kind of want it. But these days, it pays to wait just a little while. Before long this game will show up at 39.99 on Amazon and then I'll feel better about it. I can even see it hitting 29.99 sometime around Thanksgiving. Especially if it's not selling well.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Is this console sales? just physical or is this digital as well? plus pc?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Doesn't the UK count bundled games as 'sales'? I think there are quite a lot of bundles with FH3 in them - which may explain why it is still charting so well.

Yes, though IIRC we also saw the singles sales being good for a long time.

Jumeira

Banned
Horizon is now mainline, well done Playground Games.

I appreciate F7 but as a Xbox fan, i dont enjoy sim racers or games with fun hidden in engine tweaks. FH3 is my favourite racer of all time, mostly due to its beautiful landscapes and fun racing mechanics, the SP is just so much fun.

I will not be buying Forza/Gran Turismo games, but will be there day 0 for Horizon 4.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Obviously digital adoption is growing, but I seriously doubt it has increased 22% in the last couple of years. Especially here in the UK, where we get fucked on digital pricing.

Kind of ironic that the Horizon spin-off has grown to be significantly bigger than the main series.

It's been growing about 5 percentage points every 6 months on a global basis since the start of the generation. Not sure what it shakes out to for the UK in specific.

so glad i avoided this game. had it pre ordered but decided to cancel it. bullet dodged!

Man, I know. I feel the same way when I back out of a AAA title that got excellent reviews and fixed issues that the community had problems with. *whew*

As for sales, I think this is a mix of the loot box fiasco (and Microsoft frankly needs to do a better job of communicating that they heard the community), and that folks are waiting for their Scorpio/XBO:X to come in before picking it up.

Mrbob

How long before Turn 10 becomes the B team for Forza franchise. Horizon is just way more fun than mainline Forza. Though to be fair isn't Horizon 3 basically bundled all the time which boosts it's numbers.

Hugstable

Banned
Wouldn't be surprised if some held off on getting the game due to how they tied Lootboxes to progression of the game due to mods. I know I did. I hope Forza Horizon 4 doesn't end up falling to this crap

We waiting for GT Sport. ;)

Forza 7 Play Anywhere / Digital sales maybe making it look worse than it really is ? or are people just busy still buying Crash and GTA 5 (seriously who hasn't brought this game by now ?)

I do wonder if this sees some of that missing audience come back with the Xbox One X launch? People might be waiting to use the game as their One X debut game.

It's an interesting thought but I don't think it holds that much weight imo.
Most people buying XB1X in UK will be the hardcore fans initially (at £450) and will have an S, so the disc or download they buy would work on either system.

Wouldn't most purchase the game now?

I'd be a little surprised to see a big jump in Forza 7 sales once X releases but I could be totally wrong.

m23

I still have to buy a copy, waiting on upgrading to the X, though I might cave before. I think the Motorsport series has probably hit its peak, Horizon seems like it will carry the franchise forward.

I still prefer Motorsport however.

Hawk269

so glad i avoided this game. had it pre ordered but decided to cancel it. bullet dodged!

What Bullet did you dodge? The game is great, it has been reviewing great etc. I have been playing it since early access and it is one of the best mainline Forza games yet. There are always going to be things that could be better, but the overall package is pretty damn great...not sure what bullet you are dodging?

Top Bottom