• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK: Forza 7 down 22% from Forza 6, down 60% from Forza Horizon 3

Ein Bear

They gave away Forza 5 because its gonna be discontinued.

Well yeah, it's less of the reason why they gave it away, more a case of if it was a good idea or not. The main criticism (other than loot boxes) of 7 is that it's a bit too similar to previous titles in the series, one of which is being given away for free at the same time and another which is being heavily packed-in with new systems.

Just a thought anyway. I'm sure it won't be the main factor in things.

pagrab

Hardly surprising. I believe that games like that should have two entries in a generation: one at the beginning, to show off the new hardware and one at the end, to show what the hardware was ultimately capable of.

jelly

Glad to see Horizon still doing well. Ace game.

Even with PC version, it's down. Not a good look but might have a long tail.

Microsoft aren't doing too well. Gears, now mainline Forza. Can't say I'm surprised on those two. Sea of Thieves and Crackdown next, think the former might do fine but what loot boxes await....

MisterR

It's probably time for MS to give Forza a few years off. Hopefully they won't run Horizon into the ground as well. There comes a point when you have to ask, do I really need another Forza? Put Turn 10 on something else for a few years and build up some sense of actual event.

Horizon 3 is one of the best racers of all time - Forza 7 is more of the same Forza you’ve been getting for the last decade but with microtransactions. Not exactly enticing.

At least it will be a nice XB1X showcase.

Trup1aya

How long before Turn 10 becomes the B team for Forza franchise. Horizon is just way more fun than mainline Forza. Though to be fair isn't Horizon 3 basically bundled all the time which boosts it's numbers.

Never, because it's ForzaTech that powers both games.

Bought FM6 and FM3 day one, passed on this one. Combination of never really "completing" the previous four Forza games on XB1 and the general negativity surrounding loot boxes, VIP (which has admittedly been fixed) and Forza rewards.

Will 100% get it when it's a little cheaper though.

HotchieMotchie

Neo Member
What Bullet did you dodge? The game is great, it has been reviewing great etc. I have been playing it since early access and it is one of the best mainline Forza games yet. There are always going to be things that could be better, but the overall package is pretty damn great...not sure what bullet you are dodging?

I'm sure he's talking about the lootboxes. The way the loot system has been handled in F7 has tarnished the game's reputation, even if the rest of the game is great.

I think there are a few potential contributing factors to the numbers here.

Would digital account for between 20% to 30% of overall sales? Will people be waiting for the X to drop before playing/buying the game? How much does the Super Duper Couple of Days Early Edition impact the proper first week sales?

More than any of that has been the lack of marketing presence though, I'm from the UK and I have yet to see anything - be it TV, Outdoor or Online Display. Not one Ad, which is a definite departure from previous games.

Seventy70

tbh I feel kind of burnt out on the Forza franchise as well. It feels like they make a section of a good racing game, then take that and copy and paste 50 times, add an XP system and microtransactions. I was disappointed in Horizon 3 as well. They had a good base game, but there was no sense of progression. They really just throw a giant list of races at you and the racing ends up becoming monotonous imo.

After F3 is where it started going downhill for me.

dugdug

Banned
As much as I loved Forza 6, I popped 7 in over the weekend, and, I've already sent it back. This many entries deep, and, it's really just more of the same, but, with a more annoying game around the actual racing.

Gestault

I can't remember how these charts combine SKUs; does this mean the week-one retail of Forza 7 outsold month-two week-five of combined Destiny 2 sales? Unless I'm remembering wrong, even the first month of Destiny 2 was depressed in the UK compared to the first game.

Edit: Thanks Chobel

oti

Banned
Horizon 3 is one of the best racers of all time - Forza 7 is more of the same Forza you’ve been getting for the last decade but with microtransactions. Not exactly enticing.

At least it will be a nice XB1X showcase.

This post will be great in a year when Horizon 4 with microtransactions comes out.

Shiggy

Doesn't the UK count bundled games as 'sales'? I think there are quite a lot of bundles with FH3 in them - which may explain why it is still charting so well.

The FH3 bundles are cheaper than the non-bundled version, which isn't supplied by gross retailers/Microsoft and which a lot of retailers don't seem to have stock of anymore. So if you want an Xbox One S, you most likely also get FH3 or Minecraft (or soon: AC Origins or Shadow of War).

border

At this point, isn't pretty much everything down big in the UK?

I know it's one of the only territories for which we get fast and accurate sales numbers, but I'm kinda tired of UK performance setting the tone and tenor of discussion for every game's sales trajectory.

MaxiLive

I'm not sure but aren't the UK charts just physical? Still a significant drop vs Horizon but I can see digital being a much larger market these days especially with play anywhere.

It's been growing about 5 percentage points every 6 months on a global basis since the start of the generation. Not sure what it shakes out to for the UK in specific.
UK generally ahead of the curve but brick and mortar pricing so competitive in the UK that some have doubts about how much it is growing. Internet speeds quite poor in a lot of the UK also.

£49.99 digitally or £39.48 physical.

wapplew

22% down is not that much. Higher digital ratio since this is the first mainline Forza with play anywhere, plus people hold off for one X.
I'm sure revenue will be higher with inclusion of lootbox.

When I pre-ordered my XB1X , I decided that I wouldn’t buy any more games until I receive my new console. I would imagine I’m not alone in that sentiment.

I’m going to keep myself busy with Ghost Recon Wildlands - Ghost War until that day, then I’ll likely pick-up the new Wolfenstein & Forza-7.

Trup1aya

tbh I feel kind of burnt out on the Forza franchise as well. It feels like they make a section of a good racing game, then take that and copy and paste 50 times, add an XP system and microtransactions. I was disappointed in Horizon 3 as well. They had a good base game, but there was no sense of progression. They really just throw a giant list of races at you and the racing ends up becoming monotonous imo.

After F3 is where it started going downhill for me.

Just curious, what could be done differently to avoid it feeling like a giant list of races? To me, that's essentially what racing games are...

theWB27

Is UK guys.... And GTS is coming this month.

Does this actually happen? Exclusives eating another exclusive's lunch? I can't see how that would happen...but I could be wrong.

Just curious, what could be done differently to avoid it feeling like a giant list of races? To me, that's essentially what racing games are...

I wonder this same thing. Especially in sports threads.

Domstercool

Wish we had digital sales, because I'd love to see how many transitioned to digital this time. I bought it digital this time so I could have a PC copy as well.

Fox Mulder

I'm sure he's talking about the lootboxes. The way the loot system has been handled in F7 has tarnished the game's reputation, even if the rest of the game is great.

It's tarnished by people that don't play the game. The lootboxes are protested on principle rather than implementation.

I've played like 20 hours and already have over 100 cars in a game allegedly ruined by a micro transaction economy. I haven't been forced to buy shit.

They're bringing back the VIP double credit bonus, and I get like 425k each week with my Forza rewards tier. Credits will be worthless in a month like all the recent Forza games.

But lootboxes.

Chobel

I can't remember how these charts combine SKUs; does this mean the retail-only Forza 7 outsold month-two of combined Destiny 2 sales? Unless I'm remembering wrong, even the first month of Destiny 2 was depressed in the UK compared to the first game.

The charts are weekly, so Forza 7 (1st week) outsold Destiny 2 (5th week).

But yeah, Destiny 2 sold way below the first game.

Wish we had digital sales, because I'd love to see how many transitioned to digital this time. I bought it digital this time so I could have a PC copy as well.
Some retailers like Amazon UK were selling the digital cards at the same price as the disc copy which nets you play anywhere. I don't think play anywhere is such a huge selling point anyway because it's the UK and windows store is a bad experience.

Turkoop

Banned
Given Forza 6 was also notably below Forza Horizon 3, a game which is still selling well today, I think people just way prefer the other approach to the series.

This and maybe they're waiting for a better price. I think people started to buy games, after they've got a price reduction.

blakep267

Obviously digital adoption is growing, but I seriously doubt it has increased 22% in the last couple of years. Especially here in the UK, where we get fucked on digital pricing.

Kind of ironic that the Horizon spin-off has grown to be significantly bigger than the main series.
Eh the thing is 22% is only 6000 copies(if we assume it sold ~30k). It's not as if Forza 6 sold 1 million and 22% is 220,000 copies. 6k more peoplenbuying digital instead of physical isn't a stretch at all

Hopefully people waiting for One X is the reason because it's sad to see this happen to such a great franchise. On the other hand maybe people are actually getting tired of FM, even though it doesn't release on a yearly basis.

But if this doesn't pick up it will be another exclusive that isn't selling exactly fantastic, which is sad.

Trup1aya

Lootcrategate definitely didn't earn them any new customers.

And digital likely pulled a handful of people in.

Forza Motorsport certainly could use a new hook- i dont think dynamic whether is it when other franchises have already been doing that.

This is part of MS problem, we don't need a new Forza game every year.

I love it when people lump both Forza lines as one- the implication is that since we get a game that has forza in the title every year, that the games are coming too frequently. MOTORSPORT and Horizon are completely different. One doesnt cause fatigue on fans of the other.

JP

This is actually the first Forza that I've never bought on launch day and I don't I'll buy this game.

I hated what they did with the DLC in Forza 6 and Horizon 3 made it even worse and as somebody who really loves these games, I won't buy another one until they sort the way they handle DLC out. I decided that after Horizon 3, which is a game I absolutely love and it's not once entered my head to want to hand over money for this game.

Fox Mulder

I love it when people lump both Forza lines as one- the implication is that since we get a game that has forza in the title every year, that the games are coming too frequently. MOTORSPORT and Horizon are completely different. One doesnt cause fatigue on fans of the other.

The average person may not know that, it happens on gaf all the time. They could have used Forza for the main series and Project Gotham Racing or whatever for the arcade.

People see Forza every year and think it's an annualized game. It's happened for years now.

Forza Horizon went from spinoff series to flagship title quite fast.

I think it just shows how ready people are for something new, new ideas. That's why I'd love to see Turn 10 and PG work on a totally different genre. We know PG is but Turn 10 really is all about racing. Can they perhaps introduce another spin off?

Given how hard everything was dropping, 22% less sales doesn't seem so bad actually.

Glad to see Horizon still doing well. Ace game.

Even with PC version, it's down. Not a good look but might have a long tail.

Microsoft aren't doing too well. Gears, now mainline Forza. Can't say I'm surprised on those two. Sea of Thieves and Crackdown next, think the former might do fine but what loot boxes await....
The Pc version is digital only and wouldn't enter this chart I think.

leeh

Since this is the first true Play Anywhere mainline Forza, presuming it's just done similar to Forza 6 with the digital adoption.

Top Bottom