• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So say Galactic Empire (Star Wars) invades the Imperium of Man (Warhammer 40k)...

Status
Not open for further replies.
The last Spacebattle thread we did lasted for 24 pages and got a lot of Gaffers involved. The Galactic Empire seemed to emerge victorious. So here's a new scenario:

At the end of Star Wars: A New Hope, Luke's shot into the Death Star reactor misses. The Death Star fires and destroys Yavin IV completely, ending the rebellion forever. The Millennium Falcon, Luke and Wedge all attempt to flee and are destroyed unceremoniously by a Star Destroyer.

Due to the massive shift in the potential destiny of the galaxy, the explosion of Yavin IV combines with the disturbance in The Force and rips a hole through space and time. A permanent wormhole begins to form, about the size of a Solar System.

vs1.jpg

The Death Star itself moves to a safe distance and the inquisitive Grand Moff Tarkin sends a dozen Imperial Probe Droids in.

In another galaxy: It is the 41st Millennium there is ONLY WAR.

warhammer-40k-eternal-battle.jpg

The Imperium of Man spans a million worlds, with untold trillions fighting a thousand battles to protect their Empire from its many enemies. From The Golden Throne, the God-Emperor exists in a state outside life and death. The High Lords of Terra rule as best they can, with a terrible devout fury. Under their command: The Space Marines; The Imperial Guard; The Adeptus Mechanicus; The Sisters of War; The Inquisition and a dozen other groups, willing and ready to fight to the death.

40k.jpg

Red circle is the Eye of Terror; Yellow circle is Holy Terra (Earth), Green circle is the approximate location of the wormhole. Image credit Joachim Adomeit.

In the region of space Segmentum Pacificus, a distortion in space tears apart a Red Dwarf star. The distortion expands and consumes the lifeless solar system in moments, forming a stable wormhole. A dozen probe droids emerge and fly off in many differing directions.

One investigates the unusual region known as the Eye of Terror, and loses signal.
One flies towards Tau space, and is carefully shot down by the Tau.
One is apprehended by The Eldar who have foreseen its arrival.
One heads towards Holy Terra and is immediately destroyed.
One mysteriously loses power in orbit of a Necron Tombworld.
7-11 are destroyed by unknown means.

The last probe lands on a Space Hulk and downloads some of its remnant database. The information is broadcast back through the wormhole to the Death Star. The orks find the probe droid and eat it.

vs5.jpg

On the Command Center of the Death Star, Palpatine has been dissecting the recovered data with dark hunger. With the rebellion completely crushed and the supremacy of The Sith uncontested, he has the unified resources of an entire galaxy at his disposal. At his command, clone armies can be produced, ships can be build, droid armies can be assembled, Sith warriors can be trained, and any world can be enslaved to any war effort of his choosing.

His goal: to conquer Holy Terra, and insert himself into the Golden Throne. To live forever, without the unstable process of cloning himself.

Palpatine calls together a council of war. Himself, Darth Vader, Grand Moff Tarkin and Grand Admiral Thrawn lead the planning.

532px-God-Emperor3.jpg

On Holy Terra, the Psykers all recieve the same dream. The God Emperor of Man on his throne, saying two quiet words: Fight them.

Your_emperor_is_false_by_CaptVovan.jpg

Based on what you know about 40k and Wars GAF, what happens? Some points for consideration:

Current status of the 40K Galaxy

-The wormhole is the size of a solar system, and can be entered and exited from any direction. Known science cannot seal it thus far.
-The God-Emperor's supposed message is acknowledged by the High Lords of Terra, and they connect it to the new Wormhole. They pledge every resource to fight the invaders from the Wormhole.
-The Force works in both galaxies, as does all technology.
-Though there is always war, there are currently no significant invasions on the Imperium of Man by the other 40k powers.
-The Tau, Eldar, Necrons and Chaos disected the databases of the Probe Droids, and may have plans of their own. For the sake of the debate though, they let the attack on the Imperium of Man proceed initially. Soonafter they react as you may predict.

Current status of the Imperium of Man

-A war frenzy caused by the God Emperor's supposed contact.

War preparations by the Galactic Empire

-Palpatine has confirmed the primary goal: Secure the Golden Throne. This cannot be damaged. Anything to achieve this goal is allowed.
-Palpatine recognizes the level of threat and the difficulty in taking Holy Terra intact. He can enlist any Dark Jedi in canon, open Sith Academies, access all Sith Holocrons and strategies of past Sith Lords.
-Palpatine can order the creation of as many clone-producing worlds or droid-factory worlds as he needs.
-Palpatine can enslave any planet of the galaxy into producing starships and weapons.
-Tarkin has access to all of his superweapons.
-With the Rebellion gone, Palpatine can create as many ships and Death Stars as the resources of the Galaxy will allow.

General

-Remember the war is both in space, and on the ground. Posting a picture of a Space Marine next to a paltry Stormtrooper isn't enough of an argument.
-Assume that both galaxies are approximately the same size.
-Feel free to post how the other 40K powers will react and what they will plan for the SW Galaxy.

What happens GAF? This is a battle between the unified resources of the Star Wars galaxy, versus the raging fury and insane bloodlust of another.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
A single Imperium ship is roughly 8 times the size of a Super Star Destroyer. A farm boy with about 4 weeks of training beat the entire Empire almost single handedly. Stormtroopers cannot hit the broadside of a barn. Sith destroy themselves.

The Imperium would win in about 2 weeks. No contest, and with minimal amount of bloodshed on their end.

WanderingWind said:
A single Imperium ship is roughly 8 times the size of a Super Star Destroyer.

Could I ask for the specs on this, I wasn't aware it was so clear. I've certainly not seen ship specs with these numbers.

How will they be dealing with the Death Star in these two weeks by the way?

WanderingWind

Mama Robotnik said:
Could I ask for the specs on this, I wasn't aware it was so clear. I've certainly not seen ship specs with these numbers.

How will they be dealing with the Death Star in these two weeks by the way?
It was in the last thread. I believe some of their bigger ships outclassed the Death Star by an order of magnitudes.

WanderingWind said:
It was in the last thread. I believe some of their bigger ships outclassed the Death Star by an order of magnitudes.

Sorry, what? Ain Imperium of Man ship is bigger than an artificial moon? This I have never seen, could you please link the thread and the measurements?

To outclass the Death Star by orders of magnitude would make them bigger than a planet, right? I don't recall any of that in the fluff at all.

WanderingWind

Mama Robotnik said:
Sorry, what? Ain Imperium of Man ship is bigger than an artificial moon? This I have never seen, could you please link the thread and the measurements?

I don't even remember what that last thread was called. Wasn't it yours?:lol

WanderingWind said:
I don't even remember what that last thread was called. Wasn't it yours?:lol

My thread is the one linked at the top yes, but I don't remember anywhere in its 24 pages any evidence of any Imperium Ships being bigger than planets. Its certainly news to me and I read it pretty thoroughly.

I don't know too much about 40k Warhammer but from what I've read on wikipedia killing a good few hours just reading it up curiously because the more recent PC games.

From what I've gathered the 40k Warhammer universe is just so damn filled with powerful soldiers, honest to god sedulously in "How many kinds of overkill leveled mofos" can you get in one platoon kind of crazy let alone galactic wide military.

Alucrid

Banned
40k wins easily. Hey, maybe some of the primaches will show their faces now.

Shit, I'm a nerd.

Really though. Storm troops go down in one blaster shot? A space marine takes of fucking Tyranids and shit. Can get shot with a plasma rifle, live and then kick ass with his chainsword. They have dreadnaughts, tons of tanks, huge ships, etc.

Ridli

I know nothing of the Warhammer Universe, but I can only imagine the power available at Palpatine's fingertips with unrestricted resources of the entire known galaxy at his disposal. Even the Yuuzhan Vong had doubts of their ability to tackle the Empire at the height of it's power, and they were certainly a war-dominated theocracy with unwavering loyalty to a "Emperor-God."

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
I know what Star Wars is. I have no idea what this 40 hammers thing is all about so Star Wars wins.

WanderingWind

Mama Robotnik said:
My thread is the one linked at the top yes, but I don't remember anywhere in its 24 pages any evidence of any Imperium Ships being bigger than planets. Its certainly news to me and I read it pretty thoroughly.

http://a.imageshack.us/img819/3749/1274059971811.jpg

Isn't the Death Star roughly twice the size of DS9? I read that somewhere...in any event. A farmboy took it out with less than 20 other fighters.
+
++

Patryn

40k without a doubt. Sure, Palpatine can make droids pretty fast, but clones will take a while to complete the cloning process.

Meanwhile, you have Space Marines which have been doing nothing but fighting forever, basically.

Sure the Empire has been on a war footing, but it's also partially designed to actually control a government and a people. The Space Marines and Imperium of Man are there to just kill, kill, kill and die. At some point I just think you'll witness the limits of the will of the Imperial soldiers as they face basically the personifications of war itself.

WanderingWind said:
http://a.imageshack.us/img819/3749/1274059971811.jpg

Isn't the Death Star roughly twice the size of DS9? I read that somewhere...in any event. A farmboy took it out with less than 20 other fighters.
+
++

http://www.st-minutiae.com/misc/comparison/comparison_large.png

Note the size of a Super Star Destroyer at the top. Note the size of Deep Space Nine at the middle bottom.

Note that The Death Star is hundreds of thousands (possibly millions) of times bigger than a Super Star Destroyer.

Alucrid said:
Really though. Storm troops go down in one blaster shot? A space marine takes of fucking Tyranids and shit. Can get shot with a plasma rifle, live and then kick ass with his chainsword. They have dreadnaughts, tons of tanks, huge ships, etc.

No doubt that the Imperium's troops are stronger, much better armed and more experienced than the Stormies. Space Marines versus the Dark Jedi would be interesting to behold.

But the battle is not just soldier vs soldier, its significantly ship vs ship. Can the Imperium deal with hundreds of thousands of Star Destroyers, three of which are needed to BDZ a planet and irradicate all life from it.

Can they deal with multiple Death Stars and its insanelt-powerful superlaser?

I don't know, but I don't think its a cakewalk for 40k here.

Patryn

Based on this (go to -10x), the Super Star Destroyer (19 km) IS larger than the Imperial Retribution Class Battleship BloodHawk (7.5 km).

Mama Robotnik said:
No doubt that the Imperium's troops are stronger, much better armed and more experienced than the Stormies. Space Marines versus the Dark Jedi would be interesting to behold.

But the battle is not just soldier vs soldier, its significantly ship vs ship. Can the Imperium deal with hundreds of thousands of Star Destroyers, three of which are needed to BDZ a planet and irradicate all life from it.

Can they deal with multiple Death Stars and its insanelt-powerful superlaser?

I don't know, but I don't think its a cakewalk for 40k here.

But the Empire only has 1 Death Star at the moment. It would take months, if not years, to make a second, much less multiple ones.

The Imperium has enough battleships to handle the Star Destroyers, I'm guessing.

I think 40k would win fast enough that the Empire wouldn't be able to create any of those wonderful toys. They'd be forced to play with 1 Death Star and 1 Super Star Destroyer. And while those outclass anything the Imperium has, I think the Imperium would be able to overwhelm them.

And any ground battle is a cakewalk for 40k.

No, the Empire's best chance is that an Imperium enemy opens up a second front, forcing the Imperium to split its resources. If that happened, I'd give the Empire a shot.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Patryn said:
Based on this (go to -10x), the Super Star Destroyer (19 km) IS larger than the Imperial Retribution Class Battleship BloodHawk (7.5 km).

You forget Star Wars has its super lulz power numbers numbers.

Also, size isn't everything. One example I would use is Star Trek Vs Battlestar Galactica. Galactica has bigger ships, but nothing on the show would make you think they'd be a match for the Federation.

shuri

Banned
let's not forget that the Empire is using state of the art technology that they can fix.. The Warhammer 40k universe is based on old centuries old spaceships that barely hold together.. they've been at war for so long they dont remember how to fix their own technology and survive on scavenging. Losing a spaceship is hugeeee drama for them.

The Empire has complete air superiority. Also it doesnt help that the space marines are freaked out by anything 'psychic' .. The dark jedis would fuck with them hardcore. Most Space Marines are mostly dumb meatheads after all.

Patryn

DrForester said:
You forget Star Wars has its super lulz power numbers numbers.

Also, size isn't everything. One example I would use is Star Trek Vs Battlestar Galactica. Galactica has bigger ships, but nothing on the show would make you think they'd be a match for the Federation.

40k has psychics who can do a lot of stuff that Force users can do.

Alucrid

Banned
shuri said:
let's not forget that the Empire is using state of the art technology that they can fix.. The Warhammer 40k universe is based on old centuries old spaceships that barely hold together.. they've been at war for so long they dont remember how to fix their own technology and survive on scavenging.

But don't the Bolters have exploding bullets? Shit's gonna hit the fan once the stormies have their friends all over them. :lol

As for the Dark Jedi I think it would be interesting to see them against pyskers...maybe Inquisitors.

shuri said:
let's not forget that the Empire is using state of the art technology that they can fix.. The Warhammer 40k universe is based on old centuries old spaceships that barely hold together.. they've been at war for so long they dont remember how to fix their own technology and survive on scavenging. Losing a spaceship is hugeeee drama for them.

The Empire has complete air superiority. Also it doesnt help that the space marines are freaked out by anything 'psychic' .. The dark jedis would fuck with them hardcore. Most Space Marines are mostly dumb meatheads after all.

What? Not really. They're don't trust people who use such powers but it doesn't make them unable to fight. I mean, there's the Grey Knights who specialize in kicking demon/wrap users asses.

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
Really? I don't follow Warhammer, but I was under the impression that they could fix and build new stuff.

Yeah I'm pretty sure they can build their own stuff. You still have the Imperial Guard which maintains a large fleet as well.

shuri said:

The Empire has complete air superiority. Also it doesnt help that the space marines are freaked out by anything 'psychic' .. The dark jedis would fuck with them hardcore

Really? I don't follow Warhammer, but I was under the impression that they could fix and build new stuff.

The_Technomancer said:
After this can we have "So the Mass Effect universe invades the Star Trek galaxy..."?
Shepherd and Garrus could handle the entire Star Wars universe by themselves...
jkzk2x.jpg

with the power of love

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
As soon as fighting breaks out, the Orks will get involved, excited over a new opponent I imagine they would overwhelm the Empire with sheer numbers. They reproduce at an astounding rate.

Alucrid

Banned
Sinatar said:
As soon as fighting breaks out, the Orks will get involved, excited over a new opponent I imagine they would overwhelm the Empire with sheer numbers. They reproduce at an astounding rate.

We should add Chaos, Nekrons, Tau, Eldar, Dark Eldar, etc. etc. in to the mix too. :lol

Still though, even in the Empire won out over the Imperium, they would have the rest of the galaxy to deal with.

Ridli

Alucrid said:
But don't the Bolters have exploding bullets? Shit's gonna hit the fan once the stormies have their friends all over them. :lol

As for the Dark Jedi I think it would be interesting to see them against pyskers...maybe Inquisitors.

Stormtroopers really shouldn't be phased by seeing their friends die. The unfortunate fact is that the movies and the EU are going to paint some contrasting pictures of what the Imperial military is really like. We shouldn't also discount the abilities that a Sith Lord has on troop morale and drive. Sith Lords do have the ability to exert their will among their forces, essentially improving their fighting ability -- gah, I wish I had a proper reference here, you're going to make me dig out RPG sourcebooks and whatnot.

Ridli said:
Stormtroopers really shouldn't be phased by seeing their friends die. The unfortunate fact is that the movies and the EU are going to paint some contrasting pictures of what the Imperial military is really like. We shouldn't also discount the abilities that a Sith Lord has on troop morale and drive. Sith Lords do have the ability to exert their will among their forces, essentially improving their fighting ability -- gah, I wish I had a proper reference here, you're going to make me dig out RPG sourcebooks and whatnot.

Don't Commanders also have that same ability in 40K?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Ridli said:

Battle Meditation? We all played KOTOR, we know it.

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:

He is exaggerating it to a great degree. Some of the more advanced technologies, like Terminator armor and plasma weapons, have had their science lost to time and can't be manufactured any more. The only things they "scavenge" are pieces of these items in order to repair existing ones or combine into new ones.

There are hundreds of forge worlds pumping out millions of tanks, fighters, etc. all the time. I believe their spacecraft can still be built too.

shuri

Banned
Well, my knowledge of Warhammer 40k comes from playing the games and reading one of those big compilation book that had tons of stories in it.

From memory, bolts are the equivalent of small rpg rockets. They would destroy stormtroopers on impact.

Also, the big problem with Space Marine is equipment.. they have re-use old equipment all the time, some of the power armors are thousand years old and they have Technicians (I forgot their official name) doing voodoo on them so that the suits still work.

Let's not forget that Space Marines are a finite resource. It takes a LOOONNNG time to become a space marine, tons of enhancements are required too, and one of the main enhancement that they get is a special heart that was modified to support the various cyborg enhancements and implants, and that heart is installed on a space marine recruit before getting those upgrades. From memory its called Lieman's heart, or something, and they were cloned from one of the first legendary space marine. And from memory it takes a long time to create a space marine from start to finish, something like 20-40 years..

ANYHOW

Those hearts cannot be reproduced anymore, and the warhammer clerics have to pull them out of dead space marines to re-implant them on new recruits.. It's kind of fucked up really, and If the Empire blows up a planet full of space marines, that's a lot of replacement hearts gone forever.

The empire can clone an infinite number of troopers. And what's stopping them from cloning space marines..

In the long run, the space marines are fucked.

Alucrid

Banned
Ridli said:

That's too true. I'm used to thinking of Stormtroopers in the IV-VI sense. Just normal guys doing their thang. Never really got a chance to see what they were like in actual battle. I suppose books and what not act as supplementary sources of info, but I've never read many of them. Still, I wonder how much damage a blaster could do to their power armor.

shuri said:
Well, my knowledge of Warhammer 40k comes from playing the games and reading one of those big compilation book that had tons of stories in it.

From memory, bolts are the equivalent of small rpg rockets. They would destroy stormtroopers on impact.

Also, the big problem with Space Marine is equipment.. they have re-use old equipement all the time, some of the power armors are thousand years old and they have Technicians (I forgot their official name) doing voodoo on them so that the suits still work.

Let's not forget that Space Marines are a finite ressource. It takes a LOOONNNG time to become a space marine, tons of enhancements are required too, and one of the main enhancement that they get is a special heart that was modified to support the various cyborg enhancements and implants. From memory its called Lieman's heart, or something, and they were cloned from one of the first space marine.

ANYHOW

Those hearts cannot be reproduced anymore, and the warhammer clerics have to pull them out of dead space marines to re-implant them on new recruits.. It's kind of fucked up really, and If the Empire blows up a planet full of space marines, that's a lot of replacement hearts gone forever.

The empire can clone an infinite number of troopers. And what's stopping them from cloning space marines..

Not quite, but eh. Their equipment is fine. There's nothing wrong with it. I mean, Space Marines have survived the biggest clusterfuck situations thanks to their armor and enchancements. Tyranids? Orks? Chaos? I don't see the Empire posing much more of a problem then them. Plus, it's not only space marines, they have millions of Imperial Guardsmen to call on as well.

Oh, it's the gene seed that they take out btw.

Ridli

AceBandage said:
Don't Commanders also have that same ability in 40K?

I can't say, I know squat about 40k. I'm certain their are similar abilities. What I'm trying to point out is that there's a huge amount of power that a proper Sith Lord brings to the table, not only in themselves but also the armies that they command, that really isn't addressed in any of the movies.

Edit:
DrForester said:
Battle Meditation? We all played KOTOR, we know it.

I never did :lol

I'm mostly going back to the discussions that Thrawn had about Joorus C'baoth and using him to augment his forces. In addition to the just crazy stuff Naga Sadow and some of the Sith Empire insanity with entire armies of illusionary forces.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Ridli said:
I can't say, I know squat about 40k. I'm certain their are similar abilities. What I'm trying to point out is that there's a huge amount of power that a proper Sith Lord brings to the table, not only in themselves but also the armies that they command, that really isn't addressed in any of the movies.

Psykers are every bit as powerful as a jedi, if not moreso.

Deadly

All of the Space Marines are divided into separate Chapters consisting of about 1000 Space Marines and there are about 1000 Chapters. Considering that they are all apart if you send big enough forces attacking each of them, since the Empire has a pretty big army, the Empire actually has a chance. Add to that force users and it seems like a nice battle.

Also, since we're considering Palpatine is at FULL resources here, Clone Troopers or Stormtroopers? Because the clone variant seems 100x more competent than the latter :lol

WanderingWind said:
A single Imperium ship is roughly 8 times the size of a Super Star Destroyer. A farm boy with about 4 weeks of training beat the entire Empire almost single handedly. Stormtroopers cannot hit the broadside of a barn. Sith destroy themselves.

The Imperium would win in about 2 weeks. No contest, and with minimal amount of bloodshed on their end.

This. Imperium would make the Galactic empire look like France during WW2.

No contest to be seen here.

There is literally no other Sci-Fi medium that can beat the 40k Imperium. You'd have to combine everyone else in an alliance just to stand a GHOST of a chance.

Repgnar

Doesn't the Imperium have the Adeptus Mechanicum who have the sole responsibility of working on their ships/technology? If psychic powers scared Marines shitless, Eldar should have no problem taking out chapters and librarians wouldn't be utilized in their own forces. Imperium is pro at propaganda and would have no problem coming up and associating this new found enemy to be aligned with chaos or something. 'Dumb meatheads', comon man. I'm not familiar with the Star Wars tech and only have a basic knowledge of the Imperium's but this should be good to read.

Do we take into account that the Mechanicum has found failures starting to emerge in the Golden Throne they can't even fix as of the 5th Edition?

Alucrid

Banned
CF_Fighter said:
Do we take into account that the Mechanicum has found failures starting to emerge in the Golden Throne they can't even fix as of the 5th Edition?

I thought the emperor was making a very slow recovery too. :lol

TacticalFox88 said:
There is literally no other Sci-Fi medium that can beat the 40k Imperium. You'd have to combine everyone else in an alliance just to stand a GHOST of a chance.

The spacefaring races of the Marvel Universe (ESPECIALLY the phalanx/technarchy) would annihilate them instantly. Though that might be stretching your definition of "sci-fi". :lol

shuri said:

Yep, they are basically large explosive rocket-propelled slugs. They would absolutely demolish a normal humanoid.

Also, the big problem with Space Marine is equipment.. they have re-use old equipement all the time, some of the power armors are thousand years old and they have Technicians (I forgot their official name) doing voodoo on them so that the suits still work.

Power Armor (what normal Space Marines wear) can be manufactured, and the designs actually keep getting updated. Terminator Armor is much rarer and can no longer be made, so they have to keep repairing the old stuff and pass them down from generation to generation.

A Space Marine Chapter has 1000 marines, divided into 10 Companies of 100 each. The 1st Company (the most honored and capable vets) have full access to Terminator armor. Resources for each Chapter vary, but you could bet on there being roughly 100 suits in a healthy Chapter.

The technicians you refer too are Tech Priests (or Tech Marines within a Space Marine Chapter). They haver deified machines and all that, and do lots of rituals to pray for them to run better and whatnot, but I don't think any [magic is really supposed to be involved in repairing equipment. They do actual repairs to really fix things.

Let's not forget that Space Marines are a finite ressource. It takes a LOOONNNG time to become a space marine, tons of enhancements are required too, and one of the main enhancement that they get is a special heart that was modified to support the various cyborg enhancements and implants. From memory its called Lieman's heart, or something, and they were cloned from one of the first space marine.

It does take a long time, but most chapters have a constant stream of trainees to keep up with their losses. Numbers are less of a problem for Space Marines than any other fictional group I can think of anyway.

That's wrong. They extract the geneseed from dead marines to add to their supply for gene therapy. The ones who do this are the Apothecaries, who are also sort of the medics. It's not really a zero-sum thing, they just take advantage of the opportunity to get what is a valuable and scarce resource.

They have several special organs, 19 to be exact, give or take some others in unusual Chapters. Some examples are a gland that lets them spit acid, and another one that will filter out virtually any toxin in their bloodstream.

The heart doesn't have a special name or anything. the notable thing about their hearts is that they have two of them.:lol

I don't think the Imperium of Man knows how to clone anything. If they could clone Space Marines I don't see why it would be a problem, though they can only get so much raw genetic material so quickly from the existing ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom