• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

kinggroin

Banned
Y84bm.png

What's Android?
-------------------
- A flexible Linux based operating system initially made for phones, but it now moving into tablets, computers, microwaves, stationary bikes, and even your HP Touchpad.

Early Days of Android by OS News

What's the Latest Version of Android and where can I get it?
---------------------------
The latest officially open source version of Android is Jelly Bean (4.2.2)

Where can you get it?
Here http://developer.android.com/index.html

You can't do much with that unless you're a developer.

So then what?
Well you're at the mercy of whoever is responsible for your device (Samsung/HTC/Verizon/ATT/etc), or you can ROOT your phone and install custom firmware. Even then, you're still at the mercy of whoever is putting ROMs together for your device unless you compile the OS yourself.

Root, Roms, Bootloaders, Hacking, and Macking???
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Every device is different, so they all have different procedures for doing all those things.

*Links for major devices will be posted here if people pm the links, but more than likely this sentence will stay like this forever*

Sounds complicated, is android just poor's man iPhone?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes.

I keep hearing Android is fragmented, what's up with that?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stop paying attention to fools. Fragmentation and Versioning are different things. There are numerous "point" versions to Android out there at any given time.

If you point your browser here:

http://developer.android.com/resources/dashboard/platform-versions.html

You can see the latest breakdown of Android devices accessing the Android Market. It's not a complete metric of Android, but it's the closest thing to an "official" count.

Android applications are forward compatible. Meaning, If a developer stops supporting their app targeted for version 2.0. It will still work on Android version 6.5.

Where can I download Apps?
------------------------------------------
From the Android Market that's built into your phone or their site:

********None of these store are curated unless noted otherwise(not even the Android Market) so user beware********

or from the Amazon Appstore (Amazon Curates their App Store)

or from GetJAR

or from Slideme

or......

*links that people will pm for other sources.*

Current Awesome Android Phones (5/12)
------------------------------------------

HTC One - Sense 5
Samsung Galaxy S IV - Touchwiz
Google Nexus 4 - AOSP stock android
Samsung Galaxy Note 2 - Touchwiz
Sony Xperia Z/ZL - non stock launcher
LG Optimus G Pro - non stock launcher

Current Awesome Android Tablets
-------------------------------------

Google Nexus 10 - AOSP
Google Nexus 7 - AOSP
Galaxy Note 8 - Touchwiz

Relevant Links to other NeoGAF threads
--------------------------
Apps for Android |OT|

Android Gaming |OT| New OP

Show off your Android Customizations thread

What are GAF's Top 5 Android Apps?

Android Thread - 2011 Edition | Stuffed on Gingerbread, Hungry for Honeycomb!

Links to other Misc. Info
----------------------------
AndroidandMe.com has a very comprehensive article(as of August 2011) detailing updating histories for companies:

http://androidandme.com/2011/08/news/updates-or-lack-thereof-on-the-android-update-alliance/

Where can I get the latest news, and be cool like Android Gaf?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In no particular order

Android and Me

Android Central

Android Police

Phandroid

Droid Life

kinggroin

Banned
Android |OT2|: The OS, not Mitt Romney

I chuckled

Edit:

I mentioned it in another thread, but what do you guys think the chances are of Google ditching software buttons in favor of a gesture bottom bezel?

Think, always have the last image from open apps cached, then you swipe left or right on the bezel to page between them (swipe fast enough and the windows zoom out to show the multitasking ribbon we normally have), tap the bezel for home, swipe up for Google now.

Gattsu25

Banned
I heard they make phones with the Android, is this true?

Edit: Also, shouldn't this thread have been opened in OT and then moved by a mod after it got some visibility?

Gattsu25

Banned
Its the sequel. People already know to come here for android stuff.
Just thinking of the people that use view GAF primarily through the Gaming/OT main forums + Subscriptions

Like.. err.. me.

If I didn't see the Android OT was locked in my subscriptions I never would have noticed that it rolled over because I rarely if ever directly visit the Community forums. The locked Android OT would have sunk in my Subscriptions and I would not know this thread existed.

tino

Banned
Wow, Samsung expect to sell 30 million of S3 and 20 million Note 2.

30 million for the S3 is pretty doable. They have already sold 20. Selling 20 million Galaxy Note 2 though, its kind of crazy. Will this make Note 2 the 2nd best selling non-iPhone?

How many Galaxy Nexus has google sold to date?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Wow, Samsung expect to sell 30 million of S3 and 20 million Note 2.

30 million for the S3 is pretty doable. They have already sold 20. Selling 20 million Galaxy Note 2 though, its kind of crazy. Will this make Note 2 the 2nd best selling non-iPhone?

How many Galaxy Nexus has google sold to date?

Didn't Google sell a really tiny amount of Galaxy Nexus?

Ixian

While I wasn't disappointed with the new iPhone, the lack of a big "wow" feature in conjunction with changes in my phone usage habits has made it likely that I will switch to Android this year. Having purchased a Nexus 7 a few weeks ago to get a feel for Android and its apps, there's quite a lot that I prefer about iOS still, but a lot to love about Android as well (in particular, I am excited about having a decent Gmail client and being able to make full use of Google Now). Since I don't use that many apps these days, I'm not too concerned about not being on the "lead platform" anymore.

Currently waiting to see how the Droid Razr Maxx HD turns out even though I told myself I wasn't going to get a device that didn't run stock Android. I would say that one of my biggest qualms with Android devices is that all of the devices I've looked at have had some kind of dealbreaker to them, but the Razr Maxx HD is looking pretty nice.

r1chard

Currently waiting to see how the Droid Razr Maxx HD turns out even though I told myself I wasn't going to get a device that didn't run stock Android. I would say that one of my biggest qualms with Android devices is that all of the devices I've looked at have had some kind of dealbreaker to them, but the Razr Maxx HD is looking pretty nice.
I'm curious - what's the dealbreaker with the Galaxy Nexus?

Ixian

I'm curious - what's the dealbreaker with the Galaxy Nexus?
There weren't any really big ones actually aside from iffy battery life and maybe the camera, but it has been about a year since it came out so I have my fingers crossed that a new Nexus device will be announced soon, and that I'll wake up in a fantastical new world where Verizon doesn't take forever approving updates.

rozay

Banned
There weren't any really big ones actually aside from iffy battery life and maybe the camera, but it has been about a year since it came out so I have my fingers crossed that a new Nexus device will be announced soon, and that I'll wake up in a fantastical new world where Verizon doesn't take forever approving updates.
This will never happen because of how google's release schedule and verizon's required software testing don't line up.

Babalu.

galaxy s3 rocks. cant find any good live wallpapers though. everything is just wayyyy to much going on and looks bad with icons

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Hey I always forgot this kind of thing.

So for 720p screens what resolution does the wallpaper have to be to fill out the whole deal?

PS: I didn't even start posting till late in that thread, and still managed a ton of posts. Who's lame.

JordanKZ

Hey I always forgot this kind of thing.

So for 720p screens what resolution does the wallpaper have to be to fill out the whole deal?

PS: I didn't even start posting till late in that thread, and still managed a ton of posts. Who's lame.

I usually get as high res image as possible (way above 1080p), go to the gallery and take a small section of wallpaper to crop on a huge image. Generally speaking, results have been great.

Henke

I've been offered a free Samsung Galaxy Note by my father who has a spare. I'm currently running a three year old iPhone 3GS on a sim-only contract (which is the same provider as the Note is activated for). It's a nice sleek phone, and I really dig Android after looking at the same OS for so long - but does anyone here use it and find it practical? Is it suitable for pockets even?

Zeppu

I've been offered a free Samsung Galaxy Note by my father who has a spare. I'm currently running a three year old iPhone 3GS on a sim-only contract (which is the same provider as the Note is activated for). It's a nice sleek phone, and I really dig Android after looking at the same OS for so long - but does anyone here use it and find it practical? Is it suitable for pockets even?

Hey it's free no? Try it out for a couple of days ;)

DrFunk

not licensed in your state

The Note can fit into pockets, but really, it's all subjective. It'd be best to just play around with it for a bit before you decide.

gcubed

Free best galaxy?!

Henke

Cheers guys. I'm assuming that from the positivity that it's a pretty decent phone. I'll give it a trial in a number of pockets and if it works then I'll make the jump over from the dark side. So to speak.

Angst

New thread, nice!

I really hope the next Nexus is something special and not just a GN with added sd-card slot.

tino

Banned
If you guys don't mind, can you fill out the main android device(s) you use? Just want to get a sense what the HERO of the AndroidGAF use as daily driver.

EVERYONE ON THIS LIST IS WINNA!
Code:
==============================================
User Name       Posts     Android 
Copernicus      1,499
Faceless Master   885
gcubed            875
tino              606     Galaxy Note, HD2
Circle T          341
SimleuqiR         338
Ashhong           335
DrFunk            331
rozay             330
Greyface          278
Divvy             253
Andrex            252
Unknown Soldier   247
Brettison         245
Bboy AJ           238
kinggroin         208
Pctx              207
Jtwo              205

SimleuqiR

If you guys don't mind, can you fill out the main android device(s) you use? Just want to get a sense what the HERO of the AndroidGAF use as daily driver.

• Galaxy Nexus
  • ASUS Transformer TF101 (contemplating getting a Nexus 7)

Prior to those two I had a Nexus One, which I should get back from my cousin as she got the S3 on T-mobile recently.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

Code:
==============================================
User Name       Posts     Android 
Copernicus      1,499
Faceless Master   885
gcubed            875
tino              606     Galaxy Note, HD2
Circle T          341
SimleuqiR         338
Ashhong           335
DrFunk            331
rozay             330
Greyface          278
Divvy             253
Andrex            252
Unknown Soldier   247
Brettison         245
Bboy AJ           238
kinggroin         208
Pctx              207
Jtwo              205

Posting from my At&t White One X running stock sense with 4.0.4 ICS.

PS: Also use a cr-48 and ubuntu at home... Linux but not Android.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I'm still waiting on my Jelly Bean update for the Nexus S 4g on Sprint. I read an article at the beginning of the week that it was being slow rolled through this week.

Hopefully I'll get it soon.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state

• Galaxy S3
  • Galaxy Note
  • Xperia S

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom