• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Circle T

Update: I took the liberty and harrased the other guys with PM and got most of them replied. Thanks. Unfortunately we have lose Jtwo to Apple and potentially Greyface too. :(

And me :(

For my personal device, I'm going back to iPhone next week. I had the first iPhone and the 3G, but skipped the 3GS. When my upgrade was up, instead of getting the iPhone 4, I went with the Captivate. I really enjoy Android, it's been a fun couple years, but I'm going to take a break for a bit. I'll still be lurking around, though, as I always have my pick of plenty of Android devices for my work phone.

That can't be right, my sources tell me Greyface is an anti-apple hating trolling troll.

so what's the big deal with Google TV?

I keep trying to find a reason to buy it, only to be shot down at the feature page.

Is it for people that don't have smart TV's? or an Xbox 360?

I'm trying to justify a purchase, someone help me do it.

The Vizio Co-Star goes a step further by making the package look good, still having trouble though.

Update: I took the liberty and harrased the other guys with PM and got most of them replied. Thanks. Unfortunately we have lose Jtwo to Apple and potentially Greyface too. :(

Code:
============================================
User Name       Posts     Android 
Copernicus      1,499     Google TV / Nexus S / N7
Faceless Master   885     Epic 4G
gcubed            875     GNexus
tino              606     Note, HD2
Circle T          341     GNexus, S3
SimleuqiR         338     GNexus, Transformer
Ashhong           335     S2
DrFunk            331     S3, Note, Xperia S
rozay             330
Greyface          278     Xperia Ray (iPhone 5 soon)
Divvy             253
Andrex            252     GNexus, N7
Unknown Soldier   247     Banned
Brettison         245     One X,
Bboy AJ           238     Note (Int.)
kinggroin         208     GNexus
Pctx              207     S2 (Skyrocket)
Jtwo              205     iPhone (had a Droid)

Samsung 14 Asus 3 HTC 2 Sony 2

hardware poll got Samsung'd!

tino

Banned
And me :(

For my personal device, I'm going back to iPhone next week. I had the first iPhone and the 3G, but skipped the 3GS. When my upgrade was up, instead of getting the iPhone 4, I went with the Captivate. I really enjoy Android, it's been a fun couple years, but I'm going to take a break for a bit. I'll still be lurking around, though, as I always have my pick of plenty of Android devices for my work phone.

Meh. Galaxy Nexus is old on the tooth now.

kehs

Banned
so what's the big deal with Google TV?

I keep trying to find a reason to buy it, only to be shot down at the feature page.

Is it for people that don't have smart TV's? or an Xbox 360?

I'm trying to justify a purchase, someone help me do it.

The Vizio Co-Star goes a step further by making the package look good, still having trouble though.

Yeah, if you already have a smart tv/media player/etc it's not as attractive.

I'm in a small minority, but I thoroughly enjoy the cable box integration. Instead of looking for tv content through channel listing, everything is sorted through genre/type instead. You can also jump to other sources from there. So if something is playing at the moment, but midway through, you can see if it's available from netflix/amazon/play/etc so you can watch it whole.

I also like the ability to send urls/youtube videos to the display if I come across something. I've been using it to post on gaf recently, and it's not to bad.

--------

Look at all that evil.

Taiwanese PC maker Acer Inc., (2353.TW) which had planned to unveil a smartphone Thursday using software from Chinese Internet firm Alibaba Group, said it is cancelling a press conference to launch the device after its existing partner, Google Inc. (GOOG), expressed concerns about the smartphone.

"Acer will continue to communicate with Google and the company still wants to launch the new smartphone based on Alibaba software," an official at Acer, who declined to be named, said.

http://www.nasdaq.com/article/acer-...smartphone-on-alibaba-software-20120913-00197

reKon

Banned
My extended battery for my G Nex came in. Am I suppose to do anything like discharge completely then charge it?

aaaannnddd the official announcement.

Sprint, the only national carrier with Truly Unlimited℠ 4G LTE data, text and calling to any mobile, will offer the feature-packed Samsung Galaxy Victory™ 4G LTE at a price that makes it an easy choice for customers who are ready to step up to their first Android™-powered smartphone. At less than $100, Galaxy Victory gives Sprint customers the benefit of Sprint 4G LTE at a very accessible price.

Galaxy Victory will be available beginning on Sunday, Sept. 16, for just $99.99 with a new line or eligible upgrade and two-year service agreement, after a $50 mail-in rebate. Galaxy Victory is powered by Android 4.0, Ice Cream Sandwich, a 1.2GHz dual-core processor, 4-inch touchscreen display and access to the Sprint 4G LTE network.

Additional features on Galaxy Victory include: 5MP camera with LED flash and video capture, 1.3MP front camera that can be used for video chat, Google Wallet™, S Voice™, S Beam, AllShare® Play, AllShare Group Cast.

Jg9u7.jpg

Soooooo my wife decided to skip on the iPhone 5 because of this adapter business and decided she will give it a go next year with the 5s since I have an upgrade in Dec 2013.

So I get to use her upgrade this year. I really want a nexus but if I'm dissapointed in the specs maybe I'll see a new superphone later on ...maybe at CES or that conference in Feb I'll jump on it...so basically I'm in the same place I was last year... I'm bad at making decisions ha.

Will probably end up waiting for the GS4

Hopefully it gets a 1080p screen.

Ixian

Think I'm going to cave and pick up a Galaxy S3 this weekend. I'm not a fan of TouchWiz, but it seems relatively simple to get a new ROM on even the Verizon version of the S3 these days (though I'm kinda worried about getting too wrapped up in all of the custom ROMs business), plus it has a fantastic camera and acceptable battery life. Now I just need the weekend to hurry up and get here. :(

tino

Banned
Soooooo my wife decided to skip on the iPhone 5 because of this adapter business and decided she will give it a go next year with the 5s since I have an upgrade in Dec 2013.

So I get to use her upgrade this year. I really want a nexus but if I'm dissapointed in the specs maybe I'll see a new superphone later on ...maybe at CES or that conference in Feb I'll jump on it...so basically I'm in the same place I was last year... I'm bad at making decisions ha.

Will probably end up waiting for the GS4

Hopefully it gets a 1080p screen.

If you have a upgrade and you wait on use it, you are basically paying your carrier every month $15-25 subsidize money for nothing. I would upgrade ASAP and sell the old phone.

If I were you I would get the iPhone 5, for good depreciation.

Look at all that evil.

Taiwanese PC maker Acer Inc., (2353.TW) which had planned to unveil a smartphone Thursday using software from Chinese Internet firm Alibaba Group, said it is cancelling a press conference to launch the device after its existing partner, Google Inc. (GOOG), expressed concerns about the smartphone.

"Acer will continue to communicate with Google and the company still wants to launch the new smartphone based on Alibaba software," an official at Acer, who declined to be named, said.

http://www.nasdaq.com/article/acer-...smartphone-on-alibaba-software-20120913-00197

I'm Almost dumb-founded that more people aren't following this news.
First Law of Business Dynamics: Companies in power tend to want to stay in power and will do evil shit to make it happen.

jey_16

Banned
So GAf, I have a question. At the moment I have a Galaxy S2 running CM10 which I'm happy with but feeling a bit envious of all the new phones I'm seeing around which brings me to some airline miles that I can use to buy stuff from this airlines online store, originally I was going to blow it on some random stuff but I saw that they are selling the S3 and the One X. Now I don't have enough miles to buy either of them so I will have to pay the difference in cash (about $150 US) but I am seriously tempted to get the One X, I know it's a bit old now but I just love the design of it compared to the S3 and spec/performance wise, it still matches it with the phones getting released now.

So what do you guys think.....should I go for it? My galaxy s2 contract finishes June next year so I will be able to get a new phone then as well.....

antipod

I'm pretty happy with my One X. Especially after having installed this Sense 4 Holo theme alongside Apex.

I'm not bothered with battery life as it works well for my daily life, still having some juice left when I go to bed at night. Probably never will need the extra space an SD cart could give as well.

The screen is absolutely magnificent but I do have one problem with it and that is that at low light it can sometime appear to be flickering. It's a bit annoying and it seems others have the same problem.

Also, the multitasking isn't that good as it has to reload almost every program when I switch back to it. Probably could be solved by rooting it and installing a custom ROM, I dunno, but I'm too lazy to bother atm... :)

Anyway, it's good enough for me until next year if not longer but to tell someone to go for it... depends on how much cheaper it is than the S3. :)

Blackhead

Redarse
That can't be right, my sources tell me Greyface is an anti-apple hating trolling troll.

haha, i'll still keep the xperia ray just for google maps. If the Galaxy Note 2 (or Nokia 920) were also coming out next week then iPhone5 wouldn't be my first choice. If the next Nexus phone comes out (with a significant increase in battery life) before the iPhone 5 gets a jailbreak then I'd probably switch back. Most likely by Winter I'll have a Nokia 920, Nexus 7 with 3G and a iPod Touch/iPad Mini

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I'm pretty happy with my One X. Especially after having installed this Sense 4 Holo theme alongside Apex.

I'm not bothered with battery life as it works well for my daily life, still having some juice left when I go to bed at night. Probably never will need the extra space an SD cart could give as well.

The screen is absolutely magnificent but I do have one problem with it and that is that at low light it can sometime appear to be flickering. It's a bit annoying and it seems others have the same problem.

Also, the multitasking isn't that good as it has to reload almost every program when I switch back to it. Probably could be solved by rooting it and installing a custom ROM, I dunno, but I'm too lazy to bother atm... :)

Anyway, it's good enough for me until next year if not longer but to tell someone to go for it... depends on how much cheaper it is than the S3. :)

Did you update to 4.0.4? That fixed multitasking for a lot of people.

kinggroin

Banned
haha, i'll still keep the xperia ray just for google maps. If the Galaxy Note 2 (or Nokia 920) were also coming out next week then iPhone5 wouldn't be my first choice. If the next Nexus phone comes out (with a significant increase in battery life) before the iPhone 5 gets a jailbreak then I'd probably switch back. Most likely by Winter I'll have a Nokia 920, Nexus 7 with 3G and a iPod Touch/iPad Mini

Oh, don't try to suck up now...

jey_16

Banned

Same price as the s3, is there that much performance difference between the 2? I prefer the design of the one x

tino

Banned
Today's FREE App of the Day on the Amazon Appstore for Android is Tetris

sounds evil. why is Google mad about Aliyun when it was Google who decided to release the Android source?

As long as legal I don't see a problem. Alibaba is huge. If they want to paddle their shit OS they need to make the hardware themselves like Amazon.

Google just force the OEM to take a side. Plus google is blocked in China, the rule of game is different over there.

http://phandroid.com/2012/09/14/iphone-5-the-lulz-dont-stop-humor/

some of these blog posts are downright embarrassing.

As long as legal I don't see a problem. Alibaba is huge. If they want to paddle their shit OS they need to make the hardware themselves like Amazon.

Google just force the OEM to take a side. Plus google is blocked in China, the rule of game is different over there.

well, it's not a shit OS, it's a forked version of Android and it's binary compatible. their app store has a bunch of pirated apps on it too... i can see why Google would make Acer choose when they see there's a bunch of pirated apps available for free on the Aliyun app store... but still, it's pretty funny!

Just google Alibaba and it took them 1600 engineers to make an Android clone? Wtf

1600 engineers and 3 years when the source is available!

tino

Banned
I think google is changing the policy to prevent potentially Samsung or Sony forking android. Alibaba is little potato, its just the 4th or 5th largest IT company in China.

Lenovo used to have a forked android based on 1.5. Now they just have a vanilla ICS with light skin.

*Looks at OP*

I have a Galaxy Nexus from Sprint, does that mean Google doesn't acknowledge it?

Also, should probably be noted in OP that Android is a Linux based OS.

antipod

Same price as the s3, is there that much performance difference between the 2? I prefer the design of the one x

Hmm, the One X is around 500 sek cheaper here... :)

Well the Samsung is faster. A friend have one and the standard web browser just feels so much smoother than any other do on the One X. Some game we both tried was both smoother and better shaded on the Samsung (that Babel Tower game), but on the contrary there are some T3 optimized games where the One X probably shines.

But personally I wouldn't chose between them now, if I was in the market for a phone, depending on speed. The One X is better looking but it annoys me a bit that the camera lens protrude as much as it does on the back. Battery on the S3 is simply much better and it seems Samsung will beat HTC with the JB update.

As said, I'm happy enough with my One X but had I been looking for a phone today I'm not sure what I've chosen. :)

kehs

Banned
So according to Android Police, the Razr M has a few preloaded apps from Verizon that can't be disabled.

Cipherr

Code:
============================================
User Name       Posts     Android 
Copernicus      1,499     Google TV / Nexus S / N7
Faceless Master   885     Epic 4G
gcubed            875     GNexus
tino              606     Note, HD2
Circle T          341     GNexus, S3
SimleuqiR         338     GNexus, Transformer
Ashhong           335     S2
DrFunk            331     S3, Note, Xperia S
rozay             330
Greyface          278     Xperia Ray (iPhone 5 soon)
Divvy             253     GNexus, N7
Andrex            252     GNexus, N7
Unknown Soldier   247     Banned
Brettison         245     One X,
Bboy AJ           238     Note (Int.)
kinggroin         208     GNexus
Pctx              207     S2 (Skyrocket)
Jtwo              205     iPhone (had a Droid)

Samsung 15 Asus 4 HTC 2 Sony 2

BOOOOOOOO! I was one short of 200 posts and nearly on the list! I want in! LEMME IN!

GSM Galaxy Nexus

So according to Android Police, the Razr M has a few preloaded apps from Verizon that can't be disabled.

standard.

edit: damn son, they WENT IN on the whole "BLUR" name

Yes, the marketing department (the old, fired marketing department?) would probably prefer if I didn't refer to the skin as MotoBlur, but I'm not going to listen. I'll make you a deal Motorola, I'll stop calling it "Blur" when you do. You guys need to update your file names, or, you know, just stop skinning Android.

RSyzA.png

ahahahhahah

bet money that the next round of motorola phones are going to mysteriously be google experience phones

Google wants more people to experience and fall in love with stock android. separate company or not, it's going to happen.

Pctx

Banned
bet money that the next round of motorola phones are going to mysteriously be google experience phones

Google wants more people to experience and fall in love with stock android. separate company or not, it's going to happen.

Honestly I want a "droid" like name that spans carriers. Verizon and their prices has made me sour on ever jumping ship from my AT&T contract since I get such a heavy discount. I want the Razr Maxx HD on AT&T or something equiv. Hopefully the Googlrola will make this happen.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.

I would love this. My favorite phones of all time have been motorola phones.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Honestly I want a "droid" like name that spans carriers. Verizon and their prices has made me sour on ever jumping ship from my AT&T contract since I get such a heavy discount. I want the Razr Maxx HD on AT&T or something equiv. Hopefully the Googlrola will make this happen.

Get the Canadian (Rogers) version =D

----------------------------------------------------

ATT best galaxy II arriving Oct. 21: http://www.bgr.com/2012/09/14/att-galaxy-note-ii-lumia-920-release-date/

kehs

Banned
Even Intel beat Verizon to Jellybean.
Intel has ported Google's Android 4.1 OS, called Jelly Bean, to work on smartphones based on the low-power Atom chips code-named Medfield.

"I'm running it," said Mike Bell, Intel's vice president and general manager of the mobile computing group, during an interview at the Intel Developer Forum in San Francisco.

Multiple Intel employees are using Medfield smartphones with Jelly Bean, Bell added.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2622...o_smartphones_with_its_chips.html#tk.rss_news

I will have a very good chuckle if the Razr M that's announced at the Intel even on the 19th is running Jellybean, while the Verizon one is shipping with ICS.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
my list:

tf300 with official 4.1
iconia a200 -4.0.3
S3 -main phone
evo- solid development device running 4.1
logitech revue-eh
evo 3d- using as a remote

kehs

Banned
Acer/Google/Alibaba getting good:

"Our partner was notified by Google that if the product runs Aliyun OS, Google will terminate its Android-related cooperation and other technology licensing with our partner," according to a statement e-mailed to CNET. "We respect and understand our partner's decision to postpone the introduction of the phone, and are dismayed by the impact this dispute has had on our partner."

CNET has contacted Google and Acer for comment. We'll update the story when we get a response.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57512418-94/alibaba-google-forced-acer-to-drop-our-new-mobile-os/

Forbes:

Aliyun has been on the market for about a year and still has only a tiny market share. But given Alibaba’s enormous presence in the Chinese market, Aliyun could become more popular quickly — if handset makers adopt it. Aliyun has an interesting heritage. It is Linux-based and is actually a derivative of Google’s Android. But since Android is open source, a company can take it and modify it into something unique, a process called “forking” — so long as the firm doesn’t want any further support from Google.

Thus, the irony that Google, an advocate for open source and “free” software, is upset about one of its “customers” (who don’t pay for the software), rejiggering Android for its own purposes. Acer already sells a lot of Android-based phones and relies on Google services such as Google Maps (hence, the leverage Google can apply to get Acer to hold back).

Acer had been scheduled to launch The Acer CloudMobile A800, based on Aliyun, earlier this week, but canceled the event at the last minute, saying that the introduction would be delayed without specifying a new launch date. Given negotiations likely going on at the moment between Google and Acer, the product may never see the light of day.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/rogerkay/2012/09/14/google-cant-have-it-both-ways/

Someone post a thread. =(

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
So seems like I am going to get the wife a one x. Yeah I know gnex is the best phone but she needs a phone with an awesome camera. Found someone who is willing to sell a near mint one x for 250. Hope they don't flake out. Once in my hands I would have to unlock it. Is there a resident one x guru on here?

Forbes article is confusing...

It is Linux-based and is actually a derivative of Google’s Android. But since Android is open source, a company can take it and modify it into something unique, a process called “forking” — so long as the firm doesn’t want any further support from Google.

soooo they can do that as long as they don't want further support from Google...

Thus, the irony that Google, an advocate for open source and “free” software, is upset about one of its “customers” (who don’t pay for the software), rejiggering Android for its own purposes. Acer already sells a lot of Android-based phones and relies on Google services such as Google Maps (hence, the leverage Google can apply to get Acer to hold back).

soooo, Acer is free to use Aliyun, but they don't get Google Services... ok, that's what Amazon does... unless it's Acer that wants to have it both ways?

and then...

Given Apple’s important victory over Samsung in the recent U.S. court case, hardware vendors are looking for possible alternatives with greater shelter from the intellectual property wars. Aliyun is one such alternative.
BUT WAIT, IT'S FORKED FROM ANDROID!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom