• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official (I guess) Wii U Demo Station impressions thread

Wii U demo stations are starting to show up at Best Buy and Gamestop across the country. Tonight I got to see and play with the Wii U a little for the first time.

You can find your local demo station on Nintendo's site here.

Notes/general first impressions follow

Gamepad:
Light. Decent screen quality, dot pitch is fine, brightness and color accuracy are decent. Control sticks and buttons work well. Lag for button presses is imperceptible on the display. Extra width takes a little getting used to, but didn't hamper gameplay at all. Tilt sensor is quite accurate.

Being that this is the key feature of the system I spent a lot of time just feeling out and I wasn't disappointed. I expect this device to be my gamepad of choice going forward. It just offers scads of options others don't and sacrifices almost nothing to get there.

Console:
Bigger than expected but not bad. About 2X the internal volume of the Wii, maybe a little more. Still way smaller than my launch PS3. Think double length, external, fat DVD drive.

Demos:
There were videos or screenshot B-rolls for just about every other launch title. It's all stuff you can easily find on the internet so we'll just skip over that.

The only playable demo was Rayman Legends. This is what you'd expect out of a Rayman Origins sequel: Pretty graphics, good controls, nice art style. They had one of the dreaded "Murphy Levels" on display and it was much more entertaining than the stupid mosquito levels in Origins. Both the touch screen and tilt sensors worked well and provided a fun change of pace. I'll be fine with these as long as it isn't the majority of the game. No way to attempt this on a competitive console as the input lag would likely break the AI character.

Post impressions as you get a chance to play. If you have questions I'll try and answer them.

zroid

Banned
I am going to LITTER this thread on Friday. PREPARE YOURSELVES

--

Interesting that they're only showing off Rayman Legends; it's not even a launch title!

mik83kuu

Banned
How was the build quality of the Gamepad? Does it have a lot of "give" when twisting or handling?

Also this is the dumbest question ever since the answer has probably been around the interwebs for while now but are the triggers analog or digital?

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
This is the thread where people will stop hating on Murphy and start embracing his awesomeness; single player and (especially) co-op.

How was the build quality of the Gamepad? Does it have a lot of "give" when twisting or handling?

Also this is the dumbest question ever since the answer has probably been around the interwebs for while now but are the triggers analog or digital?

Gamepad build quality is super tank-eriffic. I expect if you take even somewhat decent care of it it'll last 6 years easy. Really tightly screwed together.

Shoulder pads have some give in them but I'm fairly certain they're digital unfortunately.

Penguin

I am going to LITTER this thread on Friday. PREPARE YOURSELVES

--

Interesting that they're only showing off Rayman Legends; it's not even a launch title!

Yeah, I don't get their game choice either.

Would even imagine ZombiU is a better showcase for the controller, but it is M-rated

I guess nintendoland doesn't serve itself well to a single player demo

mik83kuu

Banned
Gamepad build quality is super tank-eriffic. I expect if you take even somewhat decent care of it it'll last 6 years easy. Really tightly screwed together.

Shoulder pads have some give in them but I'm fairly certain they're digital unfortunately.

Thanks :) Already preordered weeks ago but it's good to hear it's sturdy. Shame about the shoulder buttons but it's not like I'm buying a Wii U for racing games :-D

Amagon

Guess I'm raiding Best Buy this weekend. Get the fuck out of my way you 10 year old kids. I need to report my findings to GAF.

I'm intruiged by the idea the Wii-U is as big as you say it is

Well, it's not THAT big. It's a good bit smaller than a PS3 slim, but I'd guess the thermal output is roughly identical. The primary size difference is basically down to the internal PSU and HDD bay.

Basically, it's big enough that there's no reason to believe it generates less internal heat than one of those, could even be more. The fans are decent size.

The unit had locked up when I got there and the fan was on full blast. It was still way, way less than half the noise output of my launch PS3 though. I suspect this is because it was hot as heck in there and the exhaust fan was backed completely up against the backside of the demo station so the airflow was screwed. Had to find the power cable and reboot the whole thing myself.

My best buy didn't have the wii u demo station yet but they do have lots of cardboard posters taking up shelf space advertising it. Also saw lots of Wii U branded remotes and nunchucks along with Wii U branded eshop prepaid cards.

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
Rayman Legends is perfect.

1. It's 3rd Party
2. It's Exclusive
3. It appeals to kids
4. It has some hardcore appeal
5. It's gorgeous
6. It's fun

Can't wait to check out a demo station near me! YAY

Meelow

Banned
Rayman Legends is perfect.

1. It's 3rd Party
2. It's Exclusive
3. It appeals to kids
4. It has some hardcore appeal
5. It's gorgeous
6. It's fun

Can't wait to check out a demo station near me! YAY

Rayman Legends is pretty much a core title pretty much.

This is how I go

Casual = games that don't need that much thinking, example Fitness games, Dance games, etc
Core = Normal difficulty, requires thinking, Mario, Zelda, Uncharted, Halo, etc
Hardcore = Grand Theft Auto type games, really gory games, etc.

Meant to call my best buy today to see if they had one setup... I'll have to do so tomorrow... wonder if they'd be okay with me taking my full HD camcorder into the store just to take some footage <_<

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Didn't play one at a demo station, rather at the Gamestop Expo a couple months back. The controller is a lot more comfortable than I would have imagined, and the analog sticks / button placement just felt right. Didn't really have a chance to use the touch screen though, the game I was demoing was the Tanks!

Looking forward to trying out Rayman, wish they would have put out NSMBU.

I can't wait until the Best Buy over here gets a station. I would have liked to have more games available, though. Rayman still sounds like an odd choice.

BiggNife

I tried one of the Nintendoland demos with the screen controller when I was at NYCC last weekend.

Honestly? I was kinda impressed. The controller feels surprisingly light, it's comfortable, and the screen resolution is good enough that it doesn't look noticeably blurry/chunky.

Still not going to buy one at launch, but I have a pretty good feeling I'll get one down the line. Probably when Bayonetta 2 comes out.

Thoraxes

Given how surprised I was at the lightness of the controller, and reading reactions here about it; the Iwata Asks where they rejected design decisions based on grams makes 100% sense now lol.

cakefoo

Given how surprised I was at the lightness of the controller, and reading reactions here about it; the Iwata Asks where they rejected design decisions based on grams makes 100% sense now lol.
I dunno... I can tell features apart far easier than grams.

Hoodbury

Hmm, I'm not really a fan of platformers but I think I'll stop at Best Buy on the way home tonight to see if they have their station setup.

roddur

i'll try to go tomorrow. but the demo is from 11 to 6. does anyone here know BB will extend the time or not? i'm in toronto.

If you have questions I'll try and answer them.
As the touch screen uses resistive technology, did you find it required more force to register a touch, compared to the capacitive technology of most phones/tablets? And did the plastic coating feel cheap compared to glass?

ShdwDrake

Banned
Got to play with it the other day the controller is really comfy and responsive. But from what I played of Rayman legends it felt really gimmicky. I like Origins on the vita but this isn't the type of game id personally buy a console for. Once they show me a reason to get the wii u I will most likely just buy it.

Which is a pretty big change for me.

birdchili

As the touch screen uses resistive technology, did you find it required more force to register a touch, compared to the capacitive technology of most phones/tablets?
curious about this too... how hard do you need to push? is a tap of the finger going to cut it?

As the touch screen uses resistive technology, did you find it required more force to register a touch, compared to the capacitive technology of most phones/tablets? And did the plastic coating feel cheap compared to glass?

The touch screen doesn't feel cheap at all IMO. It's stiffer than the 3DS one with a glossier finish. Resistance is slightly more than your average phone/iPad ut not enough that you won't get used to it in short order.

thomaser

I've been trying to get a demo station for my (non-Gamestop/Game) store, but our dear distributor won't get any until next year sometime. At least they will get some this time - they never got demo stations for the Wii.

bridegur

I don't know why they don't have a NSMBU demo. I was looking forward to seeing how it looks on a decent TV, but the display just has a low-quality video.

A tip will suffice if it's anything like the 3DS touchscreen, which was a huge step up from the OG DS for me.
Ah yes this is what I'm concerned about. The DS had a horrible touchscreen for finger taps. Felt like I had to use the stylus for any kind of consistency/accuracy.

Just got back from checking out a demo station at Gamestop.

Gamepad impressions: The Gamepad is lot bigger than I thought, which I liked since I have big hands. WAYYYY more comfortable to hold than I thought it would be, if I didn't know otherwise I would have just though I was holding the grips to a regular controller. The screen on the controller looks good, and I had no problems using my finger on the screen in the Murphy part of the Rayman demo. Like others have said, it is also very light as well.

Rayman impressions: Fucking gorgeous. I loved the way Rayman Origins looked, but Legends just looks so much better. The demo has two levels, the first has a small part where you direct control a character for a bit, then switch over to using Murphy with AI controlled Rayman. Actually had more fun than I thought in this part, the AI was good and didn't make dumb mistakes. If Rayman died, it was always my part. The touch controls were responsive and worked well, and the gyro parts were fun too.

The second part is the Black Betty level they showed a while back, but (I should note that I played this single player) you control one of the characters running through the level instead of Murphy. I really, REALLY, liked this part. Felt a lot like the levels in Origins where you were sprinting after the chests, and again just looked beautiful.

Overall, I am super excited now to get my hands on my own Wii U. Hopefully in the coming weeks they start rolling out more and more demos. Also, I am now really bummed out that Rayman won't be around launch :(

Just got back from checking out a demo station at Gamestop.

Gamepad impressions: The Gamepad is lot bigger than I thought, which I liked since I have big hands. WAYYYY more comfortable to hold than I thought it would be, if I didn't know otherwise I would have just though I was holding the grips to a regular controller. The screen on the controller looks good, and I had no problems using my finger on the screen in the Murphy part of the Rayman demo. Like others have said, it is also very light as well.

Rayman impressions: Fucking gorgeous. I loved the way Rayman Origins looked, but Legends just looks so much better. The demo has two levels, the first has a small part where you direct control a character for a bit, then switch over to using Murphy with AI controlled Rayman. Actually had more fun than I thought in this part, the AI was good and didn't make dumb mistakes. If Rayman died, it was always my part. The touch controls were responsive and worked well, and the gyro parts were fun too.

The second part is the Black Betty level they showed a while back, but (I should note that I played this single player) you control one of the characters running through the level instead of Murphy. I really, REALLY, liked this part. Felt a lot like the levels in Origins where you were sprinting after the chests, and again just looked beautiful.

Overall, I am super excited now to get my hands on my own Wii U. Hopefully in the coming weeks they start rolling out more and more demos. Also, I am now really bummed out that Rayman won't be around launch :(

Are you on the East Coast or in that area? The Gamestops here in San Diego CA, don't have the kiosks yet.....

i'll try to go tomorrow. but the demo is from 11 to 6. does anyone here know BB will extend the time or not? i'm in toronto.
Wii U Canadian tour for Toronto:

October 19th from 11:00am-6:00pm, Best Buy-Leaside, 147 Laird Drive, Toronto
October 20th from 11:00am-6:00pm, Yonge & Dundas Square, Toronto
October 21st from 11:00am-3:00pm, Yonge & Dundas Square, Toronto
I'd imagine it's held outside of the store itself.

Glass Joe

Interesting. I figured the Black Betty level could only be played single player as Murphy, due to what we'd read before. Maybe UBI reacted to the complaints already and will give players the option of who to control in "Murphy stages."

Thanks for the other impressions as well. Good to hear that the pad feels comfortable.

Interesting. I figured the Black Betty level could only be played single player as Murphy, due to what we'd read before. Maybe UBI reacted to the complaints already and will give players the option of who to control in "Murphy stages."

Thanks for the other impressions as well. Good to hear that the pad feels comfortable.

Yeah I was really surprised too. I was all ready to do the Murphy stuff, then on screen it said "Hold zR to Run" I was actually really glad they let you play as the running character.

Minyobi

Are you on the East Coast or in that area? The Gamestops here in San Diego CA, don't have the kiosks yet.....

Don't know if you figured this out, but the Gamestop at Parkway Plaza mall in El Cajon has a kiosk set up. You might want to hit it up before people realize it exists.

Het_Nkik

Don't know if you figured this out, but the Gamestop at Parkway Plaza mall in El Cajon has a kiosk set up. You might want to hit it up before people realize it exists.

But which GameStop in Parkway Plaza? Do they still have two right around the corner from each other? Because that was dumb and hilarious.

Rayman Legends is pretty much a core title pretty much.

This is how I go

Casual = games that don't need that much thinking, example Fitness games, Dance games, etc
Core = Normal difficulty, requires thinking, Mario, Zelda, Uncharted, Halo, etc
Hardcore = Grand Theft Auto type games, really gory games, etc.
haha, very poor choice of words.

I am almost sure that the thinking involved in those games to the level of even nearly repeating what's on the screen is outside of the capabilities of most people on GAF.

It's fun that you think there's actually thinking involved in a Mario or CoD game but not in a dance game; and of course not all dancers are equal, just like how all Mario or CoD players aren't.

I guess you could say the learning curve is the main difference between casual and core titles.

But which GameStop in Parkway Plaza? Do they still have two right around the corner from each other? Because that was dumb and hilarious.

I thought they only had 1 GameStop and 1 EB Games? Anyway, I guess I'll be playing some Rayman Legends tomorrow.....gotta make sure I remember to bring my HD recorder too.

japtor

I'm intruiged by the idea the Wii-U is as big as you say it is
...I can't tell if this is a serious post or not at this point.

But for reference:
Wii according to Wikipedia: 1.73"x6.18"x8.48", 90.66"^3
Wii U according to Nintendo's specs page ("approximately"): 1.8"x6.75"x10.6", 128.79"^3

So about 40% more volume.

These same demo units have been set up at the Nintendo World store in NYC for about two weeks, and I've stopped in to play them (while also grabbing streetpasses) a handful of times. I usually end up walking up to a station where a kid is playing, grab the wiimote and show them how fun the co-op can be. Then their parents get a bit pissed because the kid is now even more determined to own one.

It seems that Ancel and Ubi focused on giving a lone player as many options as possible when not playing game with someone else, but make it painfully obvious that you really want to have at least one other player. The stages play very well, but it is slightly disappointing that whoever's playing as the main character when someone else is Murphy has to use the wiimote. Holding the B trigger to run while holding the wimmote horizontally feels awkward. I've played the very same Legends demo with a Pro Controller and it was FAR better. Forgetting all that, I really love the feel of the gamepad, and the touchscreen is certainly better than that of the DS or 3DS. The fact that it's tethered makes it slightly tougher to get a true feel for it.

Speaking with employees at the Nintendo World store about Legends being the only playable demo despite it not launching with the system, and gathered this much (which I half assumed anyway): Nintendo were aiming for the 'perfect demo' while only having one wiimote and the gamepad available. NSMB U 2p boost mode would not allow for any scenarios where the gamepad player is NECESSARY in advancing any part of a stage. In NSMB U, the gamepad gameplay would also not show off any tilt control, which Legends does. The employee also stated in no uncertain terms that Nintendo was keen on extending a healthy amount of spotlight to their pals at Ubi. I think it's mostly a smart move. Rayman will need more sales help than Mario, and raising awareness of Rayman platformers is good for everyone.

They certainly could stand to throw in a few Nintendoland demos, but whatever.

japtor

These same demo units have been set up at the Nintendo World store in NYC for about two weeks, and I've stopped in to play them (while also grabbing streetpasses) a handful of times. I usually end up walking up to a station where a kid is playing, grab the wiimote and show them how fun the co-op can be. Then their parents get a bit pissed because the kid is now even more determined to own one.
Maybe they think you're a child predator. Random older stranger hanging around the Nintendo store, walking up to kids minding their own business with the promises of showing them a good time. "Grab the wiimote and show them how fun the co-op can be" takes on a whole new meaning in that light.

Top Bottom