• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official (I guess) Wii U Demo Station impressions thread

Drago

Just tried this at Gamestop while I was trading in some games (I'm getting NSMBU for $5, lol)

First off, the GamePad. It feels great, if not a little awkward... buttons feel really nice (quite mushy, but not bad), analog sticks felt nice and firm, the triggers were much better than what I was expecting, it was MUCH lighter then I ever expected, and the white color looks really great, makes me happy I went basic. :p

The screen itself was pretty nice. The size was good, and the image quality was nice too, although it was a bit fuzzy. The finger touch on it was great, miles ahead of the 3DS screen but still behind the touch screen on my phone. I did prefer using the stylus instead of my finger, but I'm like that with almost every touchscreen in general. I was also mighty impressed with how the screen kept up almost completely in-sync with the TV. Based off of my experience, Nintendo did a great job with the screen on the GamePad, and I don't think I would have any problems using it to play games off the TV. I'm very excited to see other gameplay and media possibilities on the pad and what crazy things the developers may do with it (if they ever do... we all know how Wii went as far as 3rd parties go).

The system itself looked nice enough, smaller then I was initially expecting. It's a very basic design, but I won't be seeing the console a whole lot anyways. There's really not much to say, it's a very unexciting design.

And Rayman was PHENOMENAL. It looks gorgeous, plays fantastically, has amazing music, and playing the demo with a friend, we had a lot of fun with the multiplayer (the touch screen stuff should really stay multiplayer though). Probably the WiiU release I'm most excited for... I can't wait. :D

So, overall, it left a very good impression on me. There are still a bit of minor issues (lack of analog triggers, stylus on top of gamepad, boring system design, etc.) but overall, it was great. I'm very excited for next Sunday.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I played the Wii U for a second time today, first time being at one of the shows in Toronto a month ago. This time, as with all the in-store demo units, I was only able to play Rayman. It is of course a beautiful game, and makes some frequent use of the touch screen.. although not in any sort of awe inspiring fashion (cutting ropes, zapping enemies sometimes). It's basically just a mirror of what you see on the main screen.

The controller was lovely as ever. I don't think I'll have any issue if I must have my fingers on all the trigger buttons. I know some people thought it felt awkward. Power / TV button didn't have much press to them, but I guess they don't really matter. Everything else looked great. No issue with the Game Pad screen either. Rayman looked pretty nice on it, and it looked like the brightness was much lower than what I saw at the first event in Toronto. This one wasn't covered in fingerprints yet either.

Negatively, I don't really care for how they have the demo units setup. I'm worried that some people won't even notice Rayman is playable. You have to skip through 17 other games which are video only to get to Rayman at the end of the list, which is playable. Such an odd setup. Really looking forward to getting this thing in a week though. The Game Pad is a great controller.

We checked it 2 nights ago at a Gamestop. Exactly as I remember from the Wii U Experience event. Everything same as what's been reported but I would like to say they sure aren't cleaning the Gamepads screen. Cloudy as all hell with fingerprints :(

Medalion

Banned
I got to try the Wii U at my local Future Shop, they were demoing only the Rayman Legends experience

The game is beautiful
The controller was nice, light, and screen is beautiful imo, almost looked better than the TV in front of me

My only complaint may be more of a complaint about the demo
It felt awkward of not knowing when I am playing regularly vs having to be told what to do on the gamepad, it is a tad distracting

roddur

went to the local ebgames, and store has a demo unit. was surprised bcos local futureshop, bestbuy don't even have that.

i only just wanted to feel the controller. it felt heavier than i expected. but the controller looked smaller. i was expecting bit wider after watching nintedo's official ads.

couldn't able to see how the game looks on the gamepad, got dragged away by wife. the brief moment with the gamepad, it's sceen does look kinda blunt compare to tv.

will go again to the store to spend bit more time with it.

Edit: oh, i really really really want to play hd metroid prime on this machine.

macewank

demo unit at least got me interested enough to try to buy one.. fortunately for my checkbook, nobody has them available for launch haha.

I'm not really good at 2D platformers or anything, and I don't have much interest in Rayman.

That said, I played the Rayman Legends today. In-fucking-credible. Particularly the rock level. I swear I was grinning the whole time. It was just fun. Pure, uninhibited fun. Just... wow.

oh my god, oh my god, oh my god.

I finally got to hold that damn controller. Lightest piece of tech I've ever held..I think. Maybe I'm crazy but I swear my Galaxy II LTE is heavier...I don't know.
As per usual got to try out Rayman Legends, not to shabby. To bad the level I played was short and there were kids behind me that were ecstatic to play it, so I let them play it.
Just made me ever so much more excited to get my hands on the Wii U...*drools*

xJavonta

Banned
I got to play it the other day. I wasnt really impressed with it, but the Gamepad was sort of neat. I loved the TV Best Buy had on display to play it on though lol

Nonetheless, it's going on the bottom of my list. I'll be buying ONE next gen system and this will probably be it.

Eyothrie

Has anyone else taken issue with clicking the analog sticks and actually keeping them in a centered position when doing so? When I tried out the controller at Best Buy earlier today, the sticks would move all around instead of staying centered when clicking. The click itself just seems too stiff.

Has anyone else taken issue with clicking the analog sticks and actually keeping them in a centered position when doing so? When I tried out the controller at Best Buy earlier today, the sticks would move all around instead of staying centered when clicking. The click itself just seems too stiff.

I didn't try that. I did notice that the analogs felt...different though.

BY2K

Membero Americo
To my surprise, there was one at the Gamestop I went to to pre-order my Deluxe Wii U (went today to finally pay it in full and pre-order Black Ops 2).

First off, the game, Rayman Legends. It's. Freaking. Gorgeous! Absolutely beautiful. And no, I didn't have any trouble figuring out which screen to look at. :p

Speaking of screens, the GamePad's is big, bright and crisp as hell. I love it. I also felt it was a tad more responsive than the 3DS' touchscreen.

On to the GamePad itself. I know a lot of people said it already, but it's surprisingly light, considering the size of that monster. The buttons have a clicky-ness to them, which I like, and of course Nintendo's d-pad can't be beaten. The triggers are easy to reach (I have big hands.)

cajunator

Banned
Finally got to try it today. Everybody was lined up to get Black Ops II and I was in the corner playing the wiiU demo station.

I like the controller a lot. Felt really good and I immediately adjusted to it. It took maybe ten seconds to go from being completely unfamiliar with it to playing Rayman. The learning curve is super easy. I like the seamless transition of gameplay from screen to controller and back and it again only took about a minute to adjust to it. Nintendo really did their homework on the ergonomics and useability of the device because its incredibly comfortable.
Definitely cannot wait for this system now.
I was also able to preorder Bayonetta 2 and the guys behind the counter seemed surprised I wasnt there for Black Ops (and relieved).
Of note a family came in and saw me playing the wiiU and they asked osme questions about if it was an addon for the wii and I said it was a whole new HD system. The mother didnt seem to thrilled about the cost. The dad was actually a bit interested in the system. It makes me wonder if Nintendo did enough to market this system because people are still super confused about what it is.

RedSwirl

Y'know, holding it a second time, the GamePad actually does kinda feel big for my hands. When holding it with my fingers on all four shoulder buttons, it's a bit uncomfortable for my thumbs to reach the Dpad and face buttons. I have to move my hands lower in order for it to feel "right," to the point where I can't reach the shoulder bumpers.

It's probably because of the stick placement. We're used to just having to reach down for analog sticks (or the Dpad in the case of the 360). With the Wii U it's reversed now.

zroid

Banned
I was in a Best Buy this evening so I decided to test out the sensitivity of the touchscreen -- never paid it much mind previously.

It really is impressive how little pressure is required. By far the best resistive touchscreen I've ever beheld. In some ways capacitive screens are *too* sensitive as there's zero accommodation for accidentally touching the screen. I think the GamePad achieves the perfect balance between the extremes.

Played with one in a Target about a month ago. The pad felt great and the overall visuals of the entire display were rather nice, Unfortunately, I couldn't figure out how to load anything but a video. It was kind of disappointing, honestly. I'm not sure if it was Target's call or the Rep's call, but nothing actually was playable. Ultimately, I left pretty happy with how the pad felt, the most important piece of the puzzle, which ultimately led to my purchase of the device.

Hiltz

Played with one in a Target about a month ago. The pad felt great and the overall visuals of the entire display were rather nice, Unfortunately, I couldn't figure out how to load anything but a video. It was kind of disappointing, honestly. I'm not sure if it was Target's call or the Rep's call, but nothing actually was playable. Ultimately, I left pretty happy with how the pad felt, the most important piece of the puzzle, which ultimately led to my purchase of the device.

Yeah, I noticed the lack of playable demos at two of the local Target store demo units as well.

Berg

It really is impressive how little pressure is required. By far the best resistive touchscreen I've ever beheld. In some ways capacitive screens are *too* sensitive as there's zero accommodation for accidentally touching the screen. I think the GamePad achieves the perfect balance between the extremes.

That has always bothered my about my smartphone, it always picks up accidental presses.
The wiiU controller comfort was what I wanted to know about, thats why I went to test it, and was sold on it.

That has always bothered my about my smartphone, it always picks up accidental presses.
The wiiU controller comfort was what I wanted to know about, thats why I went to test it, and was sold on it.

That's actually a good point I haven't really thought of. It definitely does seem like a better resistive screen than the 3DS and DS. It seems to register inputs with ease and rarely have I had to 'double-tap' on things before.

Top Bottom