• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Outlines Origins Usage on Wii U [Nintendo Network ID confirmed]

Penguin

EA had highlighted some of the functions of the Wii U online service on their website while detailing what Origins gets from the console.

If you sign up to play EA games through a Nintendo Wii U console, your Nintendo account information will be provided to EA so that we can establish an Origin Account for you. You need an Origin Account to play EA’s titles online. By signing up to play EA’s titles, you agree that limited user account information can be transferred to EA. Information transferred to EA includes your Mii information, email address, Nintendo Network ID, friend list, country, language and date of birth but does not include credit card number or other financial account information.

For comparison's sake, here's what they note for the PS3 and 360 as well.

If you sign up to play EA games through Microsoft's Xbox LIVE Service, Microsoft will provide your Xbox LIVE user account information to EA so that we can establish an Origin Account for you. You need an Origin Account to play EA's Xbox LIVE titles. By signing up to play EA's Xbox LIVE titles, you agree that Microsoft can transfer your user account information to EA. Information transferred from Microsoft to EA includes your Gamertag, email address, state or province, country, language and age but does not include credit card number or other financial account information.

If you sign up to play EA games through a PlayStation®3 system, your Sony Entertainment Network account information will be provided to EA so that we can establish an Origin Account for you. You need an Origin Account to play EA's titles online. By signing up to play EA's titles, you agree that limited user account information can be transferred to EA. Information transferred to EA includes your name, email address, online ID, country, language and date of birth but does not include credit card number or other financial account information.

http://www.ea.com/privacy-policy

Mrbob

Less than a month from launch and we are still speculating on the Wii U online capabilities. Just release the info already, Nintendo. This is getting beyond annoying.

So it's confirmed now? Downloadable games locked to account, instead of console? That's nice.

That was confirmed months ago.

Less than a month from launch and we are still speculating on the Wii U online capabilities. Just release the info already, Nintendo. This is getting beyond annoying.

Gearing up for a Nintendo Direct. It's dumb, but that's how they filter their information now.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
LOL I hope most people aren't going to act surprised at Mii integration. I'd expect when you make your Nintendo Network account, it's going to tell you to make a Mii that's attached to it. Same as how avatars work on Xbox Live now, really.

Edit: I would not be surprised if underneath your NNID name, there's still a numeric "friend code". The real problem with that system was never the fact that there was a number. Inside the system, your XBL tag and PSN name are just strings of numbers too, you know.

The REAL problem was always that Nintendo did not allow people to send friend requests through the system itself, to other users. That those people could then accept and reciprocate. This was all because Nintendo seemed terrified of building an online system where "strangers can message your children on their Nintendo family entertainment unit". If you recall, even the official Nintendo forums (while they lasted) had warnings on them: do not post and exchange your Friend Code on the forum where the public can see it. They even parroted an official Nintendo PR line about "only exchanging friends codes to people you know in person". Nintendo distanced themselves as far as possible from pop culture myths and fears about the Internet.

Anyway, the entire setup led to the awkward, impossible to maintain, situation of everyone having to use friends code exchange threads, google spreadsheets, and entire websites devoted just to letting people synch up. It was indeed ridiculous.

It might actually be a benefit if the NNID system allows you to have both a name, and a visible account number - then allows you to pick whatever name you want even if it's a duplicate. Some online systems are using this more frequently - pick whatever name you wish, then have an ID number attached that clarifies who you are. The big thing though, is if the network allows for normal friend requests and friends list, direct friend messaging (we know it does that already at least), and so forth.

What I'm expecting, is when they reveal the system in full there's going to be a giant setup pane of parental controls that goes out of its way to emphasis what parents should help their children set up their Nintendo account. Which lets parents turn off manual acceptance of friend requests and receiving messages from people who are not on your friends list. Wouldn't be surprised to see a queue where a parent must input a PIN number to then authorize friend requests that have been sent to Lil' Timmy.

1-D_FTW

If they're (publishers) going to make everyone sign up for all these 3rd party services, they could at least start supporting cross platform online play.

Shepard

Well, it won't be there in its full form when Wiiu launches, so I doubt even Nintendo knows for sure all the features it will have (at launch).

If they're (publishers) going to make everyone sign up for all these 3rd party services, they could at least start supporting cross platform online play.

Don't think it's up to them. I'm sure EA would love to have PS3/360/WiiU players playing together.

Well, it won't be there in its full form when Wiiu launches,

Wait what?

Fantastical

Death Prophet

But what if competitors want to copy Nintendo's online features?
lol

TunaLover

Nintendo Direct soon.

But yeah, it's fucking absurd.
*sigh* At this point I'm resigned to learn most of the console details when I buy it. I still don't know if you can use analog audio with HDMI video at the same time, or how Wii mode is going to work (VC/WiiWare transfers).

Top Bottom