• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Outlines Origins Usage on Wii U [Nintendo Network ID confirmed]

thefro

Those two bolded ease just about all of my concerns, I wonder what feature of the online they are trying to hide from the competition. If it is just like XBL, PSN, or Steam from what we have heard already, why haven't we seen more?

Probably because Nintendo seems to throw this OS stuff together at the last minute.

Haunted

Not content with just getting XBL accounts hacked?
Don't worry, EA has you covered, FIFA Wii U doesn't have the Ultimate Team stuff.

Probably because Nintendo seems to throw this OS stuff together at the last minute.
I think Nintendo thinks long and hard about every aspect of this.

And then they keep quiet about and only tell everyone else at the last minute and no one knows what's up and holy shit Nintendo what are you doing why didn't you ask anyone else before this and now it's too late to change this stuff, really now Nintendo that was a pretty dumb thing to do and you just did it again.

I wonder what feature of the online they are trying to hide from the competition. If it is just like XBL, PSN, or Steam from what we have heard already, why haven't we seen more?

The whole hiding from the competition excuse is utter nonsense. They're launching next month, the others late next year at the earliest.

Stewox

Banned
NNID could be console unique for punishment purposes, maybe theres extra chars as subcode for account differentation, while still realizing its the same console.

The Hermit

tumblr_ma75srb6CQ1qhn549.jpg

lbf.gif
lbf.gif
lbf.gif
lbf.gif
lbf.gif

It's probably the pot, but I almost fell of my chair with this img!

LuchaShaq

Banned
Anyone buying a wii U and any online EA games I encourage you to make a free mail account just for spammy companies like this. Even though I opt out every time/have on their site EA still is responsible for a gigantic jump of spam. Luckily I signed up with my spam email account.

The whole hiding from the competition excuse is utter nonsense. They're launching next month, the others late next year at the earliest.

If MS and Sony copied anything at all from the WiiU, I can promise you that WiiU online features would be dead freaking last on that list. I'd be surprised if the WiiU matches even Xbox1 online features.

When people go on about Live's features...its pretty much a friends list, some shared info...and Downloadble Content...unless am missing something?

Just, whilst the Miiverse might not function in the best way from day 1 (though we have no idea); am confused as to how it wouldn't have these features...when Nintendo has already announced them...

Am I missing something big?

PetrCobra

I don't care if a 16-digit code is a part of my gamer ID. That way, it will be unique and I can still use that username which was already chosen by some bastard somewhere who registered before me.

Edit: of course, I hope that I can just tell my Friends what my username is and what numbers are at the end of the code and they can find me that way

When people go on about Live's features...its pretty much a friends list, some shared info...and Downloadble Content...unless am missing something?

Just, whilst the Miiverse might not function in the best way from day 1 (though we have no idea); am confused as to how it wouldn't have these features...when Nintendo has already announced them...

Am I missing something big?

Cross game chat, but I don't really understand the massive praise XBL has. Is it just the fact that Nintendo's online is so shitty that XBL gets put on a pedestal?

I think Nintendo thinks long and hard about every aspect of this.

And then they keep quiet about and only tell everyone else at the last minute and no one knows what's up and holy shit Nintendo what are you doing why didn't you ask anyone else before this and now it's too late to change this stuff, really now Nintendo that was a pretty dumb thing to do and you just did it again.

So much truth.

Cross game chat, but I don't really understand the massive praise XBL has. Is it just the fact that Nintendo's online is so shitty that XBL gets put on a pedestal?

There will be a lot of people sad/angry/disappointed if this doesn't happen, right? Because I don't think it will.

Am not really sure. Cross game chat is a good function though. PSN can't do it I know that.
XBL is good at what it does - thats for sure, but its still not comparable to the PC and so far the WiiU is sounding like it does whats needed.

There will be a lot of people sad/angry/disappointed if this doesn't happen, right? Because I don't think it will.

We'll see I suppose; I doubt it - but how voice/video works with the gamepad in game we have no idea. We don't know how the OS works; but we can say now (unless Nintendo has 100% failed to represent the facts) is that you won't be using your third party peripheral mic to do so; it seems to be nearly 100% in game.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
EA had highlighted some of the functions of the Wii U online service on their website while detailing what Origins gets from the console.

EA said:
If you sign up to play EA games through a Nintendo Wii U console, your Nintendo account information will be provided to EA so that we can establish an Origin Account for you. You need an Origin Account to play EA’s titles online. By signing up to play EA’s titles, you agree that limited user account information can be transferred to EA. Information transferred to EA includes your Mii information, email address, Nintendo Network ID, friend list, country, language and date of birth but does not include credit card number or other financial account information.
http://www.ea.com/privacy-policy

What if your console isn't online? Does this mean we won't be able to play EA games?

Steph_E.

It's not a case of hiding the online system from the competition, it's a case of they haven't started coding it yet, so they don't know what it will be like. They have plenty of time to finish it before mid November, though - then they are going to start coding the main OS.

I am only half joking. I think within Nintendo they treat things on a need to know basis, then don't tell some of the people who need to know. In the last Iowata asks it was said that Iowata announced NFC as a feature of the Wii U, but the people designing the system didn't know anything about it.

Also, I think they are only just finishing the code, and until it is finished they can't say what it will be. They know where they are heading but whether they will arrive by launch date is a different matter. If they announce a feature now, but it doesn't actually appear until a system upgrade a year from now it doesn't look good, does it?

Has nobody here played an online Wii EA game then?

Those games had online modes handled by EA, so much so that the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection logo was absent from the box.

In those games, you had to sign in with an EA ID.

Even now, you can sign into Origin using your PSN ID. Try it.

When's the next Nintendo Direct supposed to be?

It's not a case of hiding the online system from the competition, it's a case of they haven't started coding it yet, so they don't know what it will be like. They have plenty of time to finish it before mid November, though - then they are going to start coding the main OS.

I am only half joking. I think within Nintendo they treat things on a need to know basis, then don't tell some of the people who need to know. In the last Iowata asks it was said that Iowata announced NFC as a feature of the Wii U, but the people designing the system didn't know anything about it.

Also, I think they are only just finishing the code, and until it is finished they can't say what it will be. They know where they are heading but whether they will arrive by launch date is a different matter. If they announce a feature now, but it doesn't actually appear until a system upgrade a year from now it doesn't look good, does it?

Have you ever done software development? If you're less than a month before go live and you're not sure of the specifics of your code, you're fucked. At this point in the dev life cycle, Nintendo should be doing QA to make sure everything is working properly, not changing anything within the project scope.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
You will, just not their multiplayer. *I think*

Eh. I just don't like this trend. Games are getting integrated so much with the internet now that it's becoming detrimental to the retro market. I'd still like to pop in an old game and have it work. If they start forcing an internet connection into games it's going to limit their longevity.

Steph_E.

When's the next Nintendo Direct supposed to be?

Have you ever done software development? If you're less than a month before go live and you're not sure of the specifics of your code, you're fucked. At this point in the dev life cycle, Nintendo should be doing QA to make sure everything is working properly, not changing anything within the project scope.

Me do software development?. Not really. My post was a bit tongue in cheek, but is it possible they have not got everything working as they want it yet, and if they don't get certain areas working in time, can they defer them to a future OS upgrade?

sakipon

If IDs are unique then I hope Nintendo open up registrations to everyone globally at the same time.

Hadn't even thought about this. I'd suppose it has to be done via Wii U by creating the Mii and such? Or would Nintendo manage to open it up via web or Wii even? Many of their features aren't day 1...

Man, NA folk might get to hoard all the nice names.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Good to know that even though publishers are free to use their own online systems to an extent they can still gain access to Nintendo's and so not require you to re-add friends and what not. Although there will probably be some that do require that because they didn't bother implementing the fetch, lol... I'd hope however that communication can be both ways, or that they will also keep some Nintendo system functionality going while playing their games, so that friends added while playing EA games can also be taken by Nintendo's system and by extention all the others fetching from it. Well, I guess the logical thing would be to not add their own separate friend adding system at all, just always only fetch from Nintendo ID, and always keep that part of it active for adding more people, then fetching them again...

Me do software development?. Not really. My post was a bit tongue in cheek, but is it possible they have not got everything working as they want it yet, and if they don't get certain areas working in time, can they defer them to a future OS upgrade?

If they've only have a month to go and certain features aren't implemented yet in code, they would have removed it from the scope of the project by now. There's no way with less than a month from the US launch, they'd be still implementing features. They'd have to have everything complete before 11/18/2012 because they'd have to ship the consoles from foxconn (or wherever else they're being made) probably to a distribution warehouse in the US, then from there to the retailers. Not to mention the time needed for quality assurance and additional testing from any issues found during QA before the HW is even on it's way to the distro center.

If certain features didn't make the cut, it's more than likely currently being developed right now, and scheduled for a roll out on another date.

Hadn't even thought about this. I'd suppose it has to be done via Wii U by creating the Mii and such? Or would Nintendo manage to open it up via web or Wii even? Many of their features aren't day 1...

Man, NA folk might get to hoard all the nice names.

I call OctoG123!

Nah, I'll take Batman or something sweet like that.

It sounds like pretty much the same dealio that they do with the 360 and PS3?
The question is if Nintendo Network ID is alphanumerical or merely numerical (and if we can assign a searchable alphanumerical ID to the latter).

Datschge

Information transferred to EA includes your Mii information, email address, Nintendo Network ID, friend list, country, language and date of birth but does not include credit card number or other financial account information.

I sure hope Nintendo tells its users such details before they agree. Otherwise I'd likely only use throwaway Miis, throwaway email, fake friends, fake country, fake language and fake date of birth.

I sure hope Nintendo tells its users such details before they agree. Otherwise I'd likely only use throwaway Miis, throwaway email, fake friends, fake country, fake language and fake date of birth.

It sounds like the same thing EA does on the 360, which does give you notice before any information is given to EA if I remember correctly.

Erethian

Kind of thought we already knew this was happening to both 3DS and Wii U. Just need a confirmation that you can send friends request. ND here we go.

Not the specifics, but yeah, Iwata has freely talked in shareholder meetings about their plans for the Nintendo Network and about how they're creating an online network that will be used in the Wii U, all future Nintendo devices, and be more fully integrated into the 3DS.

As to why they haven't gone into extensive detail on how it's all going to work, the fact is they can leave it until shortly before the launch of the system and it has no material impact whatsoever upon how well the system sells.

I've notice many online news outlets reporting this like this is the first time Origin is being forced for online on consoles. Did I miss something?

AzaK

i never had a problem with friendcodes, only had to enter em in once.

I don't have a major problem with the either to be honest, they just need to

Not be tied to the actual hardware.
Allow me to friend people without a two way invitation. i.e. A notification system.

Top Bottom