• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Forum Rumor] Durango Beta has 2 APUs. Console and Controller plastered with stripes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
need to know more about things it doesn't feature, ie, blocked used games. Couldn't give two fucks about specs if that turns out to be true

VanWinkle

And would dual APU's mean it has more power than the PS4?

Both APU's wouldn't necessarily be the same power, right? And one could be relegated to non-gaming tasks or Kinect 2.0 (more likely). PS4 also has special cores for non-gaming tasks, though not a whole APU. I'm betting that, if this is true, it's for the new Kinect.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Two APUs makes no sense, even if they were planning on doubling up on certain things. The whole point of an APU is that everything is contained on one chipset so it can communicate easier, having more than one defeats the purpose. On top of that, I've heard that Durango is an SoC instead of an APU since you can't embed eSRAM on an APU.

I still think Durango will end up with higher clock speeds of some sort than rumors have stated but I don't see dual APUs happening. The zebra controller bit is interesting though.

Dual APU's definitely means they have one for Kinect, background stuff, etc. They aren't going to throw 2 of the exact same APU's in there that would be dumb.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Dual APU's definitely means they have one for Kinect, background stuff, etc. They aren't going to throw 2 of the exact same APU's in there that would be dumb.

The more I think about it the more this seems to make sense. They could have a second, low power one for the OS/Kinect features and stuff which would free up the processing power of the other one quite a bit. It could have the same specs as we've heard before, since that's what's relevant to game performance, but more of that power could go to the games.

Codeblew

I believe in Reiko.

you got banned for 1 day??????

But my sony fanboy instincts doesn't want this to be true. If Durango does have 2 APU's, how much more powerful would it be compared to PS4?

Oh shat the groundhog saw its shawdow. Rumor is false. Yes!

It would have more flops but the real question is how efficient it would be running two GPU's in xfire mode.

USC-fan

Banned
I would be shocked if it 2 mirror apu. Really doesnt make much sense.

Everything I have read about the 2 APU design was a lower power "app" apu and then the higher power main APU.

Really an 2 apu system 1.2 tf system looks good on paper but in practice it would be terrible to code for. No way MS goes with this system. Seem just silly.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
So what would this mean for gaming performance?

Less system resources would be dedicated to OS/Kinect stuff so the main CPU/GPU, possibly even RAM, can focus on games.

Reiko said:
How far back the "APU and a discrete GPU" rumor went?
A long way. I believe it started with some of Rigby's speculation on PS4.

If it's two APUs with one being 'lesser' than the other, perhaps it's to ensure remaining competitive with the PS4, rather than having the 'powerful' APU bogged down with all the other background tasks they have planned.

iceatcs

Yeah I still stick my speculation - Dual system, ARM and AMD - two different systems - one for deadly cheap Xbox (or xbox tablet), and other is Xbox Pro - Pro version have both SOC for compatible purpose.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.

Reiko

Banned
It doesn't, you are imagining things. The Sony patent is real, it was the source of early PS4 rumors (which are wrong). The latest one was invented on the internet by forum dolts. They are not related other than the invention might be based on the patent. You need to stop seeing patterns where none exist.

http://www.ted.com/talks/michael_shermer_the_pattern_behind_self_deception.html

So how did this forum dolt accurately guess the striped controller and color before Kotaku?

AgentP

So how did this forum dolt accurately guess the striped controller and color before Kotaku?

Who cares? Again, you are stringing bits of information into a reality you want to happen rather than looking at the data objectively. The stripes are irreverent to the dual GPU info. The most likely scenario is the poster read or knew about the same info and then threw in some made up stuff for April Fools. He has not posted anything else on the OT. Even if this story ends up being true, it is not rational for you to believe it now (evidence is far to weak, along with the date), other than for confirmation bias. You even used the fact that Proeilte said it was false as evidence that it is true, typical conspiracy theory stuff.

Reiko

Banned
Who cares? Again, you are stringing bits of information into a reality you want to happen rather than looking at the data objectively. The stripes are irreverent to the dual GPU info. The most likely scenario is the poster read or knew about the same info and then threw in some made up stuff for April Fools. He has not posted anything else on the OT. Even if this story ends up being true, it is not rational for you to believe it now (evidence is far to weak, along with the date), other than for confirmation bias. You even used the fact that Proeilte said it was false as evidence that it is true, typical conspiracy theory stuff.

Confirmation bias again?

Okay.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Hoax?

New post from BD, who made the post in the OP:

BD said:
我只想对那位转帖Neogaf的仁兄说一句:你的智商是负的。
下次我会说Durango有4个APU,你就不会信了。

Translation:

To the guy who reposted on neogaf, you must have negative intelligence.

The next time I do this, I'll say the Durango has 4 APUs instead, so you'll not believe it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accelerated_processing_unit

not sure why people assume "dual APU" automatically has to mean two of the same type of APU. It's a generic term, not a specific branding.

Seems like the most likely answer is that the 2nd one is used for background tasks, 360 BC, the low power mode, etc. But regular game developers will just focus on the "real" one.

Or it could be the Sega Saturn 2. Whee!

Reiko

Banned
The PS4 does not have DDR5 nor even DDR4 ram. It has GDDR5, which is based on DDR3 technology. I wonder if this is what people actually believe? Or maybe he was being sarcastic?

It was probably a fluke, but I don't even think he wanted to be taken seriously.

People in this thread going nuts. Calm down! It clearly says "forum rumor" in the goddamn title. There's high probability it's false, but you don't have to get so riled up.

Raven77

"The Xbox 8finity will cost...$599 US Dollars!"

Also I love how people immediately dismiss this cause it was on April 1. So that must mean EVERY news story must have been fake too. You do realize some of the most accurate leaks lately have come from China. The Chinese leaker who posted BF 4 information months ago nailed it on several points, same goes for some the PS4 info that was floating around.

Not saying I necessarily believe this, but hey, its a rumor.

Hoax?

Translation:

The next time I do this, I'll say the Durango has 4 APUs instead, so you'll not believe it.

Okay wait, is this a confirmation to it being made up? This is getting quite confusing.

Hoax?

Translation:

LMAO, all of my lulz. ALL OF THEM! I think this should be a grand lesson on senselessly reguirgitating everything you read.

i-Lo

Hoax?

Translation:

Oh oh lol.

AgentP

And if you're wrong?

Wrong about what? I've made no claims other than peddling unconfirmed and unsubstantiated forum rumor is unhealthy. I am wrong all he time, that is part of science. I was wrong about the PS4 having 8GB, I claimed based on the data I had that it was too expensive. I pushed back in the same way on the PS4 2Ghz "overclock" rumor along with many crazy theories OnQ has pushed.

Can I be wrong on this? Of course, I'm not a soothsayer, I'm claiming the evidence is complete bullshit and believing and pushing the rumor is nothing more than fanboy wishful thinking. IF there was a real source and a credible outlet publishing it I'd be all over the news. Right now we just have another crazy theory, they seem to pop up weekly around here and your name is attached in one way or another to all of them. It's not personal, I just hate BS.

Edit: Wow, so much happened while I was typing, lol. And yes he was calling you out, as he should. No one else was going to make a thread based on so little and risk their reputation, you made the call because you like the story.

Lol the chinese poster reply. Damn.

People just need to get with the program, MS simply isn't playing for keeps when it comes to hardware power.

Reiko

Banned
Wrong about what? I've made no claims other than peddling unconfirmed and unsubstantiated forum rumor is unhealthy. I am wrong all he time, that is part of science. I was wrong about the PS4 having 8GB, I claimed based on the data I had that it was too expensive. I pushed back in the same way on the PS4 2Ghz "overclock" rumor along with many crazy theories OnQ has pushed.

Can I be wrong on this? Of course, I'm not a soothsayer, I'm claiming the evidence is complete bullshit and believing and pushing the rumor is nothing more than fanboy wishful thinking. IF there was a real source and a credible outlet publishing it I'd be all over the news. Right now we just have another crazy theory, they seem to pop up weekly around here and your name is attached in one way or another to all of them. It's not personal, I just hate BS.

Relax. It's April not long before we get real info.

Whether BD is trolling or not. Obviously that controller info is not a troll.

And cross forum trolling is pathetic.

statham

He made the first post that atleast has some truths, he knows something. I think this is war. Forum vs Forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom