• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Activision to only invest in mega-blockbuster franchises/opportunities next-gen

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
By invest I think they mean "spend more than 8-12 months like we do on our licensed games".

SeekingAlpha said:
Michael J. Olson - Piper Jaffray Companies, Research Division

So you mentioned that your focus is doing a few things exceptionally well, and as we enter the next cycle, depending on how you would define major franchises, you'll have 4 or so major franchises that generate the majority of your profits. What are your expectations for what that number will be during the middle innings of the next cycle? And then if I can kind of sneak in other one, the Wii has historically been relatively important for -- platform for Skylanders. Is there potential for Skylanders to face some headwinds versus last year, due to the weakness of Wii U?

Dennis Durkin - Chief Financial Officer

I guess I can take this. We aren't going to give specific guidance on new launches outside of the ones that we've talked about in our overall disclosure and what's in the investment portfolio inside Activision Publishing and inside of Blizzard. So I think -- but when you look -- so we do concentrate on a few things and making sure those scale and that's driven the margin structure that we have inside the business, which is really, really great. But I would say, when we look at new investments, we aren't looking to do new investments unless they provide the kind of -- same kind of scale and investment return that we have in our existing businesses. So I think, even as you look to next-generation, we'll still be very focused in terms of the investments we're making regarding new franchises. Eric, why don't you take the second one relative to the Skylanders and the Wii platform?

Eric Hirshberg - Chief Executive Officer of Activision Publishing, Inc

The main thing to look at is first -- we've been receiving similar questions about the weakness of the Wii since the beginning of the Skylanders franchise. And Skylanders has done great both before the Wii U and has done great after the Wii U. Obviously, a growing installed base of family friendly consoles would be a benefit. And console prices and sales are one of the risks and one of the issues that we articulated for the fourth quarter. That said, we've done well despite weaknesses for both the Wii and the Wii U and seeing the Wii U take off would be great, but remains to be seen.
Source: http://seekingalpha.com/article/141...-results-earnings-call-transcript?part=single

you'll have 4 or so major franchises

So Destiny, Call of Duty, Skylanders, and what else? Does that 4 include Blizzard titles? How is this sustainable? Eventually they'll have to make something new.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So Destiny, Call of Duty, Skylanders, and what else? Does that 4 include Blizzard titles? How is this sustainable? Eventually they'll have to make something new.

World of Warcraft and Diablo are their other two currently since Destiny isn't out.

Haunted

As one franchise is exploited into the ground, another one is created.

Guitar Hero dies, Skylanders appears.

JDSN

Banned
1. Create focus-tested franchise or buy one from some little studio.
2. Make a shitload of sequels.
3. Fire people that helped create the series.
4. Put the series to sleep.
5. Repeat step 1.

Sounds like an incredibly risk. Future titles are going to have unrealistic goals. Early next gen tittles won't have the user base..

All I can say is,

"WHaaaaa?"

hatchx

Banned
I can see next generation going really, really well, or really, really badly.

Seems like everything is coming down to such a gamble, and I'm not sure if Indy's will be able to save it.

I miss B games. The AAA game used to just be a great game, now it's all this budget/marketing stuff.

Acheteedo

Destiny is gonna get dropped so hard if it "only" sells 5 million units or so. I'd be worried if I was at Bungie.

breakfuss

This is what movie studios and record labels do, too. Perhaps it's just the cost of being in the big leagues. The indies and boutique studios can still co-exist, guys.

rrs

So yet another publisher keeping the same awful trends of now going into next gen. Can't wait for the nightmare that is the next generation.

That's like asking what Nintendo would do when Mario profits dry up
No, as Nintendo has shown pretty effective brand management and has managed to have franchises last 20+ years and still maintain its popularity. Activision has shown that they run their megafranchises into the ground such as Spiderman, tony hawk, and guitar hero. Although Activision has also shown a good ability in finding the next big game.

QaaQer

This is what movie studios and record labels do, too. Perhaps it's just the cost of being in the big leagues. The indies and boutique studios can still co-exist, guys.

Not at all. Almost all large movie studios and record labels serve all kinds of demographics, all kinds.

Say that to Mario/Zelda/Donkey Kong/Kirby etc

Mario has done well by being fairly different between games. Zelda to a certain extent as well. Donkey Kong and Kirby have not done nearly as well. Additionally look at things like Star Fox. So doesn't refute my point at all.

Top Bottom