• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft teases ultrapowerful next-gen Xbox — and maybe a handheld

vpavic_201103_4275_0163.jpg

Microsoft is teasing the potential for unique Xbox hardware in the future and a powerful next-gen console. Four previously exclusive Xbox games are officially coming to the PS5 and Nintendo Switch soon, and Microsoft wants to reassure Xbox fans that it’s still very much invested in the future of its platform and hardware.

In an official Xbox podcast today, Xbox president Sarah Bond teased that Microsoft will deliver “the largest technical leap” with the next-generation Xbox:

We’ve got more to come. There’s some exciting stuff coming out in hardware that we’re going to share this holiday. We’re also invested in the next-generation roadmap. What we’re really focused on there is delivering the largest technical leap you will have ever seen in a hardware generation, which makes it better for players and better for creators and the visions that they’re building.
Speaking to The Verge, Microsoft Gaming CEO Phil Spencer went a step further, teasing that the Xbox hardware teams are thinking about building different kinds of hardware. “I’m very proud of the work that the hardware team is doing, not only for this year, but also into the future,” says Spencer. “[We’re] really thinking about creating hardware that sells to gamers because of the unique aspects of the hardware. It’s kind of an unleashing of the creative capability of our hardware team that I’m really excited about.”

Perhaps that unique hardware is an Xbox handheld. “We see a lot of opportunity in different types of devices, and will share specifics on our future hardware plans as soon as we are ready,” says Microsoft in an Xbox blog post today.
There have been persistent rumors of an Xbox handheld, and Spencer has been liking posts on X that mention the possibility of this hardware. “I’m a big fan of handhelds,” says Spencer. “I’m a big fan, but nothing to announce.” He does admit that there’s still a lot of work to do on the Windows side for handheld gaming PCs. “One of the weak points in the experience on a ROG or the Lenovo [Legion Go] is Windows,” says Spencer. “How Windows works on controller input only on that kind of DPI, on a smaller eight- or seven-inch screen. That’s a real design point that our platform team is working with Windows to make sure that the experience is even better.”

Before the next-generation Xbox and potentially even a handheld, it sounds like the leaked discless Xbox Series X and new controller might still be a thing. “We have a robust and innovative multi-year hardware roadmap including more console and controller options for you this holiday,” says Microsoft in a blog post. “Xbox players will know that their games are built to maximize the latest features of our hardware and services.”

Last edited:

reinking

Gold Member
I am probably done with Xbox hardware after this generation unless.... ... they come out with a compelling handheld/hybrid that is open to let me play other PC games on it too. If it is an Xbox OS and I can't play other PC games, there will be other handhelds available.

*I am only "done" because I have a PC, nothing against Microsoft Gaming.

Last edited:

killatopak

As long as the handheld has access to Steam AND physical cartridge like the Switch, I’m willing to look into it.

Anything else and I can just get a Steamdeck or its equivalent and access the same thing.

And they will still waste all that power on PS5 looking games running at 60fps in 2030. Cross gen trash.
That's the point. It will run games better, much like how Nvidia 40xx cards run current gen games better than their previous ones.

It's meant for the people who still don't want to commit to building a PC, but still want a bit of luxury. People here will call it dumb, but it's a niche that exists.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
That's the point. It will run games better, much like how Nvidia 40xx cards run current gen games better than their previous ones.

It's meant for the people who still don't want to commit to building a PC, but still want a bit of luxury. People here will call it dumb, but it's a niche that exists.
I want nothing to do with PS5 looking games the instant Xbox 2/PS6 come out, we should be expecting a generational leap. Not current gen games at 60fps being passed as "next gen"

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Coming from the imbeciles running the show now, this is snake oil. Why do they even exist as a platform holder and just not stick to SW.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
They really can't help themselves with their hyperbole can they?

All they have now is promises, but unfortunately for them people have probably have given up believing them.

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

it’s baffling to me that Phil Spencer has managed to lead two utter failures of generations in a row now (this one he’s entirely responsible for) yet is being given yet another chance 🤦🏼‍♂️ do they really think third time’s going to be the charm under this existing leadership group?

Sarah is likely his replacement.

Tsaki

lol The leaps are getting smaller and smaller. We would be lucky to get a 40 tflops console in 2027. Thats less than 4x leap. These people need to understand how to set expectations.
If they count the difference in teraflops and not how many times stronger it is, then they can technically be correct. But this also confirms the 'next-gen by 2026 rumours' were false.

Hollowpoint5557

A Fucking Idiot
When they say that I hope they are talking about CPU. Go all out and make it able to do physics and A.I. calculations that we wouldn't dream of. Enough of chasing resolution at the cost of everything else.

I want nothing to do with PS5 looking games the instant Xbox 2/PS6 come out, we should be expecting a generational leap. Not current gen games at 60fps being passed as "next gen"
I'm sorry but you're going to have to find a way to deal with it like we all have. This was inevitable the minute we saw the following: 4k resolution, raytracing, Switch clones/successors, mobile ports, and budget increases.

The industry is shifting again and you will have to keep up or be left behind. There's nothing wrong with either as the latter helps you catch up on your giant back log.

it’s baffling to me that Phil Spencer has managed to lead two utter failures of generations in a row now (this one he’s entirely responsible for) yet is being given yet another chance 🤦🏼‍♂️ do they really think third time’s going to be the charm under this existing leadership group?
Nah. The disastrous One generation launch plan was Mattrick, not Phil. Phil replaced Mattrick and immediately got rid of the Kinect mandatory bundle with every console, got rid of the always-online mandate, cut the price of the One to under $400, and added the headset jack to the One controller instead of the horrible proprietary jack Xbox had forced for 14 years prior. Sorry, but not seeing how he's the problem. Software pipeline was for years and continues to be the weak point for Xbox, and that's not changing overnight, but games also take 5-6 years to make now 🤷‍♂️. Under Phil, for years now, particularly since the start of the current generation, Xbox has continued to get more and more support from Japanese publishers. Ongoing, but progress is progress. And up until now that has historically always been a major weak point for Xbox platforms from the original through to the end of the One generation.

Personally, I realize this is only anecdotal, but I love my Series X and am completely happy with it.

Last edited:

Bond007

Im good- i wont be investing in this brand any longer.
Im not an Xbox guy by any means- i just buy all the consoles. Seems to me that buying anything Xbox is sort of pointless to me at this point. My series X will just keep things going on that front and i will subscribe and cancel gamepass as i see fit.

No games/exclusives- no console purchases.
Why would i anyway when i can just play their games elsewhere- like they tell us is the thing of the future?

Last edited:

graywolf323

Nah. The One generation was Mattrick, not Phil. Phil replaced Mattrick and immediately got rid of the Kinect mandatory bundle with every console, got rid of the always-online mandate, cut the price of the One to under $400, and added the headset jack to the One controller instead of the horrible proprietary jack Xbox had forced for 14 years prior. Sorry, but not seeing how he's the problem. Software pipeline was for years and continues to be the weak point for Xbox, and that's not changing overnight, but games also take 5-6 years to make now 🤷‍♂️

Personally, I realize this is only anecdotal, but I love my Series X and am completely happy with it.
guess who took over as head of Xbox’s First Party studios in 2008? it’s not like Phil Spencer came in from the outside & had nothing to do with Xbox before 2014 🙄 he’s been in charge a LOT longer than Mattrick ever was yet people continue to act like nothing is his fault

frankly the Xbox evangelist base deserves the shit they get, as someone who loved my OG Xbox and 360 though it just makes me sad that the best exclusive games to play on my Series X are the BC games…

guess who took over as head of Xbox’s First Party studios in 2008? it’s not like Phil Spencer came in from the outside & had nothing to do with Xbox before 2014 🙄 he’s been in charge a LOT longer than Mattrick ever was yet people continue to act like nothing is his fault

frankly the Xbox evangelist base deserves the shit they get, as someone who loved my OG Xbox and 360 though it just makes me sad that the best exclusive games to play on my Series X are the BC games…
Yeah, you're not wrong. I guess I still just love my Series X and don't feel that I'm missing out on anything current-gen that's non-Nintendo. Not nearly enough to feel like I'm missing out and should've gotten a PS5. I do two consoles per generation, I don't do all three.

Top Bottom