• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 DRM: putting an end to the confusion [No 3rd party restriction/No online checks]

• Any PS4 game disc can be rented, resold, offered to friends (etc) with no checks or restrictions.
  • The online (multiplayer) component of third-party games could be restricted to second-users (with a paid online pass required to unlock).
  • However, the online component of third-party games may not be locked - the decision is down to the publisher.
  • When it comes to first-party games, there will be no online restrictions.
  • Traditional DRM policy (no lending) applies to digitally downloaded games, as usual.

http://www.computerandvideogames.co...n-on-disc-trading-but-online-drm-is-possible/

Any game that is made for PS4 that is physical goods, whether first-party or third-party, can go into a PS4 and play regardless of where it came from. The first player will play it, no problem, the second player will play it, no problem. What I was referring to was the online proposition. [The example was later given to me: If you buy a used disc from GameStop, you’ll have no problem popping that disc in and playing it from your PlayStation 4. The issue may arise when you try to jump online and play with other players. At that point, a third-party publisher may impose a fee or not allow that.]

The easiest way to explain it is — if you understand how it works on PlayStation 3, then that’s the same way it will work on PlayStation 4. No changes there. We’ve been out for six and a half years. It’s the same experience.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=584966

There's been some clarification over your exact policy from Jack today. We understand that third party publishers can still opt to implement some kind of online restriction on pre-owned games?

What he talked about is with the offline portion there's no difference from PS3 in that every game is playable on PS4. In terms of just getting access of multiplayer online, it's now taken care of at a platform level by PS Plus. So our first party titles had the online pass on PS3 and Vita. That we are not doing on PS4 because of that platform level. It's the same for third parties; when it comes to just giving you access to online multiplayer, it's PS Plus going forward.

There are lots of different reasons. One is that publishers are providing the network services. The simplest example is an MMO; you have a huge community and your constantly adding content... It's an online service. It doesn't make sense that a disc gives you access to all of the online service forever, right?

Another example is games that have content DLC included in a season pass. Outside of just giving access to multiplayer, it's at publishers' discretion to come up with a new business model and offer to consumers.

But that's limited to just the online aspect?

Yes.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/413102/interviews/the-ps4-interview-shuhei-yoshida/

"The gaming eco-system in the UK is a somewhat fragile one. That's another factor. We all know just how difficult it is for retailers, and while we're never going to make a policy decision to cushion the lives of video game retailers in a particular market, it's a factor that we need our retail partners to survive and hopefully prosper. That very fragile ecosystem is one I feel shouldn't be lightly tampered with."

He also noted the struggle that regions such as Eastern Europe, the Middle East, Africa and India could have with online connection requirements, like those of the Microsoft Xbox One.

"If you're talking about a mass level, an issue like that is very fundamental. We take a long-term view on those markets, and we invest heavily in them. In those places it isn't a core gamer issue: it's a fundamental issue."

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-06-12-scees-ryan-retailers-a-factor-in-drm-plans

"Online passes, we did announce that it's going away. That's because with PS+ being required to play online games, it doesn't make sense to have an online pass in conjunction with that."
"On very general terms, one business can't really dictate to another business what they want to do. So, in general, we're setting the standard, setting the tone, for the way we believe business is fairly run."
"At the end of the day, if they want to find a way to do it they can, but it's... I don't believe that's going to happen because we're setting the standard and all those publishers were there, they heard the applause. They know that consumers wants what's best for them."
"Internally, our goal was always to do what's best for the consumer."
"It's bigger than digital rights, that's the thing. We're talking about what everyone perceives as physical games. It's something you go to a store, you pay money for it, put it in your bag, and you take it home with you, and then when someone tells you what you can do with that thing? It doesn't feel right."
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=584711
http://www.giantbomb.com/podcasts/sony-s-scott-rohde-answers-your-burning-ps4-questi/1600-504/

So any confusion left pertains to the online portion of 3rd party games.

Bedlam

There will still be confusion, even when the system launches.

My guess is that big publishers will do a "Sim City" and claim their SP game has to be online all the time because "complex server-side calculations".

The good thing is, the blame will be on them. But expect lots of "it's not DRM" statements from guys like Peter Moore.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
There was confusion?

According to EDGE, third parties believe they can still do this. Sony is clear that they can't.

As I said in the other thread, if EDGE is correct and this decision was made last-minute, Sony hasn't had time to contact third party publishers and say that DRM/anti-used games isn't happening.

Third parties appear to believe it still is, if EDGE is correct.

Quoting myself from the other thread:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=62609296&postcount=65

So I mentioned this in the IRC chat yesterday before the conference, but a few hours before the it started I got a message from a third party publishing source saying that Sony had just confirmed with them that there would be no used game or mandatory online check in DRM on PS4. All current systems would stand, so games can still ship with online passes. Publishers are expected to work within the spirit of the current PS3 model so multi-player could definitely require an online pass for second hand purchases, but there will be no "used-game pass".

I've asked the source a few questions, just waiting for them to get back.

This information comes from a third party publishing source. PS4 is exactly the same as PS3 when it comes to DRM and used games. Publishers (including SCE) can put online content behind a paywall if the game is used. Online passes.

RobbieH

Quoting myself from the other thread:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=62609296&postcount=65

This information comes from a third party publishing source. PS4 is exactly the same as PS3 when it comes to DRM and used games. Publishers (including SCE) can put online content behind a paywall if the game is used. Online passes.

Thanks for this. Sony has been quite clear about how all of this will work but it doesn't matter how many quotes you post, some people will still find a way to say it'll be similar to Xbox One.

So I wonder what will happen with all of these games that are now perisistently online (or at least appear to be). The Crew, The Division, Destiny, etc.

I think more and more games will be online games anyway and this whole "always online/DRM" thing will become increasingly irrelevant.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Here's my post from the Edge thread:

Everything isn't a conspiracy.

The article claims there is some sort of secret conspiracy to mislead customers. And now reaction in this thread is that the EDGE is part of some moneyhat microsoft PR team.

#truthfacts

1. Sony is VERY clear about how the DRM works. It's online passes and service based games. That's it

2. This isn't part of a larger plot by microsoft, this is just one singular awful and shitty article by edge.

Both sides need to chill.
Yep.

http://www.destructoid.com/did-sony-confirm-drm-on-ps4-after-all-not-quite--256052.phtml
Sony has outright confirmed my initial interpretation. As reported by GameFront, Sony has stated that Tretton's use of the term "DRM" referred only to playing used games online. Essentially, they're talking about letting publishers use online passes, and no other kind of restrictions. This also sounds like Sony is scrapping its own online passes, which makes sense if PS Plus is the new online standard.

http://www.gamefront.com/sony-third-party-drm-refers-to-playing-used-games-online-only/
“The Online Pass program for PlayStation first-party games will not continue on PlayStation 4,” he said. “Similar to PS3, we will not dictate the online used game strategy (the ability to play used games online) of its publishing partners. As announced last night, PS4 will not have any gating restrictions for used disc-based games. “When a gamer buys a PS4 disc they have right to use that copy of the game, so they can trade-in the game at retail, sell it to another person, lend it to a friend, or keep it forever.”

BMgE2qtCYAA6cQ7.jpg:large

http://allthingsd.com/20130611/five-questions-about-the-ps4-for-sonys-jack-tretton/

AllThingsD: First off, people seemed really excited at last night’s [Sony PlayStation] event when you announced the no-DRM policy, which would allow for freer sharing of games. But this morning there was still confusion, and some countered that there are restrictions on game sharing. Can you offer a simple explanation for how this will work with the PS4?

Any game that is made for PS4 that is physical goods, whether first-party or third-party, can go into a PS4 and play regardless of where it came from. The first player will play it, no problem, the second player will play it, no problem. What I was referring to was the online proposition. [The example was later given to me: If you buy a used disc from GameStop, you’ll have no problem popping that disc in and playing it from your PlayStation 4. The issue may arise when you try to jump online and play with other players. At that point, a third-party publisher may impose a fee or not allow that.]

The easiest way to explain it is — if you understand how it works on PlayStation 3, then that’s the same way it will work on PlayStation 4. No changes there. We’ve been out for six and a half years. It’s the same experience.

doemaaan

It kinda sucks when I think about it. Correct me if I'm wrong though. Let's say you are not a hardcore multiplayer gamer. You wouldn't need PS+ for anything, right?

Ok, let's say you want to rent/borrow Battlefield 7 one day and play a couple games online. What's going to happen? If EA implements that DRM thing, you're going to have to pay a fee to play the game online? As well as buy PS+ subscription? All that for a weekend of online multiplayer?

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
It's amazing that people are still confused over this when Sony has clarified it so many times, or think that Sony is lying.

Goldrusher

It's amazing that people are still confused over this.
This thread isn't helping either.

Yoshida said there won't be ANY online passes. Not first-, not third-party.
I'll believe him over anyone else at Sony.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/413102/interviews/the-ps4-interview-shuhei-yoshida/

In terms of just getting access of multiplayer online, it's now taken care of at a platform level by PS Plus. So our first party titles had the online pass on PS3 and Vita. That we are not doing on PS4 because of that platform level. It's the same for third parties; when it comes to just giving you access to online multiplayer, it's PS Plus going forward.

What will still be possible though, are DLC codes, season passes and MMO subscriptions.
But basic online multiplayer will not require a code.

So I wonder what will happen with all of these games that are now perisistently online (or at least appear to be). The Crew, The Division, Destiny, etc.

I think more and more games will be online games anyway and this whole "always online/DRM" thing will become increasingly irrelevant.

Yes i expect more games to be like that but they not even going to be 5% of all the games that going to come out next gen .

magenta

Sony will probably use the RFID tech imbedded on each disc that they patented a while back as its system level DRM. A quick check for the RFID to make sure it is a legit disc (rather than a burned copy) and off we go. You won't be able to buy a blank disc with that tech at retail.

This thread isn't helping either.

Yoshida said there won't be ANY online passes. Not first-, not third-party.
I'll believe him over anyone else at Sony.

What will still be possible though, are DLC codes, season passes and MMO subscriptions.
But basic online multiplayer will not require a code.

Add Scott Rohde to the list,

http://www.giantbomb.com/podcasts/sony-s-scott-rohde-answers-your-burning-ps4-questi/1600-504/

A very good listen.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
This is utter nonsense. I think this is a case of Edge's contacts giving them false information. A mod can vouch for me here as I told them the DRM policy of the PS4 several weeks ago. And I'm not exactly the President of SCE, so when I learnt of that information (which was prior to that), it means it was set in stone even before the official announcement of the PS4 in February. It's basically PS3 2.0. There hasn't been a back and forth internally with changing what the policy entails and it certainly wasn't decided at the last minute.

Verendus from the Edge thread.

Sony will probably use the RFID tech imbedded on each disc that they patented a while back as its system level DRM. A quick check for the RFID to make sure it is a legit disc (rather than a burned copy) and off we go. You won't be able to buy those disc with that tech at retail.

Sony isn't going to have system level DRM..

Mung

There was no confusion. See the slide. No online checks. Games can be shared, and the single player will work without extra cost.

FUD.

Minigo

Only people still saying it's unclear are people that want it as bad as the XBONE so they don't feel they are the only one getting screwed.

Sony will probably use the RFID tech imbedded on each disc that they patented a while back as its system level DRM. A quick check for the RFID to make sure it is a legit disc (rather than a burned copy) and off we go. You won't be able to buy those disc with that tech at retail.

Remember that used game patent Sony had for PS3...

The Lamp

The online (multiplayer) component of third-party games could be restricted to second-users (with a paid online pass required to unlock).

What he talked about is with the offline portion there's no difference from PS3 in that every game is playable on PS4. In terms of just getting access of multiplayer online, it's now taken care of at a platform level by PS Plus. So our first party titles had the online pass on PS3 and Vita. That we are not doing on PS4 because of that platform level. It's the same for third parties; when it comes to just giving you access to online multiplayer, it's PS Plus going forward.

These two seem contradictory to me?

softie

They say there won't be any online passes on the PS4, but publishers could do some DRM shit like, "Yeah you want preorder-stuff or DLCs coming with new game copies? Buy a new game and activate it with our service (like UPlay, Origin, etc.)!" So they could still do some sort of "online-passy" shit, but of course it's not really recommended by Sony, because publishers get money by participating in the PS+ programme and it would make them look stupid (not that publishers care about making stupid decisions, but the public is sensibilized now and will call them out).

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
IGN and EDGE among others, for some reason, really sound as though they want to make it more complicated, as though there is more to it. Absolutely ridiculous.

IGN and EDGE among others, for some reason, really sound as though they want to make it more complicated, as though there is more to it. Absolutely ridiculous.

Some of it is probably a cynical/suspicious "there has to be a catch...", and then some of it is putting negative spin to make a prefered brand look less... bad.

RulkezX

The console wars have started for real now. It's pretty clear that "sources" with agendas are trying to change the narrative regarding Sony's used game / DRM policy.

The gaming websites have a duty to double check this stuff , I'm already seeing it spread on social media / non gaming forums that lolSonyLiez.

Top Bottom