• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shigeru Miyamoto on E3: 'I saw no games I would have liked to create myself'

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope nothing will be lost in translation...

E3 2013: "I saw no games I would have liked to create myself"

This year's E3 is obviously under the sign of the new generation with the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, each trying to steal the show with their respective exclusive title. What does Nintendo think about it?

We directly asked Shigeru Miyamoto. We know that the father of Mario and Zelda often has a habit of moving in the aisles to take a look at what is going on other than their own booths - we have seen him at Ubisoft last year, for instance, checking out Watch Dog. So what's his impression on E3 2013 and the catalogs of Sony and Microsoft?

"Of course, I would like to know what they do with their machines, but there is no game that I feel the need to go see. So far, from what I've seen on the show this year, there does not seem to be any games that I would like to have created myself."

You can find the full transcript of our exclusive interview with Shigeru Miyamoto next week at jeuxvideo.com.
Source: http://www.jeuxvideo.com/news/2013/...ai-pas-vu-de-jeux-que-j-aurais-aime-creer.htm

Neff

90% of everything on show, despite plenty of new IPs, was recycled game design in shiny new graphics. So I'm not in the least bit surprised he's saying this.

mia2b.jpg

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Its been a long time since Miyamoto has "created" a game anyway. Dude is on the tip of retiring and doesnt have much relevance for Nintendo going forward. Shame he couldnt end on some amazing new IP note and drop the mic after it.

90% of everything on show, despite plenty of new IPs, was recycled game design in shiny new graphics. So I'm not in the least bit surprised he's saying this.

Same as Nintendo's showing then, minus new IPs?

linko9

Its been a long time since Miyamoto has "created" a game anyway. Dude is on the tip of retiring and doesnt have much relevance for Nintendo going forward. Shame he couldnt end on some amazing new IP note and drop the mic after it.

You have a source for this? This goes counter to all currently existing information about the company, including interviews conducted over E3, so I'm interested to know where you got this idea.

la_briola

First: it is translated. Second: he already told in other interviews that he liked games he saw.

I don't know whats the problem here.

AzaK

Each to their own if course but maybe if he expanded his horizons he'd find he might want to make something different. Something that might have been like something he saw. Unless he only saw shooters.

Madness

Sort of like Nintendo's offerings no? I mean come on, I love Shigeru, but he didn't get thrilled by the features in upcoming games like the Division or Destiny?

What about a game like Project Spark? I'm sure he'll get a free pass because of his past acclaim, but I'm pretty sure other devs are saying, we saw nothing from Nintendo we'd want to make ourselves.

Bummer, i thought maybe he liked Tearaway.

Maybe he didn't get to see it.

Seriously most of the interesting stuff (from a game design standpoint) for me was hidden away from the spotlight. Everyone was lapping up the big blockbuster stuff. Obviously it's enough to put some MMO lipstick on a shooter to completely rid themselves of the foul stench of stagnating game design.

To be fair though, NIntendo themselves showed nothing that was breaking new game design ground. So it's weird seeing Miyamoto to call others out for making uninspired stuff.

This whole E3 was an exercise in boring sameness but with MMO features sprinkled in for good measure.

Sort of like Nintendo's offerings no? I mean come on, I love Shigeru, but he didn't get thrilled by the features in upcoming games like the Division or Destiny?

What about a game like Project Spark? I'm sure he'll get a free pass because of his past acclaim, but I'm pretty sure other devs are saying, we saw nothing from Nintendo we'd want to make ourselves.

He didn't say that he disliked them, he just didn't see any that he was absolutely compelled to take part in.

And no, I daresay the Tom Clancy shooter didn't hold all that much appeal for Miyamoto.

He didn't say that he disliked them, he just didn't see any that he was absolutely compelled to take part in.

And no, I daresay the Tom Clancy shooter didn't hold all that much appeal for Miyamoto.

Seriously, people need to read before they post that shit. He's not saying "lolol the games are garbage." He's saying it's not something he would have made himself. Yet everyone here is getting ridiculously defensive about it.

Mechazawa

Please tell me you are a master of wit.

This can not be the reason he wasn't interested in the games at the show for the MOST INSANELY OBVIOUS REASONS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom